MRite18
1 Copper

XPS 8920 SE, BIOS feature request?

How would I go about requesting an update the bios for the XPS SE 8920 so that it can do the following:

1. I would like to be able to disable the on-board audio because I use an external, professional audio interface. The current bios for the XPS SE 8920 does not support disabling the onboard audio.

2. I would like to be able to disable the onboard video. I would like to be able to disable the Intel HD video in the bios.

3. Will Dell enable Thunderbolt support in the XPS SE 8920 bios? I have the i7-7700k CPU. I know that CPU and the associated mainboard chipset support Thunderbolt. Why is it not currently enabled on the XPS SE 8920?

Features like this used to be common place in all bios.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies

Re: XPS 8920 SE, BIOS feature request?

1. I would like to be able to disable the onboard audio because I use an external, professional audio interface. The current bios for the XPS 8920 SE does not support disabling the onboard audio.
* Starting with the 2016 XPS 8910, the option to Enable/Disable onboard audio was removed. Even the newer XPS 8930 does not have the option. So no, we are not going to allocate time and resources to create a BIOS update adding this feature.

Enable/Disable onboard audio
2010 XPS 8300 Yes
2012 XPS 8500 Yes
2013 XPS 8700 Yes
2015 XPS 8900 Yes
2016 XPS 8910 No
2017 XPS 8920 No
2017 XPS 8930 No

2. I would like to be able to disable the onboard video. I would like to be able to disable the Intel HD video in the bios.
* Of the seven XPS desktop models, only the 2015 XPS 8900 had this option.

Enable/Disable onboard video
2010 XPS 8300 No
2012 XPS 8500 No
2013 XPS 8700 No
2015 XPS 8900 Yes (Auto/Intel HD/Nvidia HD)
2016 XPS 8910 No
2017 XPS 8920 No
2017 XPS 8930 No

3. Will Dell enable Thunderbolt support in the XPS SE 8920 bios? I have the i7-7700k CPU. I know that CPU and the associated motherboard chipset support Thunderbolt. Why is it not currently enabled on the XPS 8920 SE?
* No. Even the newer XPS 8930 does not have the option. You will need to install either a PCIe x1 or PCIe x4 Thunderbolt card which will use its own BIOS and drivers.

0 Kudos
MRite18
1 Copper

3. Will Dell enable Thunderbolt support in the XPS SE 8920 bios? I have the i7-7700k CPU. I know that CPU and the associated motherboard chipset support Thunderbolt. Why is it not currently enabled on the XPS 8920 SE?

* No. Even the newer XPS 8930 does not have the option. You will need to install either a PCIe x1 or PCIe x4 Thunderbolt card which will use its own BIOS and drivers.

Which PCIe Thunderboldt cards are compatible with the XPS SE 8920?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Thorium

Don't know why you want to, but can you disable the onboard Intel Graphics in Device Manager under Display Adapters?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos

Which PCIe Thunderbolt cards are compatible with the XPS SE 8920?
* Unknown since we never tested any on this model. You simply need to buy one locally (check their return policy) and test one.

0 Kudos
beamermt79
4 Germanium

to add to the conversation, you don't really need to disable these as you are using separate expansion cards (audio, video) and Windows diverts to those for your needs instead of using the built in options. As for Thunderbolt, ANY popular card should work for your needs. I'd go to amazon or your favorite site and look at the ratings and reviews and see what people seem to like. Most of them are plug and play or plug and install a driver and play.
0 Kudos
MRite18
1 Copper

I've looked around.  I don't think anyone makes plug-and-play PCIe Thunderbolt 3 cards.  I'm not sure I understand why you would recommend this approach.

0 Kudos

A quick search shows that Walmart sells the ThunderboltEX-3 that fits in the PCIe x4 slot.

0 Kudos
MRite18
1 Copper

@DELL-Chris M wrote:

A quick search shows that Walmart sells the ThunderboltEX-3 that fits in the PCIe x4 slot.

Is the motherboard in the XPS SE 8920 an ASUS motherboard?  Reading the description of the link you provided says that the card is compatible with ASUS motherboards.  Does the XPS SE 8920 have an onboard Thunderbolt header on the motherboard?

Upgrade your motherboard in just three simple steps!

1. Easy upgrade: Slide ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 into PCI-Express 3.0 x4 slot
  2. Compatible with ASUS motherboards: Connect the card to the onboard Thunderbolt header with the supplied system-link cable
  3. DisplayPort 1.2 support: Attach the supplied DisplayPort cable to the card and the onboard DisplayPort connector
0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

There is no Thunderbolt header on the board - and though the part number on the 8920 board makes it look like it is supplied by Pegatron (ASUS' ODM affiliate), there are absolutely no guarantees an ASUS Thunderbolt card will work with a Pegatron-built Dell board.

0 Kudos