Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

71 Posts

February 11th, 2020 18:00

XPS 8920, Canon Pixma MP480, driver?

Windows 7 or 8 Driver  - Download?

Is there a link that will allow me to download Windows 7 or 8 driver free without paying a fee?

Thanks,

Jerry

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 12th, 2020 03:00

A driver for what model computer? Also what is the device driver for?

71 Posts

February 12th, 2020 06:00

Hello All -

My computer is XPS 8920. The driver is for a Canon printer Pixma MP480. Canon says they no longer support drivers for it and that Windows drivers 7 or 8 will allow it to function. I have used the  Windows 7 driver in the past and it did work for me.

Jerry

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 12th, 2020 09:00

Try this webstie: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mp-series/pixma-mp480?tab=drivers_downloads

Click on the down arrow to select the OS version and download the driver. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 12th, 2020 15:00

Did you just upgrade to Win 10?

I have a color printer that Canon's site says isn't supported with Win 10. But the first time I connected the printer to this new PC, Win 10 said "new hardware found" and automatically installed a driver that works perfectly with my Canon Pixma printer, despite what Canon says.

So if you're using Win 10 and haven't connected your printer yet, boot the PC to the desktop and then plug the printer into a USB port. Hopefully....

71 Posts

February 12th, 2020 16:00

Hello RoHe -

I reinstalled Windows 10 and did similar steps as you suggested.  At first, the printer did not work.  I played around with Device Manager and reinstalled the drivers from there. Then, the printer did work and still is working.

However, I still get a message to reinstall the driver.

So, the reason for my post is in the future, I may not be so lucky and may need the Windows 7 or 8 driver which is what Canon says to use on their website for this printer.

Jerry

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 12th, 2020 16:00

Don't know why you keep getting nagged to install the driver. Is that nag coming from Dell Update or Dell SupportAssist? I don't get that nagging here, but I don't have either Dell Update or SupportAssist installed.

And if Win 10 found a suitable driver this time, it should find it again the next time, if you ever have to reinstall Win 10. So I don't think Canon's Win 7 or Win 8 drivers are necessary.

Besides, if you image your entire hard drive now with something like Macrium Reflect Free, you'll have a backup of your current installation, and you can create a new/updated image as often as you want, so there shouldn't be a need for drivers from Canon. At least that's the approach I'm taking...

71 Posts

February 13th, 2020 20:00

Hello Speedstep 

Your  first link seems to answer my question.

Thanks

Jerry

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 14th, 2020 09:00

On my first link it says

Canon will not issue drivers for this model to support the Windows 10 operating system. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 drivers should function in the Windows 10 environment with some limitations which are currently unknown to Canon.

Choosing windows 7 for the os allows download of the driver.

Not supported does not mean not working.

Windows feature updates routinely break drivers for Audio and Bluetooth and USB and printers etc.

You have to remove and reinstall the drivers after each time microsoft breaks it.

71 Posts

February 14th, 2020 12:00

Hello Ron -

The note about installing a driver has mysteriously disappeared - at least for now.  Don't know what happen.

Also, I too use Macrium.  The only reason I hesitate to use it is, backing up a whole system to an earlier date for only a driver issue seems like an overkill unless I have no other choice.

Anyway, always appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Jerry

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 14th, 2020 17:00

The suggestion to do a backup with Macrium (or other app) is just a safety precaution. It's not meant as telling you to revert to an earlier date. 

You make a new backup "today" that's -hopefully- unneeded, but when having issues like yours, it's always better to have a current backup than if something goes amiss and you do have to revert to an old backup...

71 Posts

February 17th, 2020 08:00

Hello Ron -

I certainly understand your  comments and your suggestion to back up "today."  However, the reason I  did not want to back up today is this:

First, I reinstalled Windows 10.  And, for whatever reason, I have had  issues after doing that.  So all of my Macrium backups have been not been "clean."  It's been my intent  to fix those other isssus before relying on a backup.

As of now I think I have fixed most of the  other issues.  So, if that holds true, I can trust a Macrium bqackup withouit introducing past issues.

Thanks,

Jerry

No Events found!