Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 23rd, 2018 04:00

XPS 8900, On/Off button issue

The On/Off button on my XPS 8900 is becoming increasingly unresponsive, often taking several attempts to start up my PC. No problem once it connects which suggests an electrical contact or power issue maybe? The desktop is about 2 years old and has been in continuous use.  Thanks in advance for any advice re. this, especially if there's a quick fix to try before a more costly option.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

November 23rd, 2018 05:00

Sounds like an obvious power switch problem, especially if pressing the switch a few times eventually starts the system. And after it starts runs just fine. EBay link for the assy.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Genuine-Dell-XPS-8900-Power-Button-Assembly-7r574-07r574/537376344

Dell part number...

Dell XPS 8900 Power Button Assembly 7R574 07R574

Dell Spare Parts at 800-357-3355..have your service tag when/if you call.

November 23rd, 2018 06:00

Great! Thanks for your help.

8 Posts

January 7th, 2019 17:00

I had the same problem with the power on button of my XPS 8900. I had to press it repeatedly before it lit up, got worse over time. I removed the front bezel and sprayed some contact cleaner into the button assembly from the front. Fix the problem.  

January 8th, 2019 03:00

Thanks for that. This is exactly what my problem was. Like you, I cleaned the contacts. I have a cheap second hand replacement module on hand though, just in case. 

2 Posts

January 11th, 2019 09:00

I hadn't considered trying "old fashioned" contact cleaner. I will give that a shot as well as getting another unit sent in just in case. We've gotten too dependent on computers to be off for too long, especially around bill pay days. Going with sleep mode till this gets resolved.

8 Posts

February 12th, 2019 08:00

Think I may have the same issue (2 year old xps8900). Last night shut down normally. Then this am, pushed power button - no response - nothing with repeated attempts. unplugged AC, re-plugged - nothing. Then pushed button on power supply & fans run while holding in, but still nothing from power button. Opened case and unplugged/replugged about every power cable in the boot chain I could think of thinking maybe the Florida humidity had taken its toll. Then tried holding the button on power supply and pushing the power button several times and holding. Sounded like the disc started to boot, but stopped. Then disconnected power cord and replugged and machine booted w/out touching power button& ran fine. Checked event viewer and nothing noteworthy.

Shut down from windows and normal shutdown. But again dead power button. Tried same routine with holding power supply button and pushing the power button several times, then disconnect/reconnect power cord and got it to boot normally again. Think I'll try the contact cleaner. Anyone have a link for instructions on accessing power button?

BTW, after reading some nightmare stories about bios upgrades from a year ago, I passed on the bios upgrade. Don't think that would figure in with this issue though.

1 Message

February 20th, 2019 22:00

Well trying to find a solution. I found a service manual on the

Dell's website, for me Canadian site, that shows how take apart

computer piece by piece and replace it.

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/xps-8900-desktop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

How this helps.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

January 12th, 2020 11:00

@Mr W wrote:

BTW, after reading some nightmare stories about bios upgrades from a year ago, I passed on the bios upgrade. Don't think that would figure in with this issue though.

A good choice about the BIOS. The forums are full of BIOS updates gone bad. I have an Inspiron 5575 and have never updated the BIOS and it runs like a charm. Unless you are having a specific problem that the BIOS update addresses best to let it be.

1 Message

January 22nd, 2020 20:00

How did you turn on PC without the button?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2020 04:00

@Kq22 It is possible to turn on a PC without the power on/off button if you have something called the AC Recovery option in the BIOS. Credit goes to @RoHe who posted the procedure here: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8500-Start-up-issue/m-p/7451076#M30203

No Events found!