Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 20th, 2022 17:00

XPS 8930, BIOS 1.1.20 update

Dell has released BIOS 1.1.20 for the XPS 8930 to fix some security issues.

After you install this update, be sure to go into BIOS setup and confirm that the settings for UEFI Capsule Updates, Automatic BIOS Recovery, Integrity Check, Wake by LAN, etc, are set the way you want. If you changed any of those from their default settings, the update will revert them back to their defaults.

Also be aware that Windows Update is suddenly offering BIOS 0.1.1.19 as an "optional" update for the XPS 8930, even though I've already updated to 1.1.20. (Still don't know why WU puts 0. in front of all Dell's BIOS version numbers.)

When WU previously offered an "optional" BIOS update to 0.1.18 for the XPS 8930, I ignored it because I'd already installed 1.1.18 directly from the Dell site. After a while WU decided to install it without permission, even though this version was already installed. Let's hope WU doesn't try to force downgrade BIOS back to 0.1.1.19 when 1.1.20 is installed.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 25th, 2022 11:00

@mfurr  I haven't installed KB5010793.

It's OK to skip BIOS 1.1.19. Updates are cumulative so 1.1.20 should have everything that was originally fixed 1.1.19.

BIOS 0.1.1.19 is still listed as "optional" by Windows Update for my PC, but the last time I ignored an "optional" BIOS update for a couple of weeks, WU forcibly installed it.

I suggest you try this for the rebooting issue:

1. Reboot and start tapping F2 when you see the Dell splash screen to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current BIOS settings, to be safe
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reinstall the battery (Time for a fresh CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery? ~$2)
  8. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  9. Reboot

Let us know if that solves this problem...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 21st, 2022 11:00

@DaBunny42 - IMO...that's not too likely.

They may want to keep that info secret and not tip off hackers about a hole in earlier BIOS versions, especially when this new version has just been released and there are probably lots of XPS 8930 still running the previous (or older) version of BIOS.

1 Message

January 20th, 2022 21:00

Is there any way to find out what security issues this addresses?

57 Posts

January 21st, 2022 13:00

Thanks for the heads-up on the BIOS. I am on the 1.1.19 now, and just went to check Windows Update for optional updates. It is offering 0.1.1.19 as an optional driver update, even though that's what I already have. Scary. I am heading to Dell driver page to get the 1.1.20 and then fix the BIOS settings again. The last thing I want is for Windows Update to install a BIOS update.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 21st, 2022 18:00

@dave423  You're welcome.

But like I said, Windows Update forced installed BIOS v1.1.18 on my PC even though it was already running that same version. And I know it happened because all the BIOS options I mentioned above got reset to their default settings and WU History said it was successfully installed.

Remains to be seen if WU will try to force downgrade us back to 1.1.19 even when we have 1.1.20 installed. I suspect WU looks at the WU History to decide what needs to be installed. Since it didn't install 1.1.19 on my PC, there's no entry in the History so it may try to install that version.

1 Rookie

• 

116 Posts

January 24th, 2022 19:00

RoHe, I installed BIOS 1.1.20 tonight on my 8930.  I was running 1.1.18 and had not installed 1.1.19.  Using the USB method it worked as usual with no problems.  An hour or so later I ran Windows Update, which had been paused for 13 days , and it installed several things with the usual re-boots etc.  It went off with no problems and did not try to instal 1.1.19.  Win update KN5010793 is listed as an additional update if wanted.  Have you installed this update and is it safe to use?  Thanks for all the help you provide on this forum.  Now, if I can find what is causing my 8930 to reboot after I shut it down I will be a happy camper.  

1 Rookie

• 

116 Posts

January 25th, 2022 18:00

RoHe, thanks for the reply.  I will try your suggestion with the BIOS and battery out method in the next couple of days.  I will let you know.  

513 Posts

January 27th, 2022 07:00

Suprise Suprise after updating to 1.1.20 I check my BIOS everything I disabled is enabled as Ron said. And the big Suprise is.

0.1.1.19.jpg

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 27th, 2022 12:00

@CTG_8273  - No a surprise there. I've been mentioning that optional update on these forums for more than a week.

Just ignore their generous offer to update BIOS for you!

56 Posts

February 7th, 2022 19:00

I think either Microsoft or Dell tried to auto update my XPS 8940 BIOS. I turned it on and I just had a black screen for a minute or two and then it shut off without starting. I thought what the heck! (My PC is only 3 months old, BTW! and came with Windows 11) I was going to press the power button and tried to start it again when it restarted. After a bit, it came up and seemed to be OK. But I opened the Event Viewer just to see what might have happened and I saw that I had multiple critical errors for a week or more where the PC failed to shut down cleanly. I thought no way! And then I remembered that little false start. So then I went to the internet to see what to do about the error. And the first thing they said was to check for driver updates. So I go to the Dell website and I see that there is a BIOS update. I thought "Great. Do I do it or not? I remember reading recently that some people had trouble starting their Dell PCs after a BIOS update. So I decide to check my Device Manager to see if there are any issues and I see that the FIRMWARE subcategory is open which usually means that there is an issue. There are two items under FIRMWARE; one from Microsoft and one from Dell. The one from Dell shows the new BIOS number even though I hadn't installed it yet. When I look at the properties, it says I need to reboot the PC before this will take effect. I do that, but the same thing happens. False start, etc. So then I call Dell Support since I have an extended warranty. He does go and download the latest BIOS update and installs it and that fixes the issue.

But who came up with this terrible idea? I mean how do I know that my BIOS is being updated, if no one tells me. I could shut up off my machine in the middle of the process since I don't know it's happening. And I wouldn't update my BIOS if we're having a thunderstorm or something for fear the power might go out. They should let me do the BIOS updates and stop this auto nonsense.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 8th, 2022 10:00

@Kev914z  Good questions...but there are no answers...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 5th, 2022 18:00

And another BIOS update for XPS 8930, to v1.1.21.

1 Rookie

• 

116 Posts

March 13th, 2022 09:00

RoHe, I wanted to let you know that your suggestion for fixing my reboot problem seems to have done the trick.  Sorry it took me so long to let you know.  Thanks man. 

November 25th, 2023 07:15

thanks for sharing such a amazing solution.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

March 4th, 2024 15:24

thanks for sharing such a amazing solution.

No Events found!