Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

20 Posts

November 10th, 2019 13:00

XPS 8930, parts swap into Inspiron 5675 case?

I am considering swapping all of the parts of my XPS 8930 into a larger mid-tower case - the Inspiron 5675.   Both take the same size motherboard, PSU, and etc.  Would this be easy to do?   Any issues I need to be aware of?

I would add more case fans and a larger CPU heat sink / cooler.

My current system has an i7-9700K and an Arctic Freezer 11 with top and front bottom 120mm fans.

* would the rear input/output panel fit in this case

* would the USB and C  ports on the front work when connected properly

Thank you

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 10th, 2019 19:00

@larryl4   I would add more case fans and a larger CPU heat sink / cooler.

If your issue is a heat problem, have you considered liquid cooling your XPS 8930?

20 Posts

November 11th, 2019 05:00

Can someone please answer my question as to whether I can make an easy switch into that particular case?  

2.5K Posts

November 11th, 2019 07:00

I have no idea at all what case you have? (new) make model and SKU or links to it not shown.

and what you plan to move, from A to B,   not at all.?

a case is  box, of steel or aluminum or just plastic, or a mix, it's just a box. (it has no brains in and of itself)

if the mobo is ATX it's easy or  BTX its super hard.(or worse) lots there are micro ATX and more...

the MOBO you have is not some top maker that sells MOBO, DYI, like wonderful Asus.com or MSI, etc.

it's OEM, and is only for DELL PCs, no others.  ok? (it works as dell team,  all parts play as one)

the problems have been answered here vast times,.

here is summary. (pit falls besides wont FIT !)

• the F1 errors.,
  • missing fan, wrong fan, fan you used runs wrong RPM for DELLS PWM signals,  yeah wrong fan.
  • missing front panel I/O
  • missing power cable / button.
  • missing thermal sensors 1 or 2, or both. (not saying yours has it but is dell common)
  • No boot device. or letting PXE run.
  • Missing USB ports.
  • and the like, and depends 100% what you moved and did not. 100%

im sure i missed other errors, but are in the manual for sure. RTM?

power the MOBO on , on a bench, and see all those errors.  do that first to learn whats going to happen done wrong.

NO CASE STATED AT ALL.  (Not even a link to it, of 10,000 cases made for 20 years)

20 Posts

November 13th, 2019 06:00

XPS 8930.  i7-9700K, 32GB.  RTX 1070 Super double fan.

Upgraded :  650W PSU, Arctic Freezer 11LP CPU Cooler, Upper case fan and Lower Front case fans to 120MM  Noctua NF-12 PWM

Want to move everything currently in the XPS into a larger case where the PSU is not in the way of a larger CPU (fan based) cooler.  ALL parts will move. 

I have read some of the issues on this board.  Seems like the power switch and the USB port connections are the main issues.

Will connect as many USB ports to the new case as are available.  NOT use the audio or SSD connections.   Will still need the wired network connection (how do I connect that?) and probably will buy a PCIe multiple USB card for the back of the computer.

Will all of this work?

• 

25.1K Posts

November 17th, 2019 10:00

Hello,

I see you've opened a thread. In order for Dell to review your system configuration, may I have the XPS 8930 Service Tag / Express Service Code/ Order Number via private/direct message? Refer the link to find the Service Tag.

No Events found!