Highlighted
duke7553
2 Bronze

XPS 8910, what screw should hold down the M.2?

Jump to solution

I need to know what type of screw should hold down my new Samsung 970 Evo M.2 SSD that I am installing inside the Dell XPS 8910. My motherboard looks like the pictures below. There appears to already be something inside one of the holes. Is this the screw I need, or should I buy a certain one?

CloseUp.pngClose Upboard.jpg

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Techgee
3 Zinc

Re: Dell XPS 8910, What screw should hold down the M.2?

Jump to solution

Pictures aren't showing up yet (I think they're awaiting Dell Moderator approval), but according to Dell XPS 8910 Service Manual ("Screw list", pg. 12) available here, it's a metric M2x2.5 screw.

5 Replies
Techgee
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Pictures aren't showing up yet (I think they're awaiting Dell Moderator approval), but according to Dell XPS 8910 Service Manual ("Screw list", pg. 12) available here, it's a metric M2x2.5 screw.

JOcean
5 Tungsten

Re: XPS 8910, what screw should hold down the M.2?

Jump to solution

Techgee is spot on. It looks like the screw is in fact already there. But in a pinch you can get the screws from the following site.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BW3QQRA/?coliid=I2MWT4DRZIZYRE&colid=3729WQKDXPNGV&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_...

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
duke7553
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hello JOcean,

I already ordered the screw from here, but I hope it was the right one. According to Techgee's post, the manual stated the motherboard requires a M2 x 2.5mm screw, but the website you mentioned sells M2 x 3mm screws. 

Maybe someone can clarify this for the community...

Sincerely,

Luke Blevins

0 Kudos
Techgee
3 Zinc

Jump to solution
The screw JOcean linked to (a M2x3) is 1/2 mm longer than what's in Dell's manual. May or may not work. M2x2.5 is what Manual says and what you bought.
0 Kudos
Id0ru
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I just installed an M.2 drive in my 8910. The motherboard definitely does not have the screw already installed. The silver item you see in the screw hole is a riser that holds the M.2 stick above the board. You will need an M2 x 2.5 screw to attach the M.2 stick to the riser.

The Laptop Screws site you linked to is the correct size to use.

0 Kudos