Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

10 Posts

June 7th, 2020 13:00

XPS 8930, CPU cooling design

Someone please explain to me the engineering behind the XPS 8930 case. The following is a capture of my CPU temperatures. The black box is an idle load while the red box is during heavy loads (e.g. gaming) 

Capture1.gif

Even for stock cooling, this is bananas. Granted the CPU will throttle down when it hits 100C to protect itself, it should not even be getting close to that number in the first place. These cases should ship with the same cooling components used in the Alienware series (same case, different shell). There is absolutely no excuse for it not too in the first place. 

Yes. I know I can upgrade the exhaust fan and install intake fans myself. I can upgrade the CPU fan as well.

BUT I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO THAT. 

So what is the deal? I have been searching this forum and this is a very common problem. Yet I have seen zero remedies from Dell besides "Update the BIOS" and that did nothing.

34 Posts

Hello,

I thought I'd add a trick that worked for me on the 8930.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/95580-add-remove-maximum-processor-frequency-windows-10-power-options.html

I used option one, reducing processor freq to 3600 Mhz with good results.  It costs nothing and I've noticed no loss of performance.  As always, YMMV...

• 

25K Posts

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

June 7th, 2020 15:00

Unfortunately it just boils down to this; you're limited by the hardware and SFF design ... there's only so much heat that mini-air cooler can handle.  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 7th, 2020 16:00

@LePouletPourpre    Someone please explain to me the engineering behind the XPS 8930 case.

Engineering   the air flow starved small form factor case with the swing out PSU contraption had to be designed by marketing. They will not correct the known overheating i$$ues becau$e they are more intere$ted in $omething other than cu$tomer $ati$faction.

Make the modifications you have found in this forum.

258 Posts

June 7th, 2020 20:00

@LePouletPourpre 

Agreed.  Now what?

I have your CPU.  When I spec'd the system, I anticipated the cooling issue and expected to upgrade to two 120mm case fans... and did.  The system is now ok... it revs up under heavy load, but that doesn't happen often.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-how-is-the-cooling-in-the-i9-9900/m-p/7508730/highlight/true#M46666

GK

June 8th, 2020 09:00

The case should have came with two 120MM fans in the first place. That burden should not fall on the customer. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 8th, 2020 10:00

@LePouletPourpre   The case should have came with two 120MM fans in the first place. That burden should not fall on the customer. 

You are correct, but it does . . . so make it an enjoyable and educational experience. It is actually fun modding computers.

258 Posts

June 9th, 2020 06:00

@LePouletPourpre 

The case should have came with two 120MM fans in the first place. That burden should not fall on the customer.

We agree again.  This will probably be the only two things you don't like about your new computer... insufficient, noisy cooling and Dell's marketing:

Annotation 2020-06-09 083412.png

GK

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 9th, 2020 09:00

@GKDesigns   insufficient, noisy cooling and Dell's marketing

at least they don't seem to be marketing the XPS 8930 as a "Gaming PC" any more, which was how it initially came out.

January 5th, 2021 21:00

Probably late to this (and many other) thread. 

Recently bought a XPS 8930 on the big auction site very, very lightly used. 

Asetek 645LT 92mm AIO fits into the case with minimal effort. Was able to make space for push/pull configuration with 2x Noctua 92mm slim fans running off SATA power. 

Idle temps high 20s, occasional 30s. 

Prime95 touches 70C before power throttling. Gaming in the low 60s. 

https://store.asetek.com/products/asetek-645lt-92mm-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler

No Events found!