7- Thorium

Re: XPS 8900 power-up problem

Questions are easy, it's the fix that's hard. :Surprise:

Does the LED inside the power button actually light up when you boot to the desktop, and what color is it and steady or blinking?

Do other features/functions on the front and top panels work correctly, eg media card reader and media card reader light, USB ports, mic and audio out ports, etc?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

BTW: The service manual gives instructions to remove/replace the power button module, if you're willing to invest any money...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
onesnark
1 Copper

Ron;

Power button LED functions normally. It is white when on; blinks out Orange in correct codes when I mis-wire power cables or disconnect hard drives.

Just checked a USB reader on front and one of the USB's: They work.

In a few days, I will look into replacing the power button; or at least checking it out further. I think I saw it's only about $30?

I am still strongly considering installing a SSD because. . . I am crazy.  In part; it's been a year or two since I did a clean Win10 install (probably three years, when I got this machine). It's time to do it again.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

I see refurbished XPS 8900 power button modules on eBay for ~$15 with free shipping, and new ones for ~$20 with free shipping so shop around.

Just keep in mind I cannot guarantee that replacing the button module will solve the problems...

And if it were me, I'd hold off on an SSD until I was sure the PC was going to recover fully from its current illnesses before investing a lot of $ in it. My 2-cents...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
onesnark
1 Copper

I understand that your advice is based on something referred to as "common sense".

I really don't have a good grip on that concept.

The SSD is likely to be relatively inexpensive. . .and would be utilized in another box if this machine goes kaput. So I am not too worried. The real bad investment was the Power Supply that I bought (in a huff) when this drama started. Honestly, I spent more on that than I will on the SSD.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

If you're convinced the old PSU still works, I guess you could reinstall it and sell the new one on eBay. Or maybe just sell the old one as "used/working" (assuming it is)...

Post back if you replace the power button module and let us know if that solves the problems. Your results could help other users who might encounter similar probs.

Hope you don't have any more dramas that force you to spend $, if you don't have to... :Wink:

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
BobFuji
1 Copper

Re: XPS 8900, power on problem

Hi,

I got the same problem yesterday.

I went to bought a new PSU (500W) but no help.

Please tell us how is going on with your PC after your last post.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
BobVu
1 Copper

Hi Rohe, I have an interesting related issue with the BIOS setting is corrupted to default setting RAID, instead of AHCI, time-of-day not set. I replaced with new coin battery, bend the GND tab upward to make good contact, re-soldered the GND and + post on underside of board, same result. It behaves normally if I turn it back on within 15 minutes, after that the power led flashing amber/orange 2 times, then 1 time, the cycle repeats. Remove the video card, put it back, re-seat memory RAM, then it turns on but BIOS setting lost time-of day and default setting RAID. The power button and its connector #9 looks OK, I removed and re-insert when removing the motherboard. My main issue is "BIOS setting is corrupted to default setting RAID, instead of AHCI, time -of-day not set". I switched BIOS from latest 2.4 to 2.3 to 2.21 to 2.1.8 to 2.13 same result. Thanks

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

@BobVu wrote:

Hi Rohe, I have an interesting related issue with the BIOS setting is corrupted to default setting RAID, instead of AHCI, time-of-day not set. I replaced with new coin battery, bend the GND tab upward to make good contact, re-soldered the GND and + post on underside of board, same result. It behaves normally if I turn it back on within 15 minutes, after that the power led flashing amber/orange 2 times, then 1 time, the cycle repeats. Remove the video card, put it back, re-seat memory RAM, then it turns on but BIOS setting lost time-of day and default setting RAID. The power button and its connector #9 looks OK, I removed and re-insert when removing the motherboard. My main issue is "BIOS setting is corrupted to default setting RAID, instead of AHCI, time -of-day not set". I switched BIOS from latest 2.4 to 2.3 to 2.21 to 2.1.8 to 2.13 same result. Thanks

Do you have a 32-GB SSD installed along with a regular hard drive? If you do, the BIOS has to be set to RAID in order for you to use the 32-GB SSD as a cache for Windows. If you break the RAID, Windows won't load and you'll have to do a clean install.

The 2,1 blink code is a motherboard failure...  :Crying:

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
CN86jc
1 Copper

Re: XPS 8900, power on problem

I have the same issue with my computer too. Narrowed it down to the power switch module through sheer luck. Long story short I put it to sleep now instead of powering off until I get a replacement ordered in. 

0 Kudos