Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 16th, 2018 16:00

XPS 8900, has BIOS version 2.2.1 been updated?

When XPS BIOS version 2.2.1 was released in December, it caused problems for some people (rendered this computer unusable). Maybe this only affects one computer in thousands, but I don't want to take a chance that something like that will happen to me, so I've been waiting to update the BIOS on my 8900. Now when I check my drivers & downloads page here at Dell, it shows the release date of BIOS 2.2.1 (Dec. 22, 2017) and shows that it was updated Jan. 11, 2018. Has Dell updated the BIOS so that now it'll (hopefully) prevent the problems people had with the original version? I'm wondering whether the BIOS has been updated because the version hasn't changed, it's still version 2.2.1.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 17th, 2018 11:00

2.2.1 is the last one listed.

Did you happen to copy the Fixes info from back in Dec? The page currently lists a fix for CVE-2017-5715 (Spectre) so that might have been added between the Dec release and the Jan update, though I'd be surprised if that was the case since Dell didn't change the version number.

Don't know if they ever isolated the cause for problems with the Dec release of 2.2.1 so you'll only know if it works for you, if you try it. Back up your personal files on external media first, to be safe, if you decide to run the update. :Wink:

64 Posts

January 17th, 2018 13:00

I didn't copy the fixes info from December.

If it was just that one isolated case, I'd think the guy just had bad luck, but there've been more. There's also this message here on Dell (in which you replied to the poster), and there's also this message on Reddit (which had a reply from someone who'd also had problems). If many people are having problems with this update, why does Dell still have it available?

I may still take a chance and install it, but I'm not sure if having an updated BIOS is worth the risk of having it kill my computer.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 17th, 2018 15:00

All I know is that Dell captured some XPS 8900 systems that had problems after updating to BIOS 2.2.1.  I don't know what they found, or if they've fixed whatever the problem was by releasing the updated version of 2.2.1, or how they helped users whose systems were affected.

We also don't know what percentage of XPS 8900 systems that were updated to BIOS 2.2.1 had problems. Typically, we only hear about it when somebody has a problem with something, but we don't hear from those who didn't have a problem. So there's really no way to know if this is a 1% problem rate or a 50% rate. I haven't seen more than maybe ~10 reports of a problem with 2.2.1 on Dell's forums so I'd suspect the % is low.

Only you can decide what to do after balancing the risks vs the need to get firmware updates to fix the ME, Meltdown, and Spectre issues.

If you decide to update, post back and tell us the results, which -hopefully- are good, or not...

64 Posts

January 17th, 2018 16:00

Thanks for the information. I think that I will try updating the BIOS. Maybe tomorrow when I have more time. If I do I'll post a message here with the (hopefully positive) results. I've always kept all of my computers updated with the newest BIOS version available, and it bugs me that this one isn't updated.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 17th, 2018 16:00

Back up your files on external media first!

Read/follow the flash instructions carefully, and disconnect all peripherals, except mouse, monitor and keyboard, before you start the update.

Good luck, hope it works...

64 Posts

January 18th, 2018 07:00

I updated the BIOS. It went smoothly. I've restarted the computer a couple times just to check, and everything's working normally.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 19th, 2018 18:00

Don't know what happened, but this thread disappeared for a few days...

Glad the BIOS update worked for you. :Yes: :Yes:

64 Posts

January 19th, 2018 18:00

Yesterday afternoon I came here, signed in, and got this:

You are not allowed to access this site.

We're sorry, but you have been banned from this site.

Every message I'd ever written here had been removed... Apparently it was some kind of glitch with the new forums. It got fixed today.

1 Message

January 19th, 2018 20:00

Do not upgrade.  I upgraded mine this morning and it now will not boot into Windows 7 past the Windows logo.  I've spent the better part of the day trying to figure out how to downgrade my BIOS.

Supposedly there is a BIOS recovery capability but the Control-Escape key sequence upon boot doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas on how to downgrade my BIOS?

64 Posts

January 20th, 2018 06:00

Not sure how much I'll be able to help. Have you read the messages here? Maybe trying to do some of the suggestions by RoHe will fix the problem.

Maybe you should start a new discussion and ask for help, you might have better luck getting replies that way.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 20th, 2018 12:00

@mlarish wrote:

Do not upgrade.  I upgraded mine this morning and it now will not boot into Windows 7 past the Windows logo.  I've spent the better part of the day trying to figure out how to downgrade my BIOS.

Supposedly there is a BIOS recovery capability but the Control-Escape key sequence upon boot doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas on how to downgrade my BIOS?

Which update of 2.2.1 did you use, the Dec'17 release or the Jan'18 release? This could be important!

Try clearing BIOS:

1. Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup, if you can - you may not be able to open setup
  2. Copy down all current setting
  3. Power off and unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery (see Service Manual for details)
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reinstall battery
  8. Close case and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard

If it still won't boot, contact Dell Tech Support ASAP. If they won't help because your system is out of warranty, ask to speak to Level 2 support.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 20th, 2018 12:00

@Mikey777 wrote:

Yesterday afternoon I came here, signed in, and got this:

You are not allowed to access this site.

We're sorry, but you have been banned from this site.

Every message I'd ever written here had been removed... Apparently it was some kind of glitch with the new forums. It got fixed today.

A bunch of users got banned earlier in the week. So some nasty bug got loose in the works and mucked things up here! :Wink:

19 Posts

January 20th, 2018 14:00

Well, here goes guys. Listen up. Just to give you a quick idea on my area of expertise. I am not a dell technician, but I am Microsoft certified with 6 certifications; from MOS expert all the way up to mcsd.

This update was geared more for the newest 8th gen processor chips. The software had a glitch where the microprocessor would actually burn out, right before your eyes. You can literally watch it go from normal to burnt black when it happens. This process is called meltdown and spectre vulnerabilities. Google it if you want to know more.

If you're not running an 8th gen processor, skip this update, as it will prob do more damage than good.

"I know, you should always keep your bios updated. But not in this case." Ive seen at least 1000 computers Ive repaired in the past month or 2...ALL WITH THE SAME ISSUE. THEY UPDATED AND DIDNT HAVE AN 8TH GEN PROCESSOR.

The only other cases Ive seen is when you dont disable your antivirus, programs running in the background(especially cloud services like one drive or google drive backing up at that moment in time. Google drive will kick on immediately trying to back up the new program your about to install.) This can lock up the computer or cause a major error locking up your computer thus turning it in to an overpriced paperweight for the time being.

Updating your bios is a MAJOR THING! Its more major than your OS, because it's the brain for the OS. You should NEVER have anything running in the background during it. The good ol fashion way of "Flashing" the bios is actually safer. So many things can go wrong when you update it with windows running. SO PLEASE, dont do it unless you dont care about the computer.

Lastly, Im not blaming anyone here. How are you to know all this without doing any research on the subject? There should be more warning and safety precaution instructions that go along with updating the bios. For some reason, the manufacturers think everyone knows how damaging it can be to screw this process up, how easily it can happen, and that this is an expert level update.

Oyeah one more thing. On the bright side Dell is one of the few companies that continually worked with Microsoft until they came up with a fix. This is it.

So, if you have an 8th gen processor YOU NEED THIS UPDATE. Take my precautions above and go for it. Otherwise , if you dont update, you can face the newly known meltdown spectre.

If you don't have an 8th gen, leave it alone. Just to be on the safe side. It goes against all previous rules to always keep your bios updated. But dont push the shiny red button lol.

I hope this helps everyone:)

19 Posts

January 20th, 2018 14:00

And as for a fix for this issue if your computer is now a paperweight. You can call dell if its under warranty and they can help(but prob 2-3 hours or more, **bleep** dell techs are VERY slow lol) No offense dell, I love you guys!

The previous poster, i think their name was "rohe" had probably the only thing that could work listed. It was actually a good list cause I cant think of anything else you could try and Ive been here many times with customers computers. 

Give rohe's advice a try. It cant hurt it anymore at this point.

I really hope this helps guys! I feel bad that I cant help with my hands on skills. I can unbrick just about anything these days.

Enjoy your weekend:)

January 22nd, 2018 10:00

I got a message about the urgent update on January 20, 2018.  I ran the update, and my machine was immediately crippled.  It is now dead.  I have done BIOS updates on more than a dozen Dell machines over the years without a problem.  In this case Dell knew there was a problem with this update, but kept pushing it out.   As a Professor of Computer Science, I always like to share stories with my students about unethical behavior by computing companies.  Now I have another story. Thanks Dell. 

No Events found!