Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2019 10:00

XPS 8930, Can't update BIOS?

I purchased this computer in March 2019. It came with BIOS v 1.1.3. In May I updated to BIOS v 1.1.4 using Dell's online SupportAssist. Since that time I have not been able to do a BIOS update using either the manual method or SupportAssist. Several days ago a Dell support lady took over my computer and for about an hour tried to update my BIOS with no success. I am currently trying to update using a USB flash drive. I have followed Dell's procedure using the Diagnostic Deployment Package (DDDP) to setup the flash drive. I then used Dell's 8-step instructions on how to update BIOS using the flash drive. I get through Step 4 OK, which displays the "One Time Boot Menu". Step 5 says to use arrow keys to select "USB Storage Device" and press Return. But there isn't any "USB Storage Device" option. Instead I selected the "BIOS Flash Update" option. This opened a new "BIOS Flash Update" screen which correctly showed my present BIOS as v1.1.4, and in the "BIOS Flash File Selection" window showed the XPS8930_1.1.6 update file I wanted to install. AND THAT'S AS FAR AS I COULD GO. The only field I could navigate to was the "FIle system" dropdown box which did nothing useful. I never got to Steps 6, 7, or 8 of the update procedure. After hitting the "Esc" key the computer rebooted, and I checked that it was still using BIOS v1.1.4. Final Note: When I clicked on my C:\ drive, I saw at the bottom of the folder list two new files had been installed with an installation date corresponding to the day I tried the USB flash drive update.. One file was named simply "BIOS.exe", and other "amifldrv.sys". I don't have the courage to execute the BIOS.exe file. I am at a loss what to try next to update BIOS.

5 Posts

August 13th, 2019 06:00

So far my computer is working fine, no slow downs or anything else I can detect.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 6th, 2019 11:00

Is the USB stick connected to a USB2 on the PC when you got as far as step 5? And how is that USB stick formatted, FAT32 or...?

When you say you tried to update "manually" does that mean from inside Windows or after booting from a bootable USB stick with the BIOS .exe on it?

From inside windows, download a fresh copy of the update onto your desktop. Then close all open windows, close all open apps, and temporarily disable your antiviral suite (eg Windows Defender or McAfee, etc). Now right-click the BIOS .exe file on your desktop and "Run as administrator".

Does it work now? And make sure your antiviral app gets re-enabled after the PC reboots.

EDIT: If you're using IE11, please try using Firefox or Chrome with this forum because the platform software doesn't format posts made with IE11 into paragraphs which make it easier to read your posts. - Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 6th, 2019 17:00

Does anyone know to which fan they are referring?

Dell XPS 8930 System BIOS

This package contains the Dell system BIOS update. BIOS is a firmware that is embedded on a small memory chip on the system board. It controls the keyboard, monitor, disk drives, and other devices.
Fixes & Enhancements
- Updated the thermal table to enhance the performance of the fan.
Version
Version 1.1.8, 1.1.8

5 Posts

August 8th, 2019 13:00

Hi Ron,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  In answer to your questions:

1.  My USB Flash drive is connected to a USB 3.1 Gen1 slot.

2.  By "Update Manually " I mean that I download the BIOS update file from Dell and then execute it per Dell's instructions.

3.  I downloaded a "fresh" BIOS update file XPS8930_1.1.8 from Dell.  I closed all applications and disabled McAfee antiviral suite. 

4. I right-clicked on the desktop update file and ran it as Administrator.

5.  As in the past, nothing happened except that a system file "amifldrv64.sys" appeared on my desktop. 

6.  I checked that my computer is still using BIOS version 1.1.4.

Does the BIOS update file need access to the "amifldrv64.sys" driver to run?  If so, how do I install this driver.  When I search for this driver on the Dell Support site, nothing comes up.  It's like it doesn't exist, and yet it always appears (uninstalled) when I execute the update file. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 8th, 2019 14:00

Was the USB stick bootable?

Did you try connecting the USB stick to a USB2 slot, either when you booted from USB to run it or when you used the BIOS update option on the F12 menu?

In the past, some BIOS updates (different PC models) have put that same .sys file on the desktop instead of in the correct folder. Not sure why that happens. Search your hard drive for files with that name. If you find the file somewhere other than the new one on the desktop, rename it to amifldrv64.old. Now copy the new version from your desktop into that same folder. Try running the update using your steps #3-4.

If that doesn't work now, don't try again because you might brick the motherboard. In meanwhile, I'll ping my Dell tech contact...

2.5K Posts

August 11th, 2019 11:00

the dell page shows how to update bios with no windows , eg: LINUX

no safer way exist.  this is F12 way, and is super super super safe way.

if you brick  the PC mucking up BIOS< you will not be happy

also the most newest version of BIOS block regression, (noodle that a bit, hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm)

UEFI dirty tricks that.... but is the FUTURE  and will brick more PCs.

google, "BIOS update bricked my PC", for sure read the 10 ways to do that.  top of google list, read that first.

then brick  it.

5 Posts

1. You asked "Was USB stick bootable?" I followed Dell's instructions for "How to Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive using Dell Diagnostic Deployment Package (DDDP)"

2. You asked me to put the USB flash drive in a USB2 slot. I did and got the same results as before.

3. I searched my C:\ drive for the "amifldrv64.sys" driver file and it was found in 9 locations (including on my desktop).

4. 7 of the locations were in a subfolder of path "C:\ProgramData\SupportAssist\Client\Agent\Downloads\" .  Each subfolder was created on a different date, presumably each time I tried to update BIOS using SupportAssist.  Each subfolder contained the "amifldrv64.sys" file and the BIOS update file. The earliest subfolder was dated 5/9/2019.

5. Interestingly, the second subfolder was dated 5/11/2019, which is the date I responded to a message from Dell to use SupportAssist to update my BIOS from v1.1.3 (the version which came with the computer).  When I went to their website and ran SupportAssist it successfully updated my BIOS to v1.1.4 which is the version I still have. None of my subsequent attempts to update beyond v1.1.4 using SupportAssist have succeeded.

6. I am at a loss now what to try next.  I am reviewing my setup of my USB flash drive, and am also going to try setting up a bootable CD.

2.5K Posts

why not do it the safe way (2017 PC oldest one made)

power on

hammmer F12,  see black menu., sure 2017 DELL has this all mine do,back to 2010.

then see update BIOS in said menu (no other safer way exists on earth period)

and have the exe file you downloaded on fat32 USB stick.  which slot is best IDK.  USB 2 is best if known.

RTM to learn which slot is which OK.

then that will work

of no F12 choices older PC. (no waY, sure its THERE BUT IF NOT)

USE ONLY Freedos stick boot, never burn FIRWMARE , using windows ever.

also is really savvy use a UPS. here in the deep south here, we get power hits all the time with AC running,

city wide,,  so learn to expect power hits, and WIN ! (own a UPS)

5 Posts

August 12th, 2019 08:00

Thank you for putting me in contact with DCFAdmin.  His message to disable Virtualization in the F2 BIOS menu worked.  I am now updated to BIOS v1.1.8.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 12th, 2019 10:00

@PWC518- Glad the problem is fixed!

If that .sys file is still on your desktop, you can probably right-click it and open Properties to mark it "hidden". That way you just won't see it...

And please mark this thread "Answered" because you probably won't be the only one who has this problem...

EDIT: BTW - How's PC performance with this new version of BIOS? There's another thread saying that performance is suffering badly after updating an XPS 8930 to this version...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 13th, 2019 10:00

Glad the new version of BIOS is working well on your XPS 8930.

Post back if anything changes - but hopefully not!

34 Posts

August 14th, 2019 15:00

My 8930 experienced no performance degradation of any kind after updating the bios to 1.1.8. from 1.1.6.  Totally transparent from my perspective with respect to performance. 

The newer bios version did modify the CPU fan curve to a more aggressive behavior.  When CPU is stressed, the fan now spins to 3000 - 3200 rpm vs 2600 - 2800 rpm.  I use the 'K' model of cooler and have clocked the CPU to 3900 max.

The case fan performance appears to have remained the same with both versions of bios.

I utilize F12, USB, outside of windows, with UPS backup for bios updates.

As always, YMMV.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 14th, 2019 16:00

srf52

The newer bios version did modify the CPU fan curve to a more aggressive behavior.  When CPU is stressed, the fan now spins to 3000 - 3200 rpm vs 2600 - 2800 rpm.  I use the 'K' model of cooler and have clocked the CPU to 3900 max.

Have you made any mods to your system, like better quality case fan(s). Is your top exhaust fan 92 mm or 120 mm?

Pictures?

34 Posts

August 14th, 2019 21:00

...just the usual: replaced the 92mm exhaust fan with a 120mm Dell fan powered via the case fan header, replaced the OEM 8700 cooler with the Dell 'K' cooler and added Noctua 92mm (top) and 120mm (bottom) as intake fans.

Works very well for me and thank you for asking...

798 Posts

August 18th, 2019 07:00

Reply to @srf52 

The case fan performance appears to have remained the same with both versions of bios

-------------

Thanks for this info

No Events found!