Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 21st, 2018 20:00

XPS 8920, install new sound card

My Klipsch 2.1 satellite & sub-woofer do not work with my current sound card (Nvidia Hi Def audio? Realtek audio). Speakers work but not sub-woofer. I want to take out the original sound card and replace it with an older Creative Labs SB X-Fi extreme SB0460. I found the drivers for Windows 10 online. Question is, do I uninstall the drivers for my current card before I swap out? When do I install the driver for the Creative Labs sound card? What else do I need to do pre and post install?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 03:00

NVIDIA is only for HDMI audio.  Realtek audio is a chip on the motherboard.  It can be "removed".

Exactly what model Klipsch 2.1 system do you have?  The Realtek audio and the "speaker" output is set up to work with 2.1 audio.  I find current Realtek audio is as good (or better) than older Creative/SoundBlaster audio. I do a lot of audio work as I have a recording studio. 

82 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 06:00

I have the Klipsch 2.1 Promedia THX certified. Speakers and sub have one connector to the sound card. Speakers worked great in my XPS 8500. Plugged this into my new XPS 8920 and no sound from the sub. Current card has separate input for sub.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 07:00

According to the Klipsch manual, there is only one connection to the PC, the "Speaker" or "Line" jack.  Everything interconnects within the speaker system, like all the other 2.1 speaker systems.   If you have been running it with two connections to the PC that is wrong, according to the manual.

http://images.klipsch.com/ProMedia21OwnersManualRev2012_635042122162050000.pdf

82 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 08:00

Sorry did not explain properly. I have only one connection to the PC, not 2. This is the same as my prev desktop running Win 7. After a driver update I think this may be a Win 10 problem since a lot of ppl are complaining of same.

Speaker setup shows stereo, quadraphonic and 5.1 - I tried stereo and 5.1 but no change. All volume controls set at max, nothing muted. I tried small, medium and large speakers. Speakers are set to default. Not sure what else to do at this point.

I would really like to hear the sub and not sure if I buy new it will rectify anything although the current Klipsch are analog and not digital. Could that be the problem??

I like my new XPS 8920 but sometimes wish I had not gotten a Win 10 desktop! This should not be that hard to rectify.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 10:00

@jgarciawrote:

1. Sorry did not explain properly. I have only one connection to the PC, not 2.

2. After a driver update I think this may be a Win 10 problem since a lot of ppl are complaining of same.

3. Speaker setup shows stereo, quadraphonic and 5.1 - I tried stereo and 5.1 but no change. 

4. I would really like to hear the sub and not sure if I buy new it will rectify anything although the current Klipsch are analog and not digital. Could that be the problem??

5. I like my new XPS 8920 but sometimes wish I had not gotten a Win 10 desktop! This should not be that hard to rectify.

Read @fireberd posts carefully. The XPS-8920 is perfectly capable of running this simple analog stereo speaker set.

1. Right ... just one wire carrying analog stereo.

2. Doubtful

3. Stereo is what you want. The Klipsch extract the sub's .1 internally.

4. SubWoofer-part might be malfunctioning (seen that before in these old speaker sets).

5. Don't you like puzzles ? :Smile: I would not be blaming the XPS-8920 until I heard these old speakers work perfectly with another desktop, laptop, or old-school MP3 player.

82 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 14:00

Tesla1856, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Connected the Klipsch back to the old desktop and the sub not working at full volume so I do think there is a loose connection somewhere. Connected another set of 2.1 and they work fine. Time for new ones, have had these well over 12 yrs. Maybe bluetooth :)

I was jesting about the new Win 10 desktop, I know things have to be tweaked, I just have been overwhelmed of late :smileyfrustrated:

Thanks to @fireberd too for input

EDIT: Tried again before I unplugged and the sub works nice on the other desktop....oh my.

82 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 15:00

Problem solved! Not sure what happened. Connected the Klipsch back into the XPS 8920 and viola they work.

I updated the driver previously and restarted. Ran troubleshooter and just did another restart and now they work fine. Not quite sure how or why just glad they work.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2018 03:00

I suspect it was a connection in the speaker wiring.  Moving it from one PC to another and reconnecting must have corrected it.  But, glad to hear its sorted out.

No Events found!