It appears that they have pulled the 1.0.5 bios update for the XPS 8930. The only version now available online is the 1.0.2 version. Hopefully, the next release will be better tested and actually work!
Righton Koeven, the continuous notification in Windows to update to Bios 1.0.5 is indeed gone also.
The only remaining available at Dell Support is 1.0.2 ( 1.0.1 disappeared also)
My XPS 8930 received Jan 7 in Belgium has the 1.0.2 Bios ( not 1.0.3 as stated before, my mistake)
I highly recommend to download this Bios installer and keep it in a safe location, just in case some future
Bios 1.0.x upgrade requires a downgrade.
I will keep this post open and alive until we get a final resolution regarding Intel Spectre / Meltdown remediation for the XPS 8930.
@B1tbull - Thank you for your comments - yes - not clear why my postings (tried several times with the same msg) of my original comments haven't "stuck" (for some reason, my posted comments seem to disappear, esp after reloading the comments page) - I'm a newbie to this Dell Community forum - perhaps I'm not doing something that could be better? - sent you a copy of my original comments for re-posting from your positioning if possible - in any case - Thank you for your own comments - and - Enjoy!
[re-posting my (newly edited/adjusted) original comments - cmts did not post earlier for some reason]
FWIW - My Dell XPS 8930 was delivered in December, 2017 - at the time, Dell Diagnostics recommended upgrading to "BIOS 1 (dot) 0 (dot) 5" - this was done without any problems - my computer now indicates "BIOS 1 (dot) 0 (dot) 5 (12/12/2017)" via Windows 10 ( C (colon) (slash) Windows (slash) System32 (slash) msinfo32 (dot) exe ) - Dell Diagnostics now recommends "BIOS 1 (dot) 0 (dot) 2" ? - since all now seems ok, I've chosen to wait and see - esp re future Spectre and Meltdown patches or related - in any case - Enjoy!
This is my first post in Dell's community.
I'm expecting a brand new 8930 to arrive on Feb 7.
It's a i7-8700 (non K version) with 64 ram, GTX 1080 and 256GB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive.
No idea yet what the bios version will be shipped with, but I'll update on that.
My 2 cents here for your issues is simple (based on the fact that I learned programming by programming processors and creating BIOS code in my early days) - As long as your current BIOS version works just fine, Do Not try to upgrade it yet. Allow a good month for any new releases.
As specified in earlier comments, Dell did not specify all the releases in their 1.0.5 versions. They should be at least something like 220.127.116.11 rev A or 18.104.22.168 rev B or 22.214.171.124 rev A, you get the picture. All they say is 1.0.5.
Anyways, I will update once I get my pc delivered and let you know what BIOS version they shipped it with .. shipping should be on Jan 30 as of this date.
Thanks for all your postings here, I really had lots of info on the issues and upgrade possibilities for XPS 8930.
P.S - DrBogdan - Salutare si numai bine!
Thank you B1tbull (*be one tough bull?
I expect the system to arrive hopefully on Feb 07.
Will update you with the BIOS version they now ship the system with, although I think your money is safe on the 1.0.2.
All the best, I'll continue monitoring this thread.