Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

July 13th, 2019 06:00

XPS 8930, Front I/O cable failure, BIOS 1.1.6

Recently upgraded to BIOS 1.1.6 - ePSA Build 4306.25 UEFI ROM and immediately following started receiving the following boot failure/notification:

Error Code: 2000-0716
Validation: 110510
Cables - Check the following, () Alert! Front I/O Cable Failure

I have checked cables, they are secure and seated well, and I have tried turning off the support assist messages in BIOS however the message continually comes up requiring user intervention to continue booting.

Unable to downgrade to previous BIOS.

Anyone else have this experience, know workarounds or fixes? Dell, please address this in a fix soon!

Thank you

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 13th, 2019 19:00

Except that other thread is about the XPS 8920.

Haven't seen any other reports like this for this version of BIOS on the XPS 8930.

Try clearing BIOS:

Power off and unplug.

Press/hold power button for ~15 sec.

Open case and remove motherboard battery. (Check Service Manual for details.)

Press/hold power button for ~30 sec.

Reinstall battery.

Connect only mouse, monitor and keyboard and reboot.

3 Posts

July 14th, 2019 08:00

The BIOS is locked from allowing downgrades... while you can download the file, you cannot implement it.

3 Posts

July 14th, 2019 08:00

Clearing the BIOS with your method above fixed it.

Rebooted it several times after this, and worked perfect every time.  Thank you kindly for your hlep!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 14th, 2019 14:00

That was easy!  Glad it worked.

Please mark this thread "Answered".  - Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 29th, 2019 16:00

@RDACx  - Did you try clearing BIOS after moving that cable to the sound card?

Or is there a way for the sound card to direct its output to the front ports without removing that cable from the motherboard...?

1 Message

December 29th, 2019 16:00

I had the same issue but only after installing a SoundBlaster card and moving the front sound jack connector from the motherboard to the SoundBlaster connector.  If I remove the connector from the SoundBlaster and place it back on the motherboard, the boot warning goes away.  So...Dell does not want me to use one of the most common brands of one of the most common additions to a computer - a sound card - and to be able to enjoy better sound by moving the front jack connector to the sound card.  I wish some techie could figure out how to apply a jumper to the motherboard connector for the front sound jacks so the diagnostics would be fooled into thinking the jack was connected.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 30th, 2019 18:00

@RDACx wrote:

1. I had the same issue but only after installing a SoundBlaster card and moving the front sound jack connector from the motherboard to the SoundBlaster connector. 

2. figure out how to apply a jumper to the motherboard connector for the front sound jacks so the diagnostics would be fooled into thinking the jack was connected.

1. Hasn't been supported for some time. Back when I still used dedicated internal sound-cards ... hardly ever worked on Dells or HPs .

2. So, you are using analog audio . Seems like you would want those cables heavily shielded, short as possible, and outside the machine (away from motherboard's EMI/EMF). Out the back sounds best to me. They make short extension cables and switch-boxes ya know.

Seems most have moved to digital audio (either USB or Thunderbolt). Audio is digital until it hits that external device (that final analog audio path to headphones/speakers is shorter).

5 Posts

July 15th, 2020 12:00

My bios on this new machine is 1.1.13? Have the same error after that was loaded.

5 Posts

July 15th, 2020 16:00

Not sure what the earlier version was because it happened so fast when I received it last week. This is the issue:

From the moment I turned it on it was insanely hot inside(even the drive I added)? The power supply in the middle  on top of the I9 9900k processor was the worst idea? Just baked. So I ordered a Thermaltake v21 and Arctic Freezer 34 duo another 16gig and it is running at 82 idling. If they would of built this properly I would not have had to fix it. But the power wiring is different and that is where this alert is coming from. Incredible you cannot disable it? Is there a BIOS version that is not so overzealous and let the thing boot up normally. Turned off the Support assistant and that did nothing.   

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 15th, 2020 16:00

@morse12  -  What version of BIOS was on this PC before you updated to 1.1.13? 

Have you tried clearing BIOS?

1. Reboot and tap F2 when you see prompt on lower right corner of Dell splash screen to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current BIOS settings, to be safe
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reinstall the battery
  8. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  9. Reboot

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 15th, 2020 19:00

@morse12 -  So maybe one of your mods is causing the problem...

Lots of threads about XPS 8930 vs heat so search this forum for them to see what others have done to reduce the heat without getting error messages.

Keep in mind that Dell uses fans which are typically wired differently than after-market fans to allow BIOS to read/control the speed and that might be your issue here.

5 Posts

July 15th, 2020 20:00

I already said that? The power assembly header is different. But when you only need a momentary push button to start it... c'mon the high tech alerts are not needed and no commonsense. Have been building since the late 70's.  This is now a powerhouse so no big deal and don't benchmark boot up's. Also added an Antec 700 gold supply.  Have had three Dells, 4th generation I7, 7th generation I7 and 10th generation I5. I9 Clearly requires open active proper cooling. It is good to go now  

No Events found!