Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

3 Posts

April 24th, 2018 17:00

XPS 8910, Rear USB 2.0 ports not working?

I have an XPS 8910 out of warranty.  Both USB 2.0 ports for KB and mouse stop working.  Now one 3.0 port has stopped.  Soon won't have any ports for mouse and KB at all.  With KB in a 2.0 port, cannot get into BIOS.  KB and mouse just makes a blink at start up and then no light.  BIOS is 1.1.5, Windows 10 just updated today, no help. In device manager, no yellow tags on any USB controller.  Bios has all ports enabled. Bios diagnostics OK.

Is mother board done ?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 6th, 2019 11:00

@dimension410 wrote:

Here's another user with a now non-working USB 2 port on an XPS 8910 running 64-bit Win 10. The one closest to the side of the computer. 

Mouse & keyboard work fine when plugged in anywhere else, but that one socket doesn't 'see' anything, or if it does, Windows says it's not recognized.

I found this while researching another problem (computer wouldn't wake by pressing a key on the keyboard) and noticed the keyboard & mouse were plugged in to the USB 3 sockets, which is a waste of USB 3. So I plugged them in to the USB 2 sockets - and only one works now. 

I don't know how long this has gone on since before today all I had plugged in to the USB 2 sockets was other USB cables that came around front for occasional use. One a mini-USB, the other a micro-USB, and I forget which one was where now.

I don't have a USB 2 hub to test with.

Lots of suggestions in this thread about what to try to fix this problem? Have you tried any of them?

You can continue to use a USB3 port if one of the USB2 isn't working. Using a USB3 port with a USB2 device won't put any extra load on the PC, compared to using a USB2 port with a USB2 device.

If you need extra ports, try connecting an externally powered USB2 hub to the USB2 port that isn't working now. Maybe you can pick one up locally that will allow you to return it for a full refund if it doesn't solve the problem.

May 6th, 2019 18:00

I've tried some, like unplugging it & holding the power button, running System File Checker, etc. I haven't pulled the CMOS battery. What I'll probably do is get a USB 2 powered hub and go that route. I would like to have all USB 3 sockets available for photo/file transfers and other things where high-speed capability is needed.

May 8th, 2019 22:00

Removing the CMOS battery didn't fix it.

May 12th, 2019 12:00

I found this program which did fix another USB problem I was having (with the rear USB 3 sockets) but I still can't get one of the 2.0 sockets to work; still getting code 43, device descriptor request failed.  The program is called USB Tree View.

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html#download

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

May 12th, 2019 15:00

Try the externally powered USB hub as Ron suggested. If that does not work the USB port is probably dead.

May 18th, 2019 21:00

Well, today I realized I still had the original spinning-disk hard drive that I replaced with an SSD about six months ago. So i removed the SSD and reinstalled the HDD. No difference, so the port itself is truly dead.

I've forgotten how slow the 1TB 7200 rpm HDD was! Windows-wise, it's identical to what's on the SSD - Win 10 64-bit version 1809.

June 9th, 2019 17:00

I kind of fixed it today.

As I was cleaning around the monitor (that I had to remove), I noticed there's a USB hub built-in to it. It's a 22" Dell. One USB B and two USB A sockets. So, the USB B cable goes to the computer's still-working USB 2 port, and the keyboard & mouse now plug in to the USB A sockets on the monitor.

No Events found!