GTS81
3 Zinc

Re: Thank you guys, so very, very much for your help! The alt...

You are one of the rare ones who can resist not jinxing a good rig setup. Imagine opening the casing for that one last adjustment before going to sleep only to realize 2 cables aren't lining up nicely and the next thing you know, it's a full blown project to remove the motherboard.

0 Kudos
Dell630i
3 Zinc

@NightsongWS 

We don't even believe you have a computer until you post photos of that beautiful machine.

0 Kudos
HanoverB
3 Cadmium

Reply to @NightsongWS 

But, until then... I must make use of this fantastical beast!

I feel the same way about how this machine performs after the case swap.

The case swap really brought out the true potential of the XPS 8930 components after adding a liquid cooled CPU cooler in a new case with better airflow.  

Case swapping is the way to go if you are pushing this machine. 

By the time you order the parts to quiet the machine to acceptable levels you would have spent at least $80.

1) 120mm top fan bracket from the big auction site: $20
2) R5/R6/R7 front intake fan bracket: $20
3) Two fans for those brackets: 2 x 20: $40

If you add an upper front intake fan to help cool the machine further: $20

So that's approx. $100 to get the machine to a quiet acceptable level and you will still have CPU and GPU temperature issues if you are gaming or rendering video with no opportunity to add liquid cooling for the CPU or GPU without doing some case modding.

Basic cost for the case swap is new case + the USB card + jumper cable.

Cost of the new cases that I tried, each of which includes one or two fans is $60-$100.
Add the cost of the USB 3.0 PCI-e card $20 + Jumper cable $6

With the case swap, you now have to option of adding the 120mm/240mm/280mm radiator cooling options that you need for a high performance machine, have better SSD/HDD placements, the ability to add LED functions, and the option of using more robust non-Dell GPU designs, etc.

Also, in regards to the potential fan/radiator hose issue in your machine, you can always just remove the second upper exhaust fan in the forward position. 

The single upper exhaust fan + the rear exhaust fan is plenty in that case since the airflow through that front mesh is great.  I liked that Phanteks case for the same reason, that there was very little change in temps from restricted airflow through the front bezel.

0 Kudos
KoopaR8
1 Copper

@HanoverB I have an Aurora R8 and I want to swap the case so I can add better cooling.

what's the difference between the fractal meshify C and the MINI?

what case would you recommend?

0 Kudos
HanoverB
3 Cadmium

@KoopaR8 

Just the size of the case.

Bigger case is better for you for more airflow unless you have space constraints.

There is some basic info here on that R8 case swap.

0 Kudos
GameCrusader
1 Copper

Re: XPS 8930, GPU and CPU Liquid Cooler, PSU, Case Swap, Upgrade

Thank you @HanoverB  for this great post!

I recently purchased a new XPS 8930 and I'm disappointed. It feels like a step back in comparison to my older XPS 8700.

I've done some customization to the desktop (based on suggestions I’ve seen around the forums), but there is one thing I need help with.

First off, I added/replaced the following:
Replaced the stock PSU with a Corsair RM750x
Added a EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black (I bought the XPS without a dedicated graphics card).
Replaced the stock hard drive with a Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (Primary)
Added a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD (Secondary)
Replaced the stock Killer Wireless card with an Intel WiFi 6 AX200NGW (the Killer Wireless card actually flat out died about a week into using the PC).
Replaced the stock CPU cooler with the ARCTIC Freezer 11 LP

I realize I could have just built something myself at this point, but I got a screaming deal on the XPS and a few of the parts so the investment was relatively low.

Even with these improvements the system still seems to windup a lot, so I’ve take additional steps.

I recently purchased a front fan, specifically the Dell 7M0F5 Alienware Aurora R5 Front Case Fan w Plastic Bracket from the big auction site (I guess you’re not allowed to say their name here?).

I wanted to also replace my top fan as it looks to be a 92mm, not the 120mm. I looked at the big auction site and found a Dell XPS 8910 8920 Alienware Aurora R5 Top Cooling Case Fan 7M0F5 X64T5, but I am unclear if it is 120mm. I emailed the seller but no reply. Anyone have any insight into that?

This might not be Dell's finest XPS desktop but thanks the great community here, for all your awesome suggestions, it will be better then it was!

0 Kudos
HanoverB
3 Cadmium

@GameCrusader 

Glad you found this thread useful.  Lot of solid contributions from the community found here.

You're on the right track.  Nice GPU and PSU updates.   Solid SSD choices, that machine is really quick the way you have it set up.

Both of those fan brackets with fans are the right parts.  Top and front intake.

Once you get the brackets you will likely swap those OEM fans for less noisy ones if you are putting any kind of load on your machine.   There is more info on the case fan upgrade post on the first page of this thread with some great pics from @Dell630i.  

Assuming that you have a I7 CPU, that Arctic CPU Cooler will be quieter than the stock cooler but will be ineffective temperature wise if you put a load on the CPU.    Try it for a while, see if temps are okay for what your primary tasks are.

Also nice to know there is a inexpensive replacement available for the wireless card on the motherboard should it ever go bad.  Thanks for that Intel model number.  Assuming that W10 found a driver for it and it works fine in your system?

0 Kudos
GameCrusader
1 Copper

Thanks @HanoverB 

I'm hoping the additional front case fan and replacing the top 92mm fan with the 120mm fan will keep the computer from sounding like a jet engine! I will report back once I have it all complete. 

Yup, Windows 10 will find that WiFi/Bluetooth card no problem. If not, you can always grab the OEM from Intel's site. 

Thanks again for your great info!

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Dell630i
3 Zinc

@GameCrusader   I'm hoping the additional front case fan and replacing the top 92mm fan with the 120mm fan will keep the computer from sounding like a jet engine! I 

Absolutely should make a big difference. Below is a comparison of 92mm and 120mm fans, and a photo of the top exhaust fan bracket you need.

120mm is 70% additional area compared to 92mm. As @HanoverB mentioned, consider upgrading the Dell OEM industrial grade server fans to something more quiet.

IMG_3738.JPG

0 Kudos
GameCrusader
1 Copper

Yes, I'll do that next! Thank you!

0 Kudos