Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 20th, 2018 13:00

XPS 8920, BIOS update, no post

Dell nicely provided an update today for my bios - would I like to install it says on my win10 desktop - why, yes, I reply, one must keep the patching up to date to protect oneself..... ne does to say to PC Didn’t reboot and is now dead from cold start... have done the pin reset to clear and removed battery for cmos - to jo avail - dead! Thanks Dell - the good thing is that dellcares !! I’ve had 3 messages over 4 hours - not great

Keep away from on the bios updates ladies and gents

2 Posts

January 20th, 2018 17:00

Today, I trusted dell’s important update. It ran and pc shutdown now it starts and shuts down. Nice. Pc is not a month old.

2 Posts

January 20th, 2018 17:00

Mine was killed by this dell update

35 Posts

January 21st, 2018 02:00

Just out of curiosity, what Bios version bricked your 8920 and what was the Bios being upgraded ?

2 Posts

January 21st, 2018 10:00

My 8920 will not boot now after a BIOS update this morning as well.

sigh..

2 Posts

January 21st, 2018 11:00

Update: after multiple reboot attempts which inluded unplugging the power cord and all addon usb devices. I was able to get the XPS to post and it did a rebuild of a cache and finally booted normally. I did **bleep** the F2 and delete buttons prior to that but not sure if that helped at all.

No more updates without waiting a few weeks.   Come on Dell..

1 Message

January 21st, 2018 16:00

I was in the middle of creating an msWord document when the BIOS update popped up. I clicked it, and lost my cursor. Couldn't do anything. Then a flashing warning popped up on the task bar. Thinking I was being hacked I held down the on/off button until it turned off. When I tried to turn it on again, the computer's on/off light comes on for 2 seconds, then the computer shuts down. Lost the four hours work I spent on that msWord document, and I hope not a lot of recent photos I didn't back up. This computer is now a boat anchor. Thanks a lot Dell......

3 Posts

January 21st, 2018 23:00

I had the same issue just few hours ago. The XPS 8920 is now totally bricked. Not sure what to do, other than contacting Dell support tomorrow morning.

1 Message

January 24th, 2018 11:00

Mine as well. Had several messages from Dell that there was a Bios update - did I want to do it now or later.....

Eventually I went ahead and did it - that was the last time I was able to get a screen up - now nothing - can't revert, can't get any video at all. 

Cntrl Esc does not work - Dell CS said I'd have to send it in - -- I can't believe I'm paying $41.15 to send my PC into Dell because of a problem they caused! Very frustrating. I guess I'm lucky to have another non Dell PC (the one I'm using now).

This is my last Dell.

3 Posts

January 24th, 2018 17:00

FWIW, Dell opened a support ticket for me, and a few days later, sent a technician to my home to replace the motherboard.  The XPS 8920 is now up and running!  I see that Dell has pulled the latest BIOS upgrade from the XPS 8920 download version.

First thing I did after getting the PC up and running is to disable the Dell Updater. I don't need any more BIOS upgrades :)

January 24th, 2018 19:00

Has Dell made any post or notice about this problem? It seems to be a major issue among quite a few people.

I just made a service request. I hope my computer gets taken care of.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 25th, 2018 03:00

Newer Dell PCs have the Dell BIOS Recovery Tool:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukbsdt1/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en

I've not had the chance to personally test it out yet but it may be worth a try.

3 Posts

February 8th, 2018 14:00

That's why the first thing I did, after the Dell Tech replaced the motherboard, was to disable the Dell Updater.

1 Message

February 8th, 2018 14:00

For me, it was the latest bios update, 1.0.11. It killed my XPS 8920 twice. After working with tech support for several days to reinstall windows 10, I again got the message to install this update. Foolishly I did it again, with the same result. Again, after working with tech support, I was advised to ignore all promptings from Dell's SupportAssist to update the bios. 

No Events found!