Highlighted
goodlife8808
1 Copper

XPS 8930, BIOS update 1.1.4 not installing

Jump to solution

I downloaded the BIOS update, (bitlocker is disabled) and double clicked on it. Nothing happened, no prompt, no restart, no message, no nothing. I eventually restarted and the system took longer than usual to restart and eventually when it came back online, the BIOS version was unchanged. I have no third party anti-virus software, just what comes with Windows 10 Pro.

My Configuration

Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date
Dell Inc. 1.1.3, 11/2/2018

BIOS Mode
UEFI

Secure Boot State
On

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)
64.0 GB

Kernel DMA Protection
Off

Virtualization-based security
Running

Virtualization-based security Required Security Properties
Base Virtualization Support, Secure Boot, DMA Protection

Virtualization-based security Available Security Properties
Base Virtualization Support, Secure Boot, DMA Protection, Mode Based Execution Control

Virtualization-based security Services Configured
Credential Guard, Hypervisor enforced Code Integrity

Virtualization-based security Services Running
Credential Guard, Hypervisor enforced Code Integrity

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Techgee
3 Zinc

Re: XPS 8930, BIOS update 1.1.4 not installing

Jump to solution

As RoHe mentioned, failed BIOS updates can brick your machine.

The BIOS is a critical component - basically how the operating system (Windows) talks to your computer's hardware.  I avoid updating the BIOS while Windows is running - would you try to work on your car while driving down the highway?

See Dell's how to update the BIOS article here.  I generally would update the BIOS via following method in the link:

5. Flashing the BIOS from the F12 One-Time boot menu

The F12 method does NOT need a bootable USB stick (for example with FreeDOS on it) - it just needs the BIOS update file on the stick.  Updating BIOS via F12 is relatively easy and safe:  copy the BIOS update file to a FAT32 formatted USB stick and power up into the F12 menu.

--------

BIOS can also be updated by using Dell's tools to create a bootable USB stick - see following section in link above:

7. How to Update Your System BIOS Using a USB Flash Drive

Or, if you want to update BIOS via bootable FreeDOS (or do everything from Linux) you can follow links under:

8. Updating the Dell BIOS in Linux and Ubuntu Environments

Quick link to FreeDOS method here.

See "3. Creating a USB Bootable Storage Device Using FreeDOS (Legacy Sytems)"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

Be careful...a failed BIOS update can brick your motherboard. Are you sure you really need  BIOS 1.1.4?

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Find the UEFI Firmware Capsule Updates option and make sure it's Enabled. EDIT: Save the change, if any, but don't change anything else in BIOS setup and then exit setup.

Have you tried right-clicking the BIOS update .exe on the desktop and selecting "Run as Administrator" (with anti-malware disabled)?

You could create a bootable USB stick and put the BIOS update .exe on it. Connect it to PC while it's powered off. Then power on and immediately press F12. There may be an option on that menu to run a BIOS update. Otherwise select boot from USB and launch the update.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

Techgee
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

As RoHe mentioned, failed BIOS updates can brick your machine.

The BIOS is a critical component - basically how the operating system (Windows) talks to your computer's hardware.  I avoid updating the BIOS while Windows is running - would you try to work on your car while driving down the highway?

See Dell's how to update the BIOS article here.  I generally would update the BIOS via following method in the link:

5. Flashing the BIOS from the F12 One-Time boot menu

The F12 method does NOT need a bootable USB stick (for example with FreeDOS on it) - it just needs the BIOS update file on the stick.  Updating BIOS via F12 is relatively easy and safe:  copy the BIOS update file to a FAT32 formatted USB stick and power up into the F12 menu.

--------

BIOS can also be updated by using Dell's tools to create a bootable USB stick - see following section in link above:

7. How to Update Your System BIOS Using a USB Flash Drive

Or, if you want to update BIOS via bootable FreeDOS (or do everything from Linux) you can follow links under:

8. Updating the Dell BIOS in Linux and Ubuntu Environments

Quick link to FreeDOS method here.

See "3. Creating a USB Bootable Storage Device Using FreeDOS (Legacy Sytems)"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
goodlife8808
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Thanks for the feedback. I went with installing it from a USB stick using F12 and Flash BIOS update and it work like a charm. I don't know what I was thinking, I've done BIOS updates so many times and this is the right way of doing it without the OS or anything else in the way that might cause issues. I guess I put too much faith in Dell without considering the nightmare I would have to go through if it turned sideways on me. Phew.