B1tbull
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 8930 Bios Update Questions

Koeven
2 Iron

It appears that they have pulled the 1.0.5 bios update for the XPS 8930.  The only version now available online is the 1.0.2 version.  Hopefully, the next release will be better tested and actually work!

0 Kudos
B1tbull
2 Bronze

Righton Koeven, the continuous notification in Windows to update to Bios 1.0.5 is indeed gone also.

The only remaining available at Dell Support is 1.0.2 ( 1.0.1 disappeared also)
My XPS 8930 received Jan 7 in Belgium has the 1.0.2 Bios ( not 1.0.3 as stated before, my mistake)

I highly recommend to download this Bios installer and keep it in a safe location, just in case some future
Bios 1.0.x upgrade requires a downgrade.

I will keep this post open and alive until we get a final resolution regarding Intel Spectre / Meltdown remediation for the XPS 8930. 

0 Kudos
B1tbull
2 Bronze

A post by Drbogdan seems removed. This was about a successful upgrade to 1.0.5 on XPS 8930, but now there is a notification under Windows to "update" to 1.0.2?
Drbogdan, did you remove your post?
Drbogdan
1 Nickel

@B1tbull - Thank you for your comments - yes - not clear why my postings (tried several times with the same msg) of my original comments haven't "stuck" (for some reason, my posted comments seem to disappear, esp after reloading the comments page) - I'm a newbie to this Dell Community forum - perhaps I'm not doing something that could be better? - sent you a copy of my original comments for re-posting from your positioning if possible - in any case - Thank you for your own comments - and - Enjoy! Smiley Happy
Drbogdan

0 Kudos
B1tbull
2 Bronze

Here is an in depth reference to the Spectre / Meltdown issue, thanks for this contribution by @drbgogdan.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_(security_vulnerability)
Highlighted
Drbogdan
1 Nickel

[re-posting my (newly edited/adjusted) original comments - cmts did not post earlier for some reason]

FWIW - My Dell XPS 8930 was delivered in December, 2017 - at the time, Dell Diagnostics recommended upgrading to "BIOS 1 (dot) 0 (dot) 5" - this was done without any problems - my computer now indicates "BIOS 1 (dot) 0 (dot) 5 (12/12/2017)" via Windows 10 ( C (colon) (slash) Windows (slash) System32 (slash) msinfo32 (dot) exe ) - Dell Diagnostics now recommends "BIOS 1 (dot) 0 (dot) 2" ? - since all now seems ok, I've chosen to wait and see - esp re future Spectre and Meltdown patches or related - in any case - Enjoy! Smiley Happy

Criminalu
1 Nickel

Hi all!

This is my first post in Dell's community.

I'm expecting a brand new 8930 to arrive on Feb 7.

It's a i7-8700 (non K version) with 64 ram, GTX 1080 and 256GB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive.

No idea yet what the bios version will be shipped with, but I'll update on that.

My 2 cents here for your issues is simple (based on the fact that I learned programming by programming processors and creating BIOS code in my early days) - As long as your current BIOS version works just fine, Do Not try to upgrade it yet. Allow a good month for any new releases.

As specified in earlier comments, Dell did not specify all the releases in their 1.0.5 versions. They should be at least something like 1.0.5.117 rev A or 1.0.5.117 rev B or 1.0.5.2 rev A, you get the picture. All they say is 1.0.5.

Anyways, I will update once I get my pc delivered and let you know what BIOS version they shipped it with .. shipping should be on Jan 30 as of this date.

Thanks for all your postings here, I really had lots of info on the issues and upgrade possibilities for XPS 8930.

P.S - DrBogdan - Salutare si numai bine! Smiley Happy

B1tbull
2 Bronze

Hello Criminalu, welcome on board. Looking forward to see what Bios your brand new XPS 8930 will ship with, I put my money on 1.0.2.
This is my fifth Dell unit and I never upgraded the Bios because all the past upgrades were about accommodating new hardware or fixing obscure bugs that did not affect my systems anyway.
Good to have someone with hands on Bios experience in the conversation.
0 Kudos
Criminalu
1 Nickel

Thank you B1tbull (*be one tough bull? Smiley Happy
I expect the system to arrive hopefully on Feb 07.
Will update you with the BIOS version they now ship the system with, although I think your money is safe on the  1.0.2.
All the best, I'll continue monitoring this thread.

0 Kudos