Vic384
4 Beryllium

Re: XPS 8910, Rear USB 2.0 ports not working?

Ron,

I searched but I could not find the original thread that discussed this problem, but if I recall correctly, even a motherboard replacement only fixed the problem for a short while then the problem returned.

I recall that some folks just switched the keyboard and mouse to the USB 3.0 ports; the problem only occurs with the USB 2.0 ports.

I would also point out that if a USB hub is used to solve the problem it should be a powered USB hub.

I must say I am disappointed with Dell's analysis of the problem on captured 8910 systems; it makes me wonder if Dell knows more but isn't willing to share because there are workarounds.

I hope this new thread helps those who encounter this problem; when I read the original thread I took an interest hoping that it wouldn't happen to me but it has.

0 Kudos
Vic384
4 Beryllium

Here is the original thread about the same problem from over a year ago: https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General/XPS-8910-Rear-USB-2-0-ports-not-working/td-p/5098676

0 Kudos
Tcatman
1 Copper

I bought a 10 port powered USB 2.0 hub last night and connected it to one of the bad 2.0 ports, and connected the mouse and keyboard to it.  It took a while to boot and set up the hub but all is working.  I can even get to the BIOS now.  One of my 3.0 ports is also dead due to running the keyboard so that is not a long therm fix or eventually you won't have any working powered ports.  The ports do not have 5 volt supply to run the device anymore, but the serial lines still work.  So the factory supplied mouse and keyboard are too much for this feeble motherboard.  I assume there is a port fuse or switching transistor that has burned open.  I may try to fix that but there is no time and the thing works now.

0 Kudos
7 Thorium

Glad the powered USB2 hub is working for you all.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
NMITGuy
1 Copper

I have 2 of these exhibiting the same behavior that are out of warranty.  Now I understand why I received such a good deal on Dell's so-called flag ship model.  I can't believe I've had so many issues with this particular line of Dell. This wreaks of manufacturer defect and Dell should be held accountable, address this problem and stand behind their products, even for those out of the warranty period. I think I will need to re-evaluate my company's relationship with Dell.

0 Kudos
dellstudio87
1 Copper

I had this problem also. Both USB 2.0 ports failed with the keyboard and mouse that came with my 8910. I moved them to USB 3.0 ports and some of those failed. I switched to a different keyboard and a Logitech wireless mouse with the USB 3.0 ports, and those continued to work. After reading some of these threads the other day, I decided to order a powered USB 2.0 hub to see if that would work. It arrived today. Before installing it, I decided to test the USB 2.0 ports again. I don't think I had tested the keyboard by hitting F12 and going into BIOS Setup, so I decided to connect the keyboard to one of the USB 2.0 ports and do that. Lo and behold, it worked! Then I started up Windows 10 and that worked, also! I tested the keyboard with the other USB 2.0 port and that worked, too. Then I moved the dongle for the wireless mouse to one of the USB 2.0 ports. Both keyboard and mouse are now working with Windows 10 with the USB 2.0 ports, without having to use a USB hub. There must have been some recent software changes with Windows Update that fixed the problem with the USB ports on my computer. I tried some suggested software fixes a few months ago and those did not help. I will see if the ports continue to work. I think the keyboard that came with the 8910 was causing problems.

0 Kudos
Vic384
4 Beryllium

Before I switched to using a powered USB hub, I think the USB 2.0 ports were intermittent on my XPS 8910. I decided to continue to use the hub and not stress the USB 5 volt supply.

0 Kudos
7 Thorium

Glad USB2 is working for you again. :Yes:

Did you happen to update let SupportAssist or Dell Update install any updates for you recently? A USB firmware update was posted by Dell on 3-Jan'19 for XPS 8910 running Win 10 that, quote:

...helps the Universal Serial Bus (USB) ports to communicate effectively with connected devices...

Obviously I don't know if that was the fix for your PC (assuming your firmware was updated), but it might be something for other XPS 8910 users with USB issues to check out. :Idea:

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Vic384
4 Beryllium

Ron, this driver update is interesting because it is listed as compatible with the XPS 8910 but when I enter the Service Tag for my XPS 8910 this update is not listed. The checkbox "Check to show drivers for your Service Tag. Uncheck to see more drivers available for your product model. Your Service Tag is xxxxxxx." is checked, if unchecked your update is listed.

0 Kudos
7 Thorium

@Vic384 wrote:

Ron, this driver update is interesting because it is listed as compatible with the XPS 8910 but when I enter the Service Tag for my XPS 8910 this update is not listed. The checkbox "Check to show drivers for your Service Tag. Uncheck to see more drivers available for your product model. Your Service Tag is xxxxxxx." is checked, if unchecked your update is listed.

Sure you haven't gotten that update automatically via SupportAssist?

But this wouldn't be the first time the support site has "overlooked" an update when searching by Service Tag. And this one is marked "firmware", not "driver", if that makes any difference for the search by tag..?

I suppose you could try running the USB firmware update and see if it works or gives you an "incompatible" message. If you go for it, test your USB2 devices in USB2 ports without your powered hub first and then again afterwards, which could tell us if the update solves that problem.

Meanwhile, I'll ping my Dell tech contact to see if he can enlighten us... :Wink:

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos