Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

27 Posts

November 6th, 2018 14:00

XPS 8900, ethernet disconnects for a few seconds

So, following my "wifi" issues, I've gone with a wired ethernet connection. I used new cabling from my FIOS router to a 6 port gigabit ethernet switch. My Mac, this new Dell XPS and a Lenovo all-in-one are connected to the switch with new 6' cables. All cables are high quality cat 6 and I've swapped cables with the problematic Dell as well as swapped ports. Here's what happens:

Only on the Dell, this does not happen on the Lenovo or Mac - they are solid as a rock. The Dell, however, disconnects for 1-2 seconds. I see this in Skype for Business - it disconnects then almost immediately reconnects - as well as RDP remoting in to my AWS production servers - it goes black with a message saying lost internet connection and then reconnects. This does not happen at all on the other machines so it is not a router or switch issue and I've swapped cables and ports and the problem follows the Dell XPS. I've googled and found saw that updating driver or reinstalling driver might fix it - it did not. Any recommendations/suggestions greatly appreciated! 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 6th, 2018 15:00

You need to go into power mismanagement and NOT ALLOW windows to shut this device off to save power.

NOT ALLOW windows to turn off PCI-E slots.

NOT ALLOW windows narcalepsy every 20 minutes.

It will sleep every 20 minutes EVEN IN HIGH PERFORMANCE mode unless you set that to never or 960 minutes instead.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 6th, 2018 16:00

To add to what Speedstep already said, you should try turning off Hybrid Sleep on the "Additional Options" page for your active Power plan in Win 10. Save the change before exiting the Power settings screen.

And then open Device Manager and double-click the entry for the Ethernet adapter. Click its Power Management tab and uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...".

27 Posts

November 6th, 2018 17:00

Ok, thanks gents. I've implemented all recommendations so now we wait!

27 Posts

November 7th, 2018 08:00

All seems to be working well now! Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 7th, 2018 10:00

:Yes:   :Yes:

Please mark this thread as Answered - thanks.

27 Posts

November 15th, 2018 08:00

Well, the problem just re-appeared this morning. It's happened again several times. I've gone back and verified: Device Manager-Power Management: unchecked "allow the compute to turn off..." Power Options-Edit plan Settings-Change advanced power settings: Sleep-Sleep after: 180 minutes Allow hybrid sleep: off Hybernate after: never PCI Express-Link State Power Management: off Did I miss anything? The answer from speedstep "NOT ALLOW windows narcolepsy every 20 minutes" I assumed was the sleep setting (now 180 minutes). Is this correct?

27 Posts

November 15th, 2018 08:00

It appears that there were 2 updates applied last night with a reboot so that is probably the root of the issue returning (the reboot I suspect). But the question is, what setting had I changed that got reset and why did it reset.

(these are the only updates applied since I "resolved" this issue earlier)

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 15th, 2018 11:00

Sorry the gremlin came back...

What version of Windows is this? Do you know what updates got installed? Where did you get the updated ethernet driver you said you installed?

Is something running the background that hogs the CPU and affects the NIC?

Shouldn't matter to the ethernet adapter, but you might consider disabling USB Selective Suspend in your active power plan on the advanced screen.

I see there's an Intel Device Manager Diagnostics Utility listed under Network on the Support page for the XPS 8900, so you might want to install/run that, assuming you have the Intel I2xx/825xx Gigabit Ethernet Controller. Be sure to pick the right version of Windows before downloading the file.

And you might try updating the 3 Intel Chipset drivers for your version of Windows.

BTW: Does this problem happen if none of your other devices is powered on, so the XPS 8900 is the only device using the router? Does the router support QoS which assigns data priorities to connected devices? If the XPS 8900 is at the bottom of the priority list, the router might disconnect for an instant to support your other device(s) at their assigned priority levels. - Just a thought...

And if all else fails, manually set a System Restore point to be safe. Then go into Device Manager and right-click the NIC entry and Uninstall it. Then reboot and let Windows find and reinstall it.

27 Posts

November 15th, 2018 19:00

Windows 10 Pro version 1803

updates installed last night (and no other updates have been installed since I started this thread)

KB4467694 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4467694/security-update-for-adobe-flash-player

KB4467702 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4467702/windows-10-update-kb4467702

The ethernet driver update was done by deleting the driver in Device Manager and letting the system reinstall it.

Yes, it happens even when the Dell is the only thing connected to the switch, the switch does not support QoS.

I will look at the Device Manager Diagnostic Utility now.

27 Posts

November 15th, 2018 19:00

Looks like I have the Rivet Networks Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet controller so the Intel utility won't help.

I do not know how to do this "And you might try updating the 3 Intel Chipset drivers for your version of Windows."

Where do I find the drivers for this?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 16th, 2018 10:00

I'm confused...  :TongueTied:

Dell only lists a Win 10 driver for the Intel I2xx/825xx Gigabit Ethernet Network Controller on their support page for the XPS 8900. No mentions of Rivet Networks Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet. So now I wonder when you allowed Windows to reinstall the driver, if it misidentified the NIC and installed the wrong driver...?

I'd download the Intel driver from the Dell link (above) to your desktop. Then manually set a System Restore point to be safe, and then double-click the download to install it and reboot. See if Device Manager shows the correct Intel NIC now.

There are 2 Intel Chipsets listed for XPS 8900 running Win 10: Intel 100 Series Chipset and Intel Management Engine Components. Download both of those onto your desktop. Set a Restore point and double-click one at a time starting with Chipset to install them. Driver may reboot the PC or request you reboot, so follow the prompts.

Note: some driver downloads only unzip when you double-click the file. So keep an eye on it and note the location of the folder where the unzipped files are saved, in case you have to manually navigate there and double-click a "setup.exe" file to launch the actual installation for the driver.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 16th, 2018 11:00

Oh...I forgot all about this... :Embarrassed:

Make sure you completely get rid of any Killer Control Panel and/or SmartByte software that might have gotten installed since it thinks you have Killer Ethernet.  Killer and SmartByte are causing all kinds of NIC issues. Read this.

27 Posts

November 17th, 2018 08:00

Ok, thanks! I removed the killer control panel, updated the driver to the latest from their site. I do not find SmartByte - is it an app?

I only installed the E2X drivers using the Killer Performance Driver Suite UWD installer. This installed 9.0.0.48 as per the post you linked.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 17th, 2018 11:00

That wasn't quite what I meant... :Wink:

Good that you removed the Killer control panel. But I wanted you to completely delete all Killer software and drivers, and install ONLY the Intel network driver from Dell's site that I had linked for you. Here's the link to the Dell driver again:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=D8VDT&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-8900-desktop

SmartByte is an app. If you don't find it, don't worry because you don't want that garbage.

27 Posts

November 18th, 2018 08:00

RoHe, thanks. 

Is the Intel driver you linked above compatible with the Killer E2400 controller in my PC? The reason I ask is because after the driver install (which did not give any indication of failure) I see that the existing driver is still installed and found this in the installer log file:

11/18/18 11:49:29: Installation was not successful.
The most likely cause is no supported network connection exists on this platform.

In any event, after removing the control panel and updating the driver to the killer "48" version, I have not had a disconnect again. Of course, I was here before!

No Events found!