Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

1 Message

December 20th, 2019 18:00

XPS 8910, booting from new SSD Bios issue

I have a XPS8910 desktop. I installed an SSD and cloned my HDD to it successfully. Now I want to make it my boot drive, but I don’t see the option to make it the 1st drive in BIOS. None of the bios setups in videos I have watched look like mine. I hit F2 when restarting and It recognizes both drives and I can see them under the main tab. I go over to the boot tab. It has been operating with UEFI but under that option the only changes I can make are having the #1boot option be windows boot manager or onboard NIC IPV4 or onboard NIC IPV6. If I switch it over the legacy. It lets me change the order of booting it from the diskette or hard drive etc... but not which hard drive.  

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 20th, 2019 18:00

If I understand correctly you can make Windows Boot Manager the first option? Actually that is exactly the option you want. You do not need to see the actual SSD as Windows Boot Manager is the Windows 10 boot option. Have you tried to boot using Windows Boot Manager?

After you cloned the drive did you disconnect the HDD before rebooting the system? You have to do that and make sure you can boot from the SSD. If the system boots successfully then shut the system down and reconnect the HDD.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 21st, 2019 18:00

You may have to boot from the SSD using the F12 menu, while the HDD is still connected. Assuming it boots from the SSD (meaning the clone works), you will have to go into Disk Management and re-initialize the HDD which permanently removes the OS files and everything else on that drive. So make certain you can boot from the SSD using F12 before re-intializing the HDD and/or use Macrium Reflect Free to save an image of the HDD on external media, to be safe.

Once you nuke the HDD, reboot normally and the PC should boot from the SSD. Then you can use the HDD for storage.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2019 04:00

You can also re-initialize the HDD using DiskPart. Here is the procedure: https://macrorit.com/partition-magic-manager/initialize-disk-gpt-mbr-from-cmd-diskpart.html

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 22nd, 2019 05:00

Bios is not a boot selector.

BCD is different from NVME PCI-E VS sata.

Hard drive cloned to ssd is not optimized and may be written to death in as little as a few hours.

Indexing, scheduled defragging and other normal things for hard drive will KILL an SSD.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2019 06:00

No Events found!