Start a Conversation

Unsolved

X

19 Posts

December 31st, 2020 08:00

XPS 8920, USB Type-C port not working

I have a SanDisk 1TB portable external SSD, USB 3.1 with a native type C connector, and a standard USB 3 adapter.  Until recently, I have been using it with the adapter, but I just tried using it with the type C port on the rear.

It's completely dead.  I unplugged, and put on the standard usb adapter, and plug it into the USB port adjacent to the USB type C port, and it's instantly recognized.  Every other USB port on this machine instantly recognizes it.  I tried my old external HDD USB 3 drive, with identical results.

I've already gone through device manager, played around with reinstalling drivers, disable/enable etc. no luck.  Running all the latest drivers. 

Is the USB type C port on the back of the XPS 8920 purely for ornamental purposes, and non functional?

7 Technologist

• 

10.3K Posts

December 31st, 2020 20:00

Re: Is the USB type C port on the back of the XPS 8920 purely for ornamental purposes

of course not.  You may either have a bad USB C port and your USB C cable may be bad.  Unfortunately if the port is bad (hardware defect), there is not much you can do because it is an integrated portal of motherboard.  If Windows driver is issue, your BIOS should still detect a device plugged in it during POST because that is low level machine hardware detection.  Try to make a bootable USB out of your device, plug it in, power up and press F12 to see if BIOS detects the device and lets you boot from it.

4 Posts

January 30th, 2021 04:00

I had the same thing.

Plug in a wired keyboard  to the USB 3.1 fast port below the USB C and see if you can press F2 on Boot Up. You will probably find you can. If you have got into the BIOS check that the USB Ports are enabled . They probably are. A windows update in December seemed to have caused a conflict with the ASMediaTechnology Driver. If you go to the XPS 8920 driver page and download the USB 3.1 xHCI Controller Firmware update Tool and the ASMedia Technology USB driver (two separate files) run them and restart your PC you may find they work again as was  my case. There seems to be no way in Windows to remove the December update that seemed to have caused it.

July 17th, 2021 08:00

Thank You! Works to me!!

No Events found!