Highlighted
546insp
3 Argentium

XPS 8920, added 120mm front fan (with pictures)

Jump to solution

fan1.jpgJust happened to have thesefan2.jpgAdd double sided tape to low spotsfan3.jpgCut 3/8" thick weatherstriping pieces for corners and wrap with 1/4" x 1 weatherstripingfan4.jpgAdd a little glue to 1/4" sides. It touches on 3 sides, not going anywhere.fan5.jpgTape anywhere air can get in other than outside.fan6.jpgPwm signals pulse , not controlled by voltage and are more precise for synching.fan7.jpgThose rectangular vents are the only place (outside) air can get in.fan8.jpgI tapped into the top fan lead with the Arctic fan pigtail (cpu fan spins too fast)fan9.jpgI found one more breezy area and used some more weatherstripping to fit

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dell630i
2 Iron

Re: XPS 8920, added 120mm front fan (with pictures)

Jump to solution

That is the only place fresh air can get in . . . but your fan is sucking case air from that bottom port, unless you have blocked that off, or taped over the vents below your HDD drives.

fan5.jpg

0 Kudos
13 Replies
546insp
3 Argentium

Re: Added 120mm front fan to XPS 8920 (with pictures)

Jump to solution

Update; This new front fan dropped the air temperature 9* F on the average at the top fan and eliminated the fan racing when stressed, also it is completely quiet. 

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Dell630i
2 Iron

Re: Added 120mm front fan to XPS 8920 (with pictures)

Jump to solution

@546insp wrote:

Update; This new front fan dropped the air temperature 9* F on the average at the top fan and eliminated the fan racing when stressed, also it is completely quiet. 

Great pictures - very helpful. Now I see what you mean by sealing off extraneous air sources. I am going to try to put two fans in the front; top and bottom. I don't really need to, I don't have a heat problem, I don't even game. I'm just having fun and hopefully learning a little from this community.

0 Kudos
Dell630i
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Isn't the hot case air that is pulled across your two lower HDD baskets and out the bottom vents sucked through this lower front base port and circulated back into the case by your fan?

fan5.jpg

0 Kudos
546insp
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

@Dell630i wrote:

Isn't the hot case air that is pulled across your two lower HDD baskets and out the bottom vents sucked through this lower front base port and circulated back into the case by your fan?

fan5.jpg

???? Can you rephrase that?

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Dell630i
2 Iron

Jump to solution

sorry, sometimes it takes a while for pictures to be approved - arrows are supposed to represent air flow.hot air.jpg

0 Kudos
546insp
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

@Dell630i wrote:

sorry, sometimes it takes a while for pictures to be approved - arrows are supposed to represent air flow.hot air.jpg

The only place the air can get in is at the 1/4" wide gap at the bottom and sides in extreme front, all else is blocked off. The air goes straight back and up (much better than a top mounted fan).

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Dell630i
2 Iron

Jump to solution

That is the only place fresh air can get in . . . but your fan is sucking case air from that bottom port, unless you have blocked that off, or taped over the vents below your HDD drives.

fan5.jpg

0 Kudos
546insp
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

@Dell630i wrote:

fan5.jpg

You're right! I took the front bezel off and there is a vent down there that goes to the "basement" and up through the bottom of the HDD cages. I admit I messed that up so it took a few minutes to block it off with my duct tape and an exacto knife...………...thanks!

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Dell630i
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Thanks to you!

The only reason I am even looking at air flow is because of your advice in this discussion.

0 Kudos