darbok
1 Copper

XPS 8930, BSOD issues

So, I got the computer back in august from best buy. I've been having a problem that if i walk away from the computer for too long it gets a BSOD error and reboots. Its the same error twice. Sometimes even when i'm playing a game or such the mouse will disappear and it will reboot. I've tried everything from removing hardware, to removing programs, removing/reseating memory, looking at debugging dumps, consulting google on the errors. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall windows. I dont know if there is something with this model or if I'm just that lucky. I know best buy wont help me without a charge and I know if I call dell tech support they'll want to spend hours doing what i've already done to probably tell me to reinstall windows.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
7- Thorium

Re: XPS 8930, BSOD issues

Exactly what does the BSOD say?

Have you tried adjusting the Windows Power options?

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Look for the USB Wake Support option in the Power Options area of BIOS. Make sure USB Wake Support is enabled. Save the change, but do not change anything else in BIOS setup. Exit BIOS setup.

When PC reboots, open Device Manager and expand list under USB. Double-click a USB root hub and click its Power Management tab. Uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...". Repeat for all root hubs.

Now expand list under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager and uncheck that same box for any HID entry that has a Power Management tab. Exit Device Manager when done.

Next, open the Windows Power options screen and identify the active Power plan. Click the link to change its settings and on next screen click link for Additional Options. On that screen, disable Hibernation, disable Hybrid Sleep, disable USB Selective Suspend, and disable PCI Express Link State Management. Save the changes to the power plan and reboot.

See if that helps...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos