Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

8 Posts

October 2nd, 2019 12:00

XPS 8930, Hard Drive Rails

Hi,

I recently purchased an XPS 8930. It has 2 open bays for extra hard drives to be installed, which I had planned on doing. Previous Dells I've purchased came with hard drive rails (I believe that's the right term, referencing the plastic slide that the hard drive goes into, which then altogether slides nicely into the bay and snaps closed). However, this one surprisingly did not. It's just two open, steel bays. I assume it's not ok to just place a hard drive in there (I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff) and that it should be encased in these plastic rails. I contacted Dell customer support multiple times on this, but as most of you probably know, I could've better used my time jamming a pen in my eye. My goodness is Dell support an overall disaster. Needless to say, they were of no help. So I'm to the point where I don't care about having to purchase them even if they were supposed to be included, which I assume is the case. Where can I find the specific hard drive rails that would fit a hard drive bay in an XPS 8930?

Thanks in advance for your help.

34 Posts

October 2nd, 2019 13:00

...actually, the plastic drive caddy is not required, or needed to mount additional hard drives in the 8930.  The drive bays are secured with two fasteners each and when removed, a hard drive can be inserted and secured with additional fasteners on the sides of the drive bay (four total per bay).  3.5 inch drives fit easily, but smaller 2.5 inch drives, including a solid state drive, will require an adapter to fit properly.  Aapters can be found on Amazon, as can an assortment of fasterers for computers.

This forum is a trove of information regarding anything and everything involving the 8930. Especially worth investigating, IMHO, is info regarding installing a M.2 NVme SSD for a VERY fast C: drive.  I like the 1TB size.  Fan noise, heat, etc, if annoying, is easily cured and again that info is available herein.

Enjoy the 8930, it's a hotrod of a computer. As always, YMMV.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2019 13:00

The XPS 8930 does not use or require hard drive rails. The hard drive mounts directly to the hard-drive cage using #6-32x1/4" screws (4). See the Service Manual at dell.com/support.

October 2nd, 2019 18:00

Thank you very much.  I'm happy to hear it's something simple.

October 2nd, 2019 18:00

I appreciate the thorough response.  Thank you.  I will be attempting to mount my hard drive per your instructions.  I will also reference the manual.

Regarding a SSD, I do have one (512GB) as my boot disk.  I have one additional, typical hard drive in there, but would like to add more storage.  Hence my question about the bay, as I thought I needed a hard drive rail.

In buying this computer, which functioned off an SSD, I had hoped for a silent unit.  Akin to my apple laptop, which is considered solid state.  However, unfortunately, this PC is VERY loud with fans working at seemingly full speed upon startup and onward (doesn't require the computer to be working hard for the fans to come blasting on). I realize none of this fan noise is coming from the hard drive, rather the 'main computer' fan, but nonetheless very disappointed in that aspect of this hotrod.

Thanks again. 

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2019 03:00

@MissleFaceOne more thing I should have mentioned. You should get a right-angled SATA cable for your hard drive. The side panel may not close completely if you use a cable with a straight connector. Look at the cable that you currently have connected to the hard drive that came with your computer.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 3rd, 2019 09:00

https://www.amazon.com/SDTC-Tech-Splitter-90-Degree-Extension/dp/B07NYZZDZR/

Extenders with right angle cables are not expensive.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2019 10:00

I should have said the SATA data cable should have a right-angle connector. There should be spare SATA power connectors available that already have right-angled connectors.

1 Message

August 3rd, 2020 16:00

The same is true for the new XPS 8940.  Four empty bays (two 2.5 and two 3.5 bays).  The $2700 computer comes with one ONE 2.5 plastic rail.  The rails seem to be specific to the chassis, so good luck finding one even on the Dell site.

Dell touts this new chassis as tool-less...unless you need to install a 3.5" drive.  Then you'll need a Phillips screwdriver and a diagram (on a sticker on the lid) to know how to remove the steel cage properly.

Also, the 8940 only has three available data cables (two near the 2.5 bays and one near the 3.5).  So much for loading it up with four drives.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 4th, 2020 14:00

The XPS 8930 does not use or require hard drive rails. The hard drive mounts directly to the hard-drive cage using #6-32x1/4" screws (4). See the Service Manual at dell.com/support.

Mine does have a M.2 plus a 1 TB with the plastic rails.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 6th, 2020 13:00

HA HA Mine is a 8930. I misread sorry.

4 Posts

August 26th, 2020 14:00

According to the XPS 8940 service manual, the computer comes with two 2.5" drive cages.

In a discussion with Technical Support, I have been advised that the computer no longer comes withe the 2.5" drive cages.

Tech Support advised that the part number for the blue plastic 2.5" drive cage is: "YHNFX". 

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

August 26th, 2020 16:00

Do you mean blue plastic hard drive carrier not "blue plastic 2.5" drive cage"?

4 Posts

August 26th, 2020 18:00

I do mean the blue plastic hard drive carrier.

I received two new XPS 8940 systems last week that did not include any of the blue plastic hard drive carrier. As a result, it is difficult to mount 2.5” SSDs in these systems.

Tech support provided the part number for the carrier above. Unfortunately that part number is incorrect.

Has anyone had success with convincing Dell to supply missing drive carriers, or found a source from which I can order the carriers?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 27th, 2020 10:00

I have not had success with convincing Dell to supply anything.

5 Posts

September 15th, 2020 15:00

Did anyone ever come up with a correct part number for the 8940 2.5 drive trays?

So far we've got YHNFX (which was said to be incorrect above but most closely resembles the picture in the service manual)

65KHD

X9FV3

My 8940 should arrive soon, when it does I'll pop out the single tray it ships with and get the number straight from that.

No Events found!