Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 4th, 2020 17:00

XPS 8900, clone/remove HDD to SSD?

Hi,

XPS 8900, Intel-Core i7-6700K, cpu 4.01GHz, RAM 16GB, 64 bit Windows 10 Home v.1903.

Just had a peek inside this desktop & realised it is running an antiquated disc drive ~ C-drive ~ HDD.

Can I remove this - clone it to a SSD - and just boot on the new solid drive please?

Also noticed a vast obstruction to the MOBO if I wanted to install a second drive, this huge piece of hardware covers completely the sata ports.

Many thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 15th, 2020 10:00

"Will that GF bracket really come out by just removing it at the side of the pc - as shown in the manual - it is surely secured at the back of the case as well?" I don't have that model Dell so I don't know, but according to the the manual the bracket is not secured in the back. 

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 4th, 2020 18:00

I looked at the motherboard layout in the Service Manual and cannot picture what could obstruct the SATA ports. There appears to be a total of five SATA ports grouped in two locations. 

You don't have to remove the HDD in order to clone it. Just connect the new SSD to one of the unused SATA ports and use something like Macrium Reflect Free Edition to clone the HDD, then disconnect the HDD and connect the SSD to the SATA port that was being used by the HDD.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 4th, 2020 21:00

Thank you.

Afraid I don't know how to use Macrium Reflect Free Edition.

Better take a picture of that 'girder' inside the 8900, never seen anything quite like it.

Will update.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 5th, 2020 08:00

Here are some pictures of the 8900 interior.

You can see the blue SATA cable snakes back & down, behind the GeForce panel, so the SATA sockets will be obscured by this panel, I can't see them at all.

It's an old disc drive, it has the 8900 going at a snail's pace.

Is there an instructional video for the cloning software please?

Many thanks.GeForce PanelGeForce Panel8900 XPS Interior8900 XPS InteriorHDD Sata cableHDD Sata cable

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 5th, 2020 09:00

We can't see your images until they are approved by the moderator. 

As far as an instructional video, there are several on YouTube. Go to YouTube and search 'clone disk with macrium reflect free'. Depending upon the SSD brand you purchase, some offer free cloning software that can be downloaded. For example, Samsung SSDs offer a free download of Samsung Data Migration software that can be used to clone your HDD.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 5th, 2020 09:00

Thank you.

I must have your advice regarding the obscured SATA sockets please, I cannot proceed otherwise.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 5th, 2020 11:00

It appears to me that there is a black plastic support bracket that supports the end of the GeForce video card. In some cases this bracket is optional. I think you refer to it as the GeForce panel. In the Service Manual, there is a procedure for removing the graphics card bracket on page 30. Once you remove the bracket you should be able to access the SATA ports on the motherboard behind the bracket. It also appears to me that the bracket can be removed and still leave the power cables connected to the graphics card.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 5th, 2020 13:00

OK I see it.

Will update - with thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 10th, 2020 03:00

SSD now arrived, will fit it over next couple of days & update.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 12th, 2020 07:00

Have now downloaded Macrium 7

1). It shows a red partition, should this concern me?

2). Should I disconnect the DVD-Rom drive please, since Macrium also sees this as a hard drive?

3). The mix of FAT & NTFS formats - is this a good thing, or should they all be the same format?

Reflect-7. Drives recognised before SSD inserted.jpg

Getting a slew of 'black screen' instances on boot, hopefully setting the screen to 'off never' will sort that.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 12th, 2020 13:00

1. I suggest you download the Macrium Reflect User Guide. On page 109, there is a partition similar to yours in red. 

2. You should not have to disconnect the DVD drive. I don't see it in the image you posted. Perhaps Macrium sees it as a hard drive because you have a CD/DVD in the drive?

3. The partitions can be different formats. Again, see the picture on page 109 of the User Guide.

Page 139 of the User Guide is the first page of the 'Cloning a disk' procedure.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 12th, 2020 22:00

"I suggest you download the Macrium Reflect User Guide. On page 109, there is a partition similar to yours in red. "

Thanks, I see it.

Why is it red please - & it is checked, all the others aren't?

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 12th, 2020 22:00

"I don't see [dvd-rom drive] in the image you posted. Perhaps Macrium sees it as a hard drive because you have a CD/DVD in the drive?"

Thank you.

This is the 'LITEON' disc drive - there is no cd/dvd in it, I checked.

1 Rookie

• 

258 Posts

July 13th, 2020 04:00

Thanks. I'll leave them all checked - if there's anything I don't want, I can delete it on the cloned drive.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 13th, 2020 04:00

The image in the manual is an example of selecting a partition to image. The partition that is red is checked because it is selected as the partition to image. When you run Macrium Reflect it automatically places a check on all the partitions, you have to uncheck the ones you don't want to clone or image.

No Events found!