Vic384
5 Tungsten

Re: SSD for XPS 8900 - ?

Jump to solution

1. I suggest you download the Macrium Reflect User Guide. On page 109, there is a partition similar to yours in red. 

2. You should not have to disconnect the DVD drive. I don't see it in the image you posted. Perhaps Macrium sees it as a hard drive because you have a CD/DVD in the drive?

3. The partitions can be different formats. Again, see the picture on page 109 of the User Guide.

Page 139 of the User Guide is the first page of the 'Cloning a disk' procedure.

0 Kudos
kr236rk02
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

"I don't see [dvd-rom drive] in the image you posted. Perhaps Macrium sees it as a hard drive because you have a CD/DVD in the drive?"

Thank you.

This is the 'LITEON' disc drive - there is no cd/dvd in it, I checked.

0 Kudos
kr236rk02
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

"I suggest you download the Macrium Reflect User Guide. On page 109, there is a partition similar to yours in red. "

Thanks, I see it.

Why is it red please - & it is checked, all the others aren't?

0 Kudos
Vic384
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

The image in the manual is an example of selecting a partition to image. The partition that is red is checked because it is selected as the partition to image. When you run Macrium Reflect it automatically places a check on all the partitions, you have to uncheck the ones you don't want to clone or image.

kr236rk02
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Thanks. I'll leave them all checked - if there's anything I don't want, I can delete it on the cloned drive.

0 Kudos
Vic384
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

I don't recall you mentioning the size of your current HDD and the size of your new SSD. If your new SSD is larger, you may want to consider expanding the size of the C drive (OS partition). You can use 'Cloned Partition Properties' in Macrium Reflect to modify the size of each partition in the destination drive. If you clone the C partition and it is followed by another partition you will not be able to expand the C partition later.

kr236rk02
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

They are both 2TB, old one disc, new one SSD.

0 Kudos
kr236rk02
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

May I enquire as to the purpose of all these Captcha pop-ups please?

Are usernames & passwords insufficient for security purposes - if so, why bother with them at all - just use Captcha to verify that we are indeed "not robots" - ?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Vic384
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

In the past, there have been a few times this forum was flooded with posts that were obviously junk. I think this is an attempt to make that more difficult to do.

kr236rk02
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Windows 10 Disk Management shows the C drive as all healthy, all blue, all partitions: no red sections.

Macrium shows the red sector.

There's no option to increase the capacity of the red sector in Macrium that I can see, by clicking on the red sector. When I click on 'analyze' I get a result 'healthy' for this sector.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear moderators & administrators, I hearby confirm that I am not a robot, please disengage your captcha pop-ups from virtually every single post I make, they are not making this thread any easier for me, I do not want to mess up this upgrade project.

Thank you.

0 Kudos