Dell630i
4 Tellurium

Re: XPS 8930, GPU and CPU Liquid Cooler, PSU, Case Swap, Upgrade

@Codename78 

They are pretty scarce at this particular time.

Aurora R5/6/7 Top Fan Bracket 7M0F5

EDIT: still 2 available @ the above link; he who hesitates is bracketless

Codename78
1 Copper

I just ordered my Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition. It states it will come in with 850W Power Supply (Gold Standard PSU) my question is if i be able to add extra 120mm fans up front and still connect them to this power supply 

0 Kudos
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

@Codename78   my question is if i be able to add extra 120mm fans up front and still connect them to this power supply 

There should be several unused SATA power connectors available. You would need a SATA to two 3-pin fan Y-splitter cable.

SATA Fan Adapter 

Codename78
1 Copper

Thank you so much. Just ordered:

CRJ SATA to 3 x 4-Pin PWM Sleeved Fan Power Adapter Cable

I guess i will have an extra one in case.

0 Kudos
Moab23
2 Iron

@Dell630i 

I've just today received a new RM850x PSU from my XPS 8930 in an attempt to alleviate some sporadic system freezing when gaming (doesn't always happen). I believe the the OEM PSU I have is likely in the 460W range and my components were hitting something around 412W.

However, I have a worry about whether the new PSU will fully rectify the problem if cooling is also an issue. I've been looking at snapping up this:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/arctic-freezer-11-lp-low-profile-cpu-cooler-for-intel-socket-1150-11...

While waiting for my DVD adapter cable to arrive. I don't install this myself rather take it to a nearby shop, so I have limited knowledge on components and fitting. Do you think this would help with cooling? I was a bit confused because seeing the pictures shows a blower fan on the CPU directed upwards, but this replacement fan would blow out into the case?

Apologies, I'm not stellar with this computer stuff.

0 Kudos
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

@Moab23    Do you think this would help with cooling?

It is difficult to say, not knowing what CPU and graphics card you are running. I think the Arctic Freezer is probably better than the OEM fan/heatsink that comes with the 65 watt CPUs. More importantly, you should make sure you have a 120mm top exhaust fan. If you are not sure, post some photos of the inside of you computer, or ask the nearby shop.

0 Kudos
Moab23
2 Iron

@Dell630i 

I've got an:

i7-9700

GTX 2060

16GB Ram

I often run a small desk fan that directs cool air toward the side vents whenever I'm gaming. It sometimes seemed to help, but I dunno if it is the wisest thing to do.

Does the Arctic Freezer fan replace the blower?

There's also a bit of an issue on trying to source an applicable exhaust fan. Most of Amazon UK and the site I linked for the Arctic Freezer tends not to have many Dell/Alienware replacement parts.

Edit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NF-S12A-Premium-Quiet-3-Pin/dp/B00BG20KCY is this what I'd be looking for? There seems to be this one with a three pin and then a four pin one. Would I require a bracket to fit it as well?

Hmm, if the 120mm requires a specific bracket, I'm a bit goosed. I never use eBay. Can these be acquired from Dell?

0 Kudos
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

@Moab23    Does the Arctic Freezer fan replace the blower?

The are both for cooling the CPU. I don't know if it is as good as the blower style fan/heatsink.

. . . is this what I'd be looking for? There seems to be this one with a three pin and then a four pin one.

Yes . . . that 120mm Noctua 3-pin fan will work

Would I require a bracket to fit it as well?

Yes . . . example linked below . . . the silver metal bracket . . . you will probably have to buy the fan with the bracket. Just change it out for the Noctua. Make certain your purchase includes the bracket, and not just the fan.

Aurora R5/6/7 Top Exhaust Fan Bracket 

Highlighted
Moab23
2 Iron

@Dell630i 

Attempted to get this part from Dell first. Told it wouldn't be compatible/they can't sell it to me etc, so no joy there. Before I take a plunge on this one, do you know if there are any more efficient 95mm fans that could replace the exhaust one?

I know the 120mm is recommended, but the cost of just acquiring that metal bracket it is really ramping up my budget on top of everything else 😞

0 Kudos
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

@Moab23    do you know if there are any more efficient 95mm fans that could replace the exhaust one?

Sorry, I don't. I'm not sure why they would not have more of those Aurora brackets available across the pond 🤔

from this comparison; there is 70% additional area with the 120mm fan

IMG_3738.JPG

0 Kudos