Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

23 Posts

February 24th, 2019 17:00

XPS 8920, power button LED issue

Hello everyone,

My XPS 8920 suddenly the power light button is not working,  the computer power on and off fine but the white LED on the power button is not lit.   My PC is about 2 months past warranty period.    

With this symptom,  is the culprit is just my power button led only and I should ignore it  everything else should be fine?    If I need to replace the power button do you know approximately how much it cost and is it easy to replace it ?

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

February 24th, 2019 17:00

February 25th, 2019 13:00

Thank you for the information.  From the look of the cable shown from your link,  the larger connector end is the one plug into the mother board.   The smaller end, is that suppose to be the button or the LED?

I called Dell Supports out of warranty line directly and told them about this issue and they gave me a different part number.   It is J2PX2 cost is $39 plus tax. 

I did a search on the internet and found what the part look different from your link.   Probably I'm going to take it apart first to make sure which one to get.

https://www.impactcomputers.com/j2px2.html

February 25th, 2019 16:00

I forgot to mention that when I press the power button to turn on the PC,  the button immediately flash amber light once very quick,  then it goes dark, then it go through boot up sequence normally. 

Does this meant that it shows an error code ?

I look at the Dell service manual it says flash once is System board: BIOS and ROM failure.

Thanks

1 Message

May 15th, 2020 06:00

I have the same exact issue with my tower--the LED power light illuminates for a few moments on startup, then goes black. This has been happening for over a year. Just yesterday, I noticed that it was HALF-illuminated after a full day of being on. I was wondering if a driver or a firmware update resolved it... but it looks like it's back to LED OFF when I booted up this morning.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 15th, 2020 11:00

@maximumsp  - Probably time to replace the power button module as @JOcean linked above, if you really want/need that LED, and as long as PC is booting normally without it...

16 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 11:00

Yup, mine started to do it too.  Dell should replace these if it is a global 8920 pandemic.  Makes one wonder about the rest of the box if they can't get this right.

I also see the amber led flash when I push the button.

-Bob

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 3rd, 2020 13:00

@Homer1952  Did you count the amber flashes which are an error code?

16 Posts

August 4th, 2020 04:00

I only saw it flash one time.  I'll look again the next time I reboot.

Is there an error table?

-bob

16 Posts

August 4th, 2020 05:00

ps- everything else seems to be running fine.  As I look on the web, there seems to be a lot of Dell power switch issues, while the rest of the compooter runs fine.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 4th, 2020 11:00

The table of blink codes for XPS models, 2015-Present is here.

Codes come in two groups, blinks>short pause>blinks, repeat, like 2,1 etc.

If PC is working ok and you don't see a blink code, just keep an eye things, and back up your files on external media on regular basis...

11 Posts

November 9th, 2020 07:00

It's the same part number & problem with the XPS 8930, regular or Special Edition.  I replaced two yesterday. I replaced one prior on a different computer & I still need to replace a 4th.   Should be a recall.

1 Message

April 11th, 2021 11:00

I had this problem a few months after I got the computer.  It was under warranty and replaced.  Now it happened again.  Cheap part?  

I agree with all who say it should be a recall item.  They ought to send it out to those who can self install.  Part sells for +$30 but likely cost less than $1.00 to manufacture. 

5 Posts

January 22nd, 2023 05:00

There seem to be a lot more than two people who have this problem and it is obviously a design defect which apparently has never been addressed.  Mine failed in the same way during warranty and Dell paid for an engineer to come and replace it.  A few weeks after warranty expiry, it happened again but I had become used to working without the white led; I simply check that the green led on the PSU is illuminated if ever I need to know if the computer is running or not.  Clearly, Dell should be supplying replacements for those who want / need them.

No Events found!