Highlighted
Meestertee
1 Copper

XPS 8920, infinite restart loop, no recovery menu

I’ve owned this Xps 8920 for around 3 years now. I’ve recently installed a new hard drive into the desktop and changed secure mode off. After reverting the bios settings to factory defaults, the computer now will now infinitely restart a few seconds after the dell logo apears. I have uninstalled the hard drive and the problem persists. I have not added any other hardware to the computer in question, accept upgrading the gpu a few years before. I have already tried resetting the bios settings to factory. Any way to get it to boot into windows 10?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

Re: Xps 8920 infinite restart loop without recovery menu

@Meestertee wrote:

I’ve owned this Xps 8920 for around 3 years now.

1. I’ve recently installed a new hard drive into the desktop

2. and changed secure mode off.

3. After reverting the bios settings to factory defaults, the computer now will now infinitely restart a few seconds after the dell logo appears. 

1. Should have been no problem if installed as 😧 (a non-bootable drive)

2. I would not have messed with that.

What I would have done is take a full Macrium Reflect (backup) image before starting this project. At the very least, I would have done a backup of important files.

3. While only original C: is connected, put BIOS options back like they use to be and it might work.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos