2 Bronze

XPS 8920, power button LED issue

Hello everyone,

My XPS 8920 suddenly the power light button is not working,  the computer power on and off fine but the white LED on the power button is not lit.   My PC is about 2 months past warranty period.    

With this symptom,  is the culprit is just my power button led only and I should ignore it  everything else should be fine?    If I need to replace the power button do you know approximately how much it cost and is it easy to replace it ?

Thanks

11 Replies
5 Iridium

Re: XPS 8920 Power Button light issue

If the system powers on with no problems then it is probably only the LED that is defective but it is part of the button assy. Power buttons are generally easy to replace. The cost is pretty minimal.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Genuine-For-Dell-For-Xps-8920-7529Sl-Power-Button-Board-cable-37jgh-...

https://www.ebay.com/p/Dell-XPS-8910-Power-Button-Cable-37jgh-Tested/21008895721

And to replace

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/xps-8920-desktop/xps-8920-service%20manual/removing-th...

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built with MSI B450-A Pro Max with Ryzen 7 2700X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575 and Latitude E5430
2 Bronze

Thank you for the information.  From the look of the cable shown from your link,  the larger connector end is the one plug into the mother board.   The smaller end, is that suppose to be the button or the LED?

I called Dell Supports out of warranty line directly and told them about this issue and they gave me a different part number.   It is J2PX2 cost is $39 plus tax. 

I did a search on the internet and found what the part look different from your link.   Probably I'm going to take it apart first to make sure which one to get.

https://www.impactcomputers.com/j2px2.html

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I forgot to mention that when I press the power button to turn on the PC,  the button immediately flash amber light once very quick,  then it goes dark, then it go through boot up sequence normally. 

Does this meant that it shows an error code ?

I look at the Dell service manual it says flash once is System board: BIOS and ROM failure.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Copper

I have the same exact issue with my tower--the LED power light illuminates for a few moments on startup, then goes black. This has been happening for over a year. Just yesterday, I noticed that it was HALF-illuminated after a full day of being on. I was wondering if a driver or a firmware update resolved it... but it looks like it's back to LED OFF when I booted up this morning.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

@maximumsp  - Probably time to replace the power button module as @JOcean linked above, if you really want/need that LED, and as long as PC is booting normally without it...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Yup, mine started to do it too.  Dell should replace these if it is a global 8920 pandemic.  Makes one wonder about the rest of the box if they can't get this right.

I also see the amber led flash when I push the button.

-Bob

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

@Homer1952  Did you count the amber flashes which are an error code?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I only saw it flash one time.  I'll look again the next time I reboot.

Is there an error table?

-bob

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

ps- everything else seems to be running fine.  As I look on the web, there seems to be a lot of Dell power switch issues, while the rest of the compooter runs fine.

0 Kudos