Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C5

4 Posts

February 13th, 2019 16:00

XPS 8900, will not start after power outage

XPS 8900 was on last night when a power outage occurred.   After an hour of lighting candles, etc., the power came back on unexpectedly.  Two other computers were also on when this happened.  They did OK and are currently running fine.  However, the XPS 8900, having been through dozens of these outages since 2009, has decided not to light up this time.  Power switch has never been a problem,  electric cord has been tested and works, outlet has been tested and is OK. 

Before I tear into the computer, is there a fuse anywhere between where the power enters the case and the PSU?  Is there any component known to be a victim of power outages, surges, etc. when the power is cycled off and then back on (with programs loaded)?  

I have read the Dell page(s) regarding "NO Power" and preliminary troubleshooting and have gone through that process with no positive results. It appears the PSU crapped out or it is an issue internal to the PC itself.  

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, etc.

Chris

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 13th, 2019 20:00

@Chris 57 wrote:

1. power outage occurred.  the XPS 8900, has decided not to light up this time. 

2. the power came back on unexpectedly

3. is there a fuse anywhere between where the power enters the case and the PSU? 

4. Is there any component known to be a victim of power outages, surges, etc. when the power is cycled off and then back on (with programs loaded)?  

1. I suggest you start using a good UPS (like APC with AVR). The machines themselves can only take so much abuse from raw AC power-grid.

2. This is really hard on machines ... all machines and computerized devices.

3. No

4. Not really.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 14th, 2019 13:00

Best course of action is to remove any removable cards--sound card, network card etc. Leave only the video card  and remove any unnecessary peripherals--printers, game boxes etc. Reboot the computer to see if boots. If it does boot, turn off and replace one card and reboot. If it boots ok, add another one at time rebooting between until you find the burnt out one. If it doesn't boot, remove any video card and reboot. Of course you won't have anything to see, just lights and sounds. If you can hear sounds as it it is working, replace the video card with a new card. One or more of the cards could be fried. If nothing works replace the computer. It probably is not worth spending anything on a dead motherboard and who knows what else. The 8900 is only 4 yrs old so it can't have been going through this for 10 yrs.

That is a great idea to buy a battery backup unit to prevent trouble in the future. Especially since it seems this happens a lot at your place. The battery backup is for computer and monitor. Peripherals like printers should not be on the battery outlets. There are outlets on the UPS that have surge protection only. Don't overload a single unit. If you have lots of electronics, buy a couple of UPS.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 14th, 2019 15:00

Does the front power button light up at all when pressed?

This model has a power supply test button on the back near the power socket. What happens when you press it? Does the LED on the back turn green and fans start spinning when PC is plugged into a working outlet? Do they run for at least 3 sec after releasing that PSU test button?

Try unplugging the cord from rear of PC and pressing/holding power button on front for ~30 sec.  Reconnect power cord to rear of PC and see if it will boot now.

And contact your power company ASAP. Some of them have insurance that will cover damage caused by outages, so you might be able to get some help paying for the repair. :Wink:

4 Posts

February 16th, 2019 11:00

Thank you to Tesla1856, Mary G, and RoHe for  your responses to my post.

To Tesla1856:   Good point about the UPS – I do have one..  Mine was temporarily out of that circuit that night :Embarrassed:.

To Mary G:  The computer is a XPS Studio 8000.  Not sure what I was thinking when typing 8900.

To RoHe:  No test button on 8000 – wish there was.

Here’s what I did after reading your comments and suggestions which were much appreciated:

1. Removed the hard drives and unplugged P1 (24 pin connector) from MB.
  2. Removed and tested CMOS battery – 3 volts,  put it back in.
  3. Jumpered green and black wires in P1 connector. Plugged in power. PSU Fan started and green LED lit up (yea) then in a few seconds, fan stopped and LED went out.  (boo) Unplugged power cord.
  4. Double checked that brown wire and orange wire were connected together.
  5. Repeated #3. Same result. 

Hit the internet again.  (search: power supply starts and then stops):  Found numerous discussions of this “phenomena” and suggestions like those offered by Mary G plus some additional info.  

Heading to the shop now.  Will be testing the PSU again.  Will make sure I have the PSU completely disconnected from the MB (so the MB cannot shut down the PSU as some have discovered).  Then will test (measuring the voltages) on each of the powered wires for correct voltages – assuming the PSU doesn’t shut down even after complete divorce from the MB.  If the PSU tests good, not sure it's worth the time and hassle to fix a 10 year old computer. 

Will get back with results.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 16th, 2019 15:00

Well, if you'd told us the right model number in the first place, I would have known you don't have the PSU BIST button. :Wink:

No Events found!