Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

77 Posts

September 28th, 2018 17:00

XPS 8920, boot from M.2 NVMe?

Please forgive me, as I know its been asked before. However I have yet to see a clearly valid defined solution. 

I want to use my Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe, which I hope to clone (Macrium Reflect) as my boot drive.

I was able to clone but I can't get the system to boot from the M.2 alone.

20180928_205140.jpg

Could some please assist me with a walk through or directions in what I need to do please?

732 Posts

September 28th, 2018 21:00

No pic showing.

On mine I couldn't get  the same drive to even show up anywhere but I was awaiting the screw so I could cinch it down. It seems to me that since it was plugged in to the M.2 slot at 30* it should have worked but some say no and nobody has explained why yet. I sent the 970 back to Amazon and bought a 2.5'' SATA SSD.

77 Posts

September 29th, 2018 06:00

UPDATE: So after pulling an all righter, I removed the original drive, installed the evo 970 and installed clean version of windows. It booted and seems to be working well. Before doing so I went into the Bios , turned on legacy mode and turned off raid. Gonna try install the additional drives for storage and see what happens

77 Posts

September 29th, 2018 08:00

I usually like to leave it in UEFI. AHCI-Mode.

I tried to go back to UEFI in the  bios , but I got the  same  not  boot black screen again.

Eventually, re-enable SecureBoot toward end as last steps.

I will see what happens.

No Intel-RST installed ... ever.

I was sure not to do so

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 29th, 2018 08:00

I usually like to leave it in UEFI. AHCI-Mode.

Eventually, re-enable SecureBoot toward end as last steps.

No Intel-RST installed ... ever.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/m-p/6073081/highlight/true#M3401

October 5th, 2018 12:00

did you get yours to work? im thinking of purchasing a (Samsung ssd 970 pro nvme m.2 512 GB) but i want to use it as a boot source any tips you can give me would be very helpful i have a dell xps 8920

77 Posts

October 5th, 2018 17:00

yea. its booting from the 970 but i am still in legacy mode.

24 Posts

January 11th, 2020 06:00

I was able to build mine and working with a m.2 NVME 512gb and 2x 512gb ssd drives in raid stripe mode.

This is how I did it. - With Acronis

installed all drives

bios in UEFI not secure boot.

installed windows using OEM USB recovery drive. It does not see the m.2 drive during build.

Once I got windows installed and all my programs I placed a CD of Acronis 2020 boot cd in cd drive and shut the PC down.

i booted up in bios, changed to legacy.

I saved and exited the bios.

i then pressed F12 to show boot menu when the dell logo appeared.

selected the cd drive with Acronis under the UEFI BOOT menu. When Acronis menu came up I selected 1. For Acronis 64bit boot.

when Acronis came up I used the tools and utilities selection and picked Clone drive. I then selected manual settings so I can pick the drive I want to clone to.

after it was all completed I removed the cd and shut down the PC.

i then unplugged the power from the two striped ssd drives.

i powered on the PC and pressed F2 at dell logo to go into bios. I set the legacy back to UEFI. Saved and exited.

the PC booted to the m.2 drive.

i shutdown the PC once more. Plugged back in the 2 ssd drives. Booted PC and then formatted my drive D (2 SSD DRIVES STRIPPED). As I use my striped drives for data building and wanted it to be fast.

Hope this helps everyone else.

August 28th, 2020 20:00

Similar thing for me. I cloned the drive via Macrium within Windows, the BIOS was set to RAID mode even though there was only one disk, and I was oblivious to this fact. When I switched to the NVMe Windows gave me the boot errors and didn't proceed no matter what I did.

My solution:

• Clone the drive old HDD to NVMe
  • Re-install Windows on old drive (only because I had already wiped the old OS)
  • Boot into old drive Windows environment
  • Clone the bcdedit.exe store entry to the D:\ drive, which should be your NVMe.
  • Set your bcdedit.exe default entry as the D:\
  • Change display order of the bcdedit.exe to the now "default" drive
  • Reboot and verify that you are in the NVMe loaded OS (Win10 Defrag Utility will tell you)
  • Format your old drive for data purpose; e.g. RAID array, e.t.c. 

There are many tutorials online as to how to play with the bcdedit store, it was pretty simple and my old OS came back, cloned, as I had originally intended. All my files were intact and my system now boots within 10s. 

No Events found!