Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 15th, 2020 10:00

XPS 8930, Dell updates bricked it

After reviewing several posts

- @Phil W XPS XPS 8910, update bricked my PC

- @Hammelmnan XPS 8930, dead motherboard

and also speaking to the person I am trying to help, I have come to the conclusion that Dell Updates has bricked my PC.  There is nothing wrong with the HDMI Cable.  The user of this PC simply mentioned she was receiving a dell update right before this happened.  Now, the PC turns on with a blinking YELLOW LED indicator, but there is NO VIDEO SIGNAL.  I am unable to access the BIOS.

As some have suggested, I have removed the electrical cables as well as the CMOS battery in order to fully power down the machine and clear the CMOS while pressing the power button.  Upon starting the machine, for a brief moment I see a SOLID WHITE LED indicator before I come across the same problem again:  a blinking yellow indicator with no video signal.

I have also tried accessing BIOS RESTORE/REFLASH functionality by pressing CTLR+ESC on the keyboard.  This approach did not accomplish anything.

Please advise!

Have I tried everything there is to try?

Do you think it can be any other type of problem?

Have you noticed the same thing?

How to repair?

THANK YOU!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 2nd, 2020 19:00

Sorry that didn't work...

Since you're out of warranty, you might want to:

1. Contact Dell Out Of Warranty Repair Service for a repair estimate

2. Get a cost estimate for a Dell warranty extension

3. Get cost for replacement motherboard from Dell Spare Parts (1-800-357-3355), or elsewhere, assuming this is something you can do yourself.

Compare the costs and benefits of the 3 options. Then decide which suits your needs and budget...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 15th, 2020 11:00

Always include the version of Windows in your posts. Mentioning issues with other PC models isn't helpful...

Boot the PC and count the amber power button blinks and then look up the error code here. Make sure you know which PC this is because the codes may vary depending on when it was manufactured. And codes may come in groups separated by very short pauses like 2,1 and then repeating 2,1.

Does it have an add-in video card or only onboard Intel Graphics?

Can you test this monitor on a different PC or a different monitor on this PC?

9 Posts

May 21st, 2020 22:00

Yes, the PC does have integrated and expansion card graphics.

9 Posts

May 21st, 2020 22:00

Hi, this issue is preventing me from getting into Windows (Should be Windows 10).

With regards to the blinking lights, it is a 3-6 "NO POST" code.

The PC in question has both on-board plus additional expansion card graphics.

Yes, the PC had been tested on other monitors.

Yes, the PC had been tested with both the onboard and expansion card graphics, additional cables.

No, the problem has not yet been solved.

Here is some additional info:

I have tried this: https://www.dell.com/support/article/fr-fr/sln309785/bios-recovery-steps-for-a-no-post-issue-on-alienware-aurora-r5-r6-r7-r8-and-xps-8910-8920-8930-pcs?lang=en. This article seems to describe the issue I am having very well.  I am stuck on step 9: I am still unable to get to the BIOS RECOVERY page.  (I have NO VIDEO and I do NOT see a DELL BOOT LOGO).

Please advise,

THANK YOU!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 10:00

@ldman    I have also tried accessing BIOS RESTORE/REFLASH functionality by pressing CTLR+ESC on the keyboard.  This approach did not accomplish anything.

Are you using a 'wired' keyboard?

. . . and a FAT32 formatted USB?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 12:00

@ldman  - If PC is under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support asap. Have Service Tag handy...

And read this about Dell's warranty coverage after a failed BIOS update.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 13:00

@ldman    Did you make your partition "Bootable"?

I used a FAT32 formatted flash drive and Macrium Reflect to create 'bootable Rescue media'. I did this when moving my M.2 SSD from the mobo to a PCIe slot using an adapter . . . I was not 'BIOS Bricked'.

9 Posts

Ron,

Thank you for the advice.  No, the desktop is no longer under warranty.  But I think you should look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyUyNdE2Rdc

What this guy is saying sums up the problem I am having and how I feel about it.

I strongly believe that Dell is responsible for the updates they put out there. policy. DELL-Admin>

In other words, if they cause damage, then they should be responsible to fix the damage regardless of warranty.  policy. DELL-Admin>

Warranty is about consumer related damage and wear and tear. Since when does it cover buggy updates?

Have you any idea the number of tickets out there claiming that Dell bricked their system?

9 Posts

Yes, the keyboard is wired.

Yes, the partition is fat32 formatted.

Did you make your partition "Bootable"?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 17:00

@ldman  - I don't work for Dell and I do feel your pain...

Did you follow the instructions to create the BIOS Recovery USB stick and rename the file according to the instructions under: How do I create an external USB key to perform BIOS Recovery on my Dell computer or tablet? and then go here for instructions to do the actual recovery?

If that doesn't work, try clearing BIOS:

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall the battery (Is time for fresh CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery? ~$2)
  6. Close up and connect only mouse, monitor and keyboard
  7. Reboot

If it doesn't boot after clearing BIOS, try doing the BIOS Recovery, as above, again...

How long has PC been out of warranty? If out less than maybe ~6 months, you might contact Dell Tech Support and see if they'll be of any help. If the first person you talk with isn't helpful, politely ask to speak to someone higher up...

Beyond all that, you can contact Dell's Out Of Warranty Repair Service to discuss your options and potential repair costs...

And FWIW, next time there's a BIOS update, don't let SupportAssist or Dell Update, etc manage the update for you, and maybe don't even do it manually by yourself from inside Windows.

Download the BIOS exe file onto an empty USB stick. Connect the stick to PC while powered off. Then boot and tap F12 when you see the F2/F12 prompt in lower right corner of the "splash" screen. And when the F12 menu opens, look for the BIOS update option. Note: Use a USB stick that's not bootable and only has the BIOS .exe file on it and no other files.

EDIT: If you do the BIOS update from the F12 menu using a USB stick as I described above, be patient!  After the update is completed, the PC will start to reboot and then completely turn itself off. Do NOT do anything after it shuts off. Don't press any buttons. Just leave it alone and it should automatically reboot itself to the desktop after ~10 +/- sec or so. It may feel like waiting "forever" but it should boot and be okay. Done 3 BIOS updates this way on my XPS 8930 and so far, so good, knock wood...! But as always, YRMV...

9 Posts

May 23rd, 2020 10:00

@RoHe 

In response to your previous post:

>Then boot and tap F12 when you see the F2/F12 prompt in lower right corner of the "splash" screen. And when the F12 menu opens, look for the BIOS update option. 

The machine does not deliver a video signal to the monitor so there is no "Splash Screen" visible.

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 23rd, 2020 16:00

@ldman  - You misunderstood what I said...

When you have a working motherboard again and want to do a BIOS update, I told you to look for the F12 option on the splash screen.  Obviously, the existing motherboard isn't working so you don't get a video signal.

Did you try clearing BIOS by removing the motherboard battery?

9 Posts

May 29th, 2020 15:00

I have tried clearing power by removing battery, along with power cable while pressing the power button.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 30th, 2020 12:00

@ldman  - And you still can't get the BIOS Recovery from USB on XPS 8930 to work?

9 Posts

June 2nd, 2020 15:00

Still not working.

No Events found!