Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

W3

4 Posts

April 30th, 2020 08:00

XPS 8930, Fan Noise LOUD!

Hello,

I just bought an XPS 8930 and the fans are almost constantly running. On top of that, the fans are LOUD and can be heard over 20 feet away. Also, the PC runs the fans up to full speed even when the screen is dimmed because I haven't taken any action for 5+ minutes.

I've upgraded the BIOS to v1.1.13 and all the drivers that Microsoft and Dell recommended but that didn't help in any way.

I'm running the PC in about a 70 degree (F) environment, so not even close to hot.

Anyone have any idea as to how to fix this problem? I'm extremely sad that if this fan noise issue can't be resolved, the PC will have to be sent back to Dell.

April 30th, 2020 09:00

I didn't know that. It's a screen grab of SYSINFO

Sysinfo.jpg

• 

16.6K Posts

Waterboy-32,

Click here for more information troubleshooting noise issues.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@Waterboy-32   Anyone have any idea as to how to fix this problem? 

What components do you have in your computer; CPU, graphics card, PSU wattage?

That will help determine what steps to take to quiet and cool.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@Waterboy-32 

Only you can see your photos until they have been moderator approved.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 30th, 2020 15:00

@Waterboy-32 

OK, can see the photo now, but the only thing of relevance is the CPU = i9-9900 (nice).

What graphics card do you have, and what PSU wattage?

Post some photos of the inside so the we can see your top exhaust fan and your CPU cooler.

258 Posts

April 30th, 2020 16:00

@Waterboy-32 

Congrats on your hot and noisy Dell XPS 8930.  Fortunately, you did not order the K-version CPU.

Here's what I did with mine to tame it:  https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-how-is-the-cooling-in-the-i9-9900/m-p/7508730/highlight/true#M46666

If you don't like the noise and don't want to take on improving its cooling, you should return it to Dell, imo.

GK

April 30th, 2020 16:00

I can't remember exactly which AMD video card I have, and I have no idea on wattage.

It was suggested that I go into Power Options and lower the Max and Min Processor Power Management settings. I did that and set them at 98% min, and 99% max.
The fans have yet to spin up to full even once since I did that, with several hours of use past that time in the same room which is now about 72 F. No more noise!!

It appears that this problems is solved!!!!!!!!

258 Posts

April 30th, 2020 17:00

It was suggested that I go into Power Options and lower the Max and Min Processor Power Management settings. I did that and set them at 98% min, and 99% max.
The fans have yet to spin up to full even once since I did that, with several hours of use past that time in the same room which is now about 72 F. No more noise!!

It appears that this problems is solved!!!!!!!!

I'm must be dumb... I don't understand this.  

GK

16 Posts

May 14th, 2020 01:00

I also have same problem. My Dell Desktop XPS 8930 fan's runs according to CPU usage not temperature. If I open a problem you know that CPU usage can high %100 for 3-4 or If I search anyhing in pc CPU usage get higher. After that my fan runs %100 speed. How can I fix this problem? I suppose that normally fans runs if CPU temperature get highter than a threshold, am I wrong?

I couldn't find any tool to control fan speed. Is there anybody know a fan speed control tool?

Thank you in advance.

258 Posts

May 14th, 2020 06:00

@mermuz 

When the CPU works, it gets hotter and then the fan speed increases to cool it down and it gets noisier.  More and quieter case fans can help to balance heating and cooling for an average amount of CPU work, but can not improve extreme conditions like all out gaming.

If you are knowledgeable enough to assess your system conditions and skilled enough to fix the fans, a solution like this might help:  https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-how-is-the-cooling-in-the-i9-9900/m-p/7508730/highlight/true#M46666

Otherwise, if you can't live with it, return it to Dell and get your money back.

GK

16 Posts

May 14th, 2020 08:00

I cannot change my pc parts because it is my work-pc given my company.

I think that I should get used to this noise.

Thanks anyway.

16 Posts

May 14th, 2020 08:00

I found that after I my CPU usage increate temperatures are also increase immediately. I installed a stres tool. After I started in for cpu stressing my CPU temperature immediately incease from 40 celcius to 90 celcius. After I stopped the program tempratures descreate to 40 again. I think that problem is in temperature measuring sensor. Which part of pc mease of the CPU temperature?

258 Posts

May 14th, 2020 11:00

@mermuz 

I found that after I my CPU usage increate temperatures are also increase immediately. I installed a stres tool. After I started in for cpu stressing my CPU temperature immediately incease from 40 celcius to 90 celcius. After I stopped the program tempratures descreate to 40 again. I think that problem is in temperature measuring sensor. Which part of pc mease of the CPU temperature?

Right... when the CPU does more work in time, it heats up... when it does less work in time, it cools down.  This is normal.

The CPU reports its core temperatures to the system BIOS.  The BIOS then increases fan speed to cool the system.  The CPU is the temperature measuring sensor.  And it's working as designed.

The problem is the small case with poor air flow and insufficient fans.

GK

16 Posts

May 14th, 2020 17:00

I don't think that problem is in small case because there is no problem in GPU fan.

For example after I run pc firstly in that day, if I open a program cpu usage get higher and fan runs maximum speed. I think that fan only must run if CPU temperature is higher than a threshold. I do not play game or big tools but my fans run every activity like windows searching, coding in an IDE. You can see this video my cpu cpu tempera get higher in 1 seconds, I used a stres to test but it is same for opening chrome first time or windows rutin updates etc,

Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XLLTEpQT9l-O9CCQiJn8DkX10ugKmlqI/view?usp=drivesdk

No Events found!