Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

3 Posts

March 21st, 2019 15:00

XPS 8910, motherboard hosed again

Looks like the replacement motherboard is dead (again) after the first replacement in Feb 2018.  I was surfing the web and the computer just shut off, no warning, complete power loss.  I thought maybe the power supply went bad.  I pulled all the connectors, did the green/black wire jumper test and the power supply fan didn't turn on.  Installed a new power supply, connected all the wires and nothing.  Put the power supply in a spare comp and it ran fine.  I'm at a loss on why these motherboards fail.  First replacement was because of a BIOS update (under warranty and no questions asked) and I read about doing a BIOS update using the Dell Support Helper and that looks like a big no-no.  But this time it was running fine and the next second dead.  I'd hate to junk this comp and it looks like finding a replacement board (not a Dell) looks tough because of the proprietary case.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

I removed all the peripherals from the motherboard and all RAM except for Slot #1, and switched the RAM modules around (just in case 1 went bad).  Still no power.  I have no idea what's going on- I've built systems in the past and I can pretty much diagnose problems.  I honestly think the motherboard is shot.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

Just curious, so you are saying the PSU was definitely bad. And the second PSU worked fine in another system? My first guess would be that if the 1st PSU failed, it may have taken out the motherboard when it failed. Have you tried disconnecting all of the peripherals from the MB such as HDD, optical drive, remove RAM, etc. That way you are certain that another component is not causing the no power problem.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

You should buy this users XPS-8910 motherboard, and then they can just buy a retail motherboard and do a normal custom build. :BigSmile:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8910-help-with-front-panel-power-new-case/m-p/6138487

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@JOcean wrote:

My first guess would be that if the 1st PSU failed, it may have taken out the motherboard when it failed

Pretty common actually (in my experiences). 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@road_rascal wrote:

I thought maybe the power supply went bad.  I pulled all the connectors, did the green/black wire jumper test and the power supply fan didn't turn on. 

Yeah, that's not the way you check a power-supply.

I use a Digital Power Supply Tester ... and then I might even install in another machine (and see it work ).

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

March 21st, 2019 16:00

@road_rascal wrote:

I thought maybe the power supply went bad.  I pulled all the connectors, did the green/black wire jumper test and the power supply fan didn't turn on. 

The power supply fan is temperature controlled and normally does not turn on useless required. Without a power supply tester you could have used a voltmeter to check the voltages at the various connectors.

March 21st, 2019 16:00

The power supply fan turns on every time I've booted the computer.  I put the OEM P/S in the spare comp and it booted OK too.  At this point I still think the motherboard is toast.

25 Posts

March 21st, 2019 18:00

I'd bite the bullet , buy a $40-60 case , $60-100 motherboard and $40-60 psu then move on.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

March 21st, 2019 18:00

This Dell article states that "If the PC is using 15% or less power from the power supply, the fans in the power supply are designed to shut off to ensure lower noise levels." https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln303484/power-supply-fan-stops-spinning-during-power-on-and-diagnostics-mode?lang=en

Your power supply may work differently, but I think mine works as stated in the article.

No Events found!