Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

4 Posts

January 12th, 2019 09:00

XPS 8900, needs reboots, PTE MISUSE BSOD

Hi

I'm having this computer behaving strangely since yesterday. Did a bunch of updates and bios update last week. but it just started to act strangerly yesterday:

- boot loop after BSOD (system PTE misuse)

- then Dell diagnostics says no keyboard (bluetooth keyboard)

- start over 2/3 times by itself

- at some time it ends up working and booting normally

any idea of some kind of troubleshooting I could make? I'm lost..

Thanks!

WIN 10 home 

1809 build 17763.253

XPS8900 ST: HGQB082 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 12th, 2019 11:00

The PTE Misuse problem is memory related.  Either a program mis addressing memory or a physical memory problem.  Some of the others may be memory related too. 

You can run the diagnostics on the hard drive via F12 at power on.  There are also Dell on-line diagnostics 

Click Me

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 12th, 2019 19:00

Always include version of Windows in your posts. :Idea: 

If the diagnostics flag memory errors, reset the RAM modules in their slots.

If not, reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Don't know if this model has it (BIOS settings not in the online Service Manual), but look for a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) option in BIOS and disable it, if it's currently enabled.

Don't change anything else in BIOS, but safe the TPM change, if any...

4 Posts

January 13th, 2019 14:00

Thank you Fireberd!

Actually Dell diagnostics at boot automatically analysed the hardware and found no errors.

Dell support assist also checked it while in windows and couldn't find anything.

I have added a new internal hard drive that used to work very well on my nvidia shield. I have the feeling it's either the addition of that drive or right after windows did some update. I remember last time it worked well having clicked on "update and shut down" last Friday. 

Is it possible that I have accidentally damaged the RAM while installing the HDD making random error at startup?

I have also run a system file scan from command prompt and deep virus check with no result.

I have removed the new HDD i installed and set to a restore point but still have the issue, windows loads fine after 3 tentatives though...

memory test

However the system activity history from the dell support assist shows this info related to the blue screens:

Bug check code                            0x000000da
Bug check parameters                 0x0000000000000302, 

0xffffa6f400000000,

0x0000000000000001,

0x00000000ff400000

Device name                                Trusted Platform Module 2.0
Driver version                               10.0.17763.1

My version of windows is win10 Home 1809 Build 17763.253

4 Posts

January 13th, 2019 14:00

Hi it seems you're in the right direction as here are the codes of the issue:

Bug check code
0x000000da
Bug check parameters

0x0000000000000302,

0xffffa6f400000000,

0x0000000000000001,

0x00000000ff400000

Device name
Trusted Platform Module 2.0
Driver version

is it safe to disable TPM?

To reset the ram I just remove and reinstert?

thank you!
T

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 13th, 2019 17:00

Just to reiterate, I don't know for sure the XPS 8900 has TPM and I don't see any Win 10 drivers for it listed on the XPS 8900 support page...

Have you been using TPM and/or Bitlocker on your hard drive for security?

Is all your data backed on external media? You might lose stuff if you disable TPM (may be called "Intel Platform Trust Technology", or "PTT" in BIOS, if it's there). So do whatever you can to get it to boot and then back everything up on external media before looking to disable TPM in BIOS. 

Before you reseat the RAM, power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec before opening the case. Read the Service Manual for instructions to remove/install RAM.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 14th, 2019 12:00

This is second thread this week with PTE misuse error on XPS  8900.

What version of BIOS is running?

Pinged my Dell tech contact and who said you should find this in BIOS setup:

Security- TPM 2.0 Security
- Remove check from TPM ON
- Remove check from Enable TPM 2.0 Key Storage
- Remove check from Enable TPM 2.0 Attestation

Do not change anything else but save the TPM changes before exiting setup and reboot. 

Does that help?

4 Posts

January 14th, 2019 14:00

Thank you so much Ron!

BIOS version is Dell XPS 8900 System BIOS - 2.4.0 - 5 MB - Urgent - Installed

I have updated it last week actually..

I have unchecked the PTT setting as you recommended (there are no other settings as Key storage and attestation) and the computer started acting normal again. 

Then I re-attach my 2nd hard drive thinking the PTT was the troublemaker but then got another PTE MISUSE bsod after the 3rd reboot only (i was testing reliability). I also noticed something else, when trying to wake up the computer from sleep when this drive was attached it would take forever, longer than cold boot. While without this disk the computer usually wakes up almost instantly..

I removed the disk again and so far no more issues.. I'm not sure if I need to conclude:

• I should buy a new HDD (it was working perfectly fine on my other machine)
  • is it only an incompatibility?
  • bad setting somewhere?

Thank you so much for your help Ron!

Tristan

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 14th, 2019 18:00

Two steps forward! :Yes:

And one step backward... :TongueTied:

So now you only get the PTE error when that 2nd HDD is connected? Is 2nd HDD an internal drive or external USB drive? Either way, if you have its model number, go to that manufacturer's web site and look for a tool to test your specific drive. See if it reports any errors or problems. 

Then go to Dell's support page for this model and install the updated Intel Management Engine Components Installer for Win 10 which was just released. And then go to the Intel Download site and use their wizard to scan your system and offer updated drivers, if any. There might be a new chipset driver but last one Dell lists is from 2016. If Intel offers new driver(s) install them.

Reboot and open BIOS setup again. Look for a USB Wake Support option (or similar name) and make sure it's enabled. Since BIOS screens aren't in the online manual, I don't know if you have this option or not. Save the change, if any, and see if that helps.

Then boot to desktop and open Device Manager. Expand list under USB and double-click a root hub. Click its power management tab and uncheck the box: "Allow PC to turn off...". Repeat for all root hubs.

Now expand list under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager, and look at each entry for a power management tab. Uncheck that same box for all HID entries that have it and exit Device Manager.

Then open the Windows Power options screen and identify your active power plan. Click the link to change its settings. On next screen click Additional Options. And on that screen, disable Hibernation, disable Hybrid Sleep, disable USB Selective Suspend and disable PCI Express Link State Management. Save the changes to the Power plan and reboot.

What happens now...?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 14th, 2019 18:00

Forgot to say... While you're in BIOS setup make sure that PTE option is still unchecked. :Wink:

No Events found!