Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

8 Posts

October 21st, 2019 10:00

XPS 8910, HDD issue, BIOS 1.1.9

I recently updated the BIOS on my XPS 8910 to 1.1.9. When it restarted from this BIOS update it halted with a Drive 0 error 151 incorrect status 3E SMART Prediction Failure. I continued from this point and Windows started normally. I had never had a problem with this Disk prior to the BIOS update. So I ran the Hard disk test from Dell Support Assist and this found no problem. I downloaded a program CrystalDiskInfo, which reads the SMART data from hard drives, this found no problem. Finally I downloaded SeaTools for Windows, its a 2TB Seagate drive, and ran through every test they provide, including a SMART test and a 4 hour comprehensive hard drive test and again it found absolutely no problems with the drive. The error 151 problem occurs on every start up, however 3 other programs including one from Dell, and Seagate's own comprehensive drive test suite find no problem Any Ideas anyone?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 21st, 2019 10:00

Error Code 2000-0151 - Hard Drive incorrect status 3E Smart Predictive Failure

Means the drive is bad.

SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0:

WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

There are No soft fixes for physically bad drives.

This error comes from BIOS.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

October 21st, 2019 12:00

I see this is your second posting on the same subject You should not double post.

The obvious answer is that SMART is predicting that your hard drive is about to fail. The other possibility is that the error is a false report. You can either chose to believe the error or not. I would replace the hard drive, given the relatively low cost of a new hard drive and not take the risk of the existing hard drive failing.

On the slim chance that the error is a result of the BIOS update, you could write down your BIOS settings and then reset the BIOS to its defaults.There is a procedure in the service manual for clearing the CMOS settings.

October 22nd, 2019 01:00

Did you read my post? Yes the Dell BIOS flags a problem, but a far more extensive test using Seagate's own tools, and they make the disk after all, finds no problems whatsoever. The problem appeared immediately after the BIOS update hence my suspicions.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2019 04:00

Yes, I read your post, more than once. The BIOS update was because of security issues. No one here has reported a problem similar to yours as a result of this BIOS update. I think I would be suspicious also, but the only way you are going to find out is either wait for the hard disk to fail or replace the hard disk. The vast majority of reports of this error indicates that the hard disk is about to fail.

Did you read this article and try to resolve the issue according to the article? https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln115162/resolve-hardware-issues-with-built-in-and-online-diagnostics-epsa-or-psa-error-codes?lang=en

I found this information but did not post it before because I think it is suspicious. There is this site which claims there is a fix for the error code. The site claims the error is due to incorrectly configured system setting or irregular entries in the Windows registry, nothing about a BIOS update. I don't see how a BIOS update would change system settings or the Windows registry. You can try their tool but I think it is risky. http://www.fileerrors.com/how-to-fix-error-code-2000-0151-in-dell-diagonostics.html

2.5K Posts

October 22nd, 2019 14:00

wiki smart hard disk drives.

ok all you really need to know are 2 things, (all hard drives fail, non are immune) 5years on some , 10 others.(mine.,enterprise grade is real)

1: smart test tells you it is bad, it is, end story.

2: Smart repairs bad sectors with SPARES & when it runs out, the DRIVE IS EOL do not use this drive now, if not backed up, you will lose data, that is why SMART exists, to save data loss and OS corruption soon to happen.

even free crystalinfodisk.exe will tell you its bad, (green good, yellow soon to die, , Red dead)

easy no? and just 5 minutes work,

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 22nd, 2019 14:00

Well, you have a full/current system image backup right ? Also, daily backups ? So, nothing to worry about, right? 

Unless your current Windows install and it’s data are not that important to you, I would start planning on replacing that drive. You got a rare second-chance.

I suggest you replace it with either one or two ... 512gb to 1tb SSDs.

October 23rd, 2019 07:00

You don't seem to have read my post. I clearly state that I checked the drive with CrystalDiskInfo - no problems.I have also run the full set of drive tests in Seagate's Seatools suite with no failures and the Dell Windows Support Assist disk test tools (which includes a SMART test). Seagate have been very helpful, and have said that if the dive passes their 'long' test it's fine. That's in contrast to Dell whose only response was to check if it was within warranty, and since it isn't - bye! If it wasn't for the fact that the only test the disk fails is the Dell BIOS test, which then interrupts boot up I would have ignored it and just trusted Seagate. As it is I'm trying to discover more about the Dell BIOS test and why it gives results at odds with all the others.

No Events found!