XPS Desktops

Last reply by 01-14-2021 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 8930, Fan Noise LOUD!

Hello,

I just bought an XPS 8930 and the fans are almost constantly running. On top of that, the fans are LOUD and can be heard over 20 feet away. Also, the PC runs the fans up to full speed even when the screen is dimmed because I haven't taken any action for 5+ minutes.

I've upgraded the BIOS to v1.1.13 and all the drivers that Microsoft and Dell recommended but that didn't help in any way.

I'm running the PC in about a 70 degree (F) environment, so not even close to hot.

Anyone have any idea as to how to fix this problem? I'm extremely sad that if this fan noise issue can't be resolved, the PC will have to be sent back to Dell.

Replies (17)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Waterboy-32   Anyone have any idea as to how to fix this problem? 

What components do you have in your computer; CPU, graphics card, PSU wattage?

That will help determine what steps to take to quiet and cool.

Sysinfo.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Waterboy-32 

Only you can see your photos until they have been moderator approved.

I didn't know that. It's a screen grab of SYSINFO

Waterboy-32,

Click here for more information troubleshooting noise issues.

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.
Find your Service Tag

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Waterboy-32 

OK, can see the photo now, but the only thing of relevance is the CPU = i9-9900 (nice).

What graphics card do you have, and what PSU wattage?

Post some photos of the inside so the we can see your top exhaust fan and your CPU cooler.

3 Argentum

@Waterboy-32 

Congrats on your hot and noisy Dell XPS 8930.  Fortunately, you did not order the K-version CPU.

Here's what I did with mine to tame it:  https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-how-is-the-cooling-in-the-i9-9900/m-p/7508730/h...

If you don't like the noise and don't want to take on improving its cooling, you should return it to Dell, imo.

GK

I can't remember exactly which AMD video card I have, and I have no idea on wattage.

It was suggested that I go into Power Options and lower the Max and Min Processor Power Management settings. I did that and set them at 98% min, and 99% max.
The fans have yet to spin up to full even once since I did that, with several hours of use past that time in the same room which is now about 72 F. No more noise!!

It appears that this problems is solved!!!!!!!!

It was suggested that I go into Power Options and lower the Max and Min Processor Power Management settings. I did that and set them at 98% min, and 99% max.
The fans have yet to spin up to full even once since I did that, with several hours of use past that time in the same room which is now about 72 F. No more noise!!

It appears that this problems is solved!!!!!!!!

I'm must be dumb... I don't understand this.  

GK

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor