Highlighted
3 Silver

Re: XPS 8900, M.2 NVMe SSD boot compatibility? (details within)

Jump to solution

Hi AF_Bob,

I should point out that solving the boot problem by disconnecting the HDD apparently only works if you do so immediately after cloning the HDD to the new SSD, before booting from the SSD.  As you are already booting from the SSD, you will need to use a Macrium Reflect Rescue CD and run "Fix Windows Boot Problems" just as I did.

Good luck!

Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Martin,

I'm not exactly sure what I did, but I think most things are running correctly now. After I initially cloned the SSD and rebooted, none of my programs were running correctly. It was still booting from my original HDD but when I clicked on Outlook email, it was like I was a brand new user. That's when I rebooted into BIOS and changed the boot drive. I couldn't change cables since my HDD was SATA 3.5" and my SSD was M.2 on a PCIe card. I'm not sure I have everything configured correctly. I noticed a "Windows notice" on my screen that I wasn't using a legal copy" so I looked up the error code and did something in the SETTINGS app and it fixed itself. For some reason, Windows didn't think I had a license.

I'm not sure the best way to use my old 1TB HDD. I was going to put all my data on the HDD and just use my SSD for the OS, but since I'm only using 25% of my SSD space, I thought I'd continue to keep everything on the SSD except for perhaps DOWNLOADS and old data files. How do you use your HDD with your SSD?

I am definitely enjoying going from 153MB/s to 3,569MB/s.

SSD_Speed_XPS8900.JPG

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

@AF_Bob To use your old 1TB HDD as additional storage you need to first reinitialize it which will basically wipe the OS, partitions, data, etc. from it. You need to reconnect the HDD, boot using the F12 Boot Menu to make sure you are booting from the SSD. The procedure to reinitialize the HDD uses DiskPart. Here is the procedure: 

https://macrorit.com/partition-magic-manager/initialize-disk-gpt-mbr-from-cmd-diskpart.html

Make sure you use the 'list disk' command to identify the HDD and the 'select disk' command to select the correct drive to reinitialize.

If you are using Windows 10, you can use the HDD as additional storage by changing where new content is saved. Go to All settings, System, Storage, and click on 'Change where new content is saved', then change where new apps, new documents, new music, new photos, etc. are saved to the HDD. You have to move (copy and delete) existing documents, music, photos, etc. Some apps prefer to be installed on the drive with the OS and existing apps have to be uninstalled and then reinstalled if you wish to put them on the HDD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

VIC384,

Thanks for the info and the link. Since I'm only using 120GB (24%) of my new 500GB SSD, I'm not in a super hurry to move the data yet, but since 48GB is in MYDOCUMENTS alone, I should probably move things sooner rather than later. And the info on "Change where content is saved" is definitely quicker than what I was thinking of doing. I appreciate all the info. 

I wish I could just use Macrium to click on the OS portion and say delete...but nothing is that easy! LOL

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Re: XPS 8900, M.2 NVMe SSD boot compatibility?

Jump to solution

Hi Vic384,

Thanks for your helpful comments.  The instructions which I posted on Page 1 of this thread outline the steps but I could not give every detail. However, further information is readily available on the internet when you know what you are searching for from the summary!  This relates to Step 7 in my original post.

As you say, to re-purpose the HDD for data storage you need to use DISKPART from the Command Prompt to clean the HDD & remove the EFI boot partition (I used the instructions here).  You must then use Disk Management (right-click Start) to re-initialise, format & name the HDD as “DATA” (I used the instructions here in the section "Create a New Volume").

The background to moving default data folders to a different drive is usefully summarised here.  To move existing data to the new data drive you do not copy and delete.  You right-click on the folder you wish to move and then click on "Properties" > Location tab > "Move" to browse and select the new location (it is clearly explained here).

0 Kudos