Start a Conversation

Unsolved

U

4 Posts

December 26th, 2019 15:00

XPS 8920, disable integrated graphics card

I am on Linux.

My XPS 8920 came with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070. It also has what looks like an integrated graphics card called Intel Corporation HD Graphics 630. I am having trouble setting up the drivers for both GPUs, as the Intel GPU uses the free nouveau drivers, while the GTX 1070 uses NVIDIA drivers.

The easiest solution I found online is to disable the integrated GPU, as in go into the BIOS settings and make it invisible to the OS. I tried that, but my BIOS seems to not have such an option. Did I miss it or is there actually no way to disable my integrated GPU?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 26th, 2019 15:00

Have you tried clicking on Device Manager and then click on Display Adapters. If you right click on the Intel 630 you can choose disable device.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

December 26th, 2019 16:00

I don't know what the free nouveau drivers are for the Intel Integrated Graphics. As far as I know, the XPS 8920 uses the Intel HD Graphics driver that can be downloaded here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-8920-desktop/drivers

I am on Manjaro Linux 18.1.4 Juhraya and yes, you can have 2 different GPUs on Linux but it's a pain to configure. I would much rather disable the integrated one, as I have never used it for anything, and only have the much smaller challenge of configuring my dedicated GPU.

Nouveau are free open-source drivers for graphics adapters. They are the standard when using generic graphics cards on Linux. In any case, my integrated graphics card already works and I am not looking for its drivers.

You mean the Windows Device Manager? I am on Linux.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@ wrote:

I am on Linux.

My XPS 8920 came with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070. It also has what looks like an integrated graphics card called Intel Corporation HD Graphics 630. I am having trouble setting up the drivers for both GPUs, as the Intel GPU uses the free nouveau drivers, while the GTX 1070 uses NVIDIA drivers.

The easiest solution I found online is to disable the integrated GPU, as in go into the BIOS settings and make it invisible to the OS. I tried that, but my BIOS seems to not have such an option. Did I miss it or is there actually no way to disable my integrated GPU?

You don't say what Linux distro you are running, but ...

You can't have 2 different GPU cards in a Linux machine ? Isn't that kinda lame?

In Windows-10 64-bit, we don't usually try to disable the Intel-GPU on these newer processors. AFAIK, it's because it is not a separate GPU. Now-days, Intel has integrated it as part of the CPU itself.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 26th, 2019 18:00

Sorry...missed that part about Linux. Too much turkey I suspect.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 27th, 2019 11:00

You can't disable intel Graphics because its INSIDE the CPU not external to the CPU.  nouveau linux drivers are not supported by Dell.

Linux support is not free and only for models that come with Linux installed by Dell. Nouveau is composed of a Linux kernel KMS driver (nouveau), Gallium3D drivers in Mesa, and the Xorg DDX (xf86-video-nouveau). 

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

No Events found!