Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 15th, 2018 12:00

XPS 8930, BIOS settings

Need some clarification for a friend on the Cakewalk Sonar forum.  He just purchased a new XPS8930 that he will be using as his recording studio system.

His Questions:

In my BIOS SpeedStep and SpeedShift are both enabled. Is this correct?
Also, in the SATA Operation field, RAID is On. Correct?

I find the SpeedStep parameter in the BIOS (in the on-line Dell manual) but nothing about "SpeedShift". 

Also is RAID really needed?

Thanks/Jack

Inspiron 16 5630 Laptop and WD22TB4 Docking Station
Self-built desktop for recording studio application

2.3K Posts

August 15th, 2018 14:00

All the speedshift and speedstep and whatever else will be on by default. Those allow for better power conservation. As for the RAID situation, its normally on because a lot of computer models use Intel's Rapid Storage or Optaine system for faster boot and program access, which requires 'raid'.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 15th, 2018 15:00

Thanks for the info.

140 Posts

August 15th, 2018 20:00

I found this on Speed Shift:  What does Intel Speed Shift technology do?  With Skylake, Intel's 6th generation Core processors, this changes. The processor has been designed in a way that with the right commands, the OS can hand control of the frequency and voltage back to the processor. Intel is calling this technology 'Speed Shift'.

As far as the Raid setting, unless you're installing a Samsung NVMe drive and want to use their NVMe driver, I would leave it set as it came from the factory.

No Events found!