Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

2 Posts

April 25th, 2018 20:00

XPS 8930, Issue with USB Type-A Ports on Front I/O Panel

I bought an XPS 8930 from Dell around two months ago.  Recently, I was plugging in a USB cable to one of the three USB Type-A ports on the front panel.  It was tough to plug in, so I tried the one next to it.  It was also tough.  I tried the last of the three and the same thing.  Finally, I shined my flashlight into the ports and found that all of them had been irreparably damaged.  The pins were pushed toward the the bottom of the socket.  I plugged the same USB cable into multiple other USB ports on another PC with no issues.  I went ahead and ordered a new front panel I/O module from Dell and installed it anout a week later.  Today, I tried to plug in a Bluetooth USB dongle and met that same resistance.  I tried another port and same thing.  I stopped trying before getting to the third port, as I remembered what had happened before.  Shined a flashlight into them and noted the pins were again showing signs of bending.  One of the damaged ports is still usable, but the other has one pin pushed down pretty far.  I have not tried to see if they are salvageable yet.  Again, I was able to plug this device, the Bluetooth USB dongle, into multiple USB ports on another PC with no issues.  I've NEVER had a similar sequence of issues on ANY other USB device in my life.  I'm thinking that there MUST be a defect with the manufacturing of these ports.  Perhaps the tolerances are too tight.  I've already spent an extra $50 on this PC fixing it from the first mishap, and I'm not looking forward to spending ANOTHER $50 fixing it again.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 25th, 2018 21:00

Well, hopefully someone will answer.

While not likely, I suppose anything (like a bad batch) is possible. But please ... next time slowly test the part with a name-brand USB cable or flash drive (first, before you install it). It's hard to believe you damaged another set after spending all that time and money fixing it.

I've never heard of this happening. The USB plug or flash drive is just 4-large non-movable metal contacts on plastic ... usually with a metal guide around the whole thing. The socket has the pins. Not only do they flex, but only the curved middle part of the pin ever comes in contact with anything. Supposedly, they could be pushed all the way down into their individual crevices and not only still work, but not be damaged either.

The sockets on my new Aurora-R6 * ARE * pretty tight but I just plug my USB-Headphones into one of them and leave them for months at a time. Even when it takes some force, nothing is damaged. I don't really use the others. I got the impression that it has maybe the part that goes inside the metal shield that was making it tight .... it was a fraction of a mm to big.  I'll take a closer look later tonight (I'll stick a perfect Micron flash drive into all of them).

If this was a new machine, why was this not handled as a warranty repair?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 25th, 2018 23:00

OK, I checked/tested the 4 front/top USB ports on my Aurora-R6 with a Lexar flash-drive.

Yes, they work fine. They are initially tight, but then loose after it gets past a certain point and they finally snap-into-place.

There are 2 "pressure clips" on the top and 2 on the bottom that I think are there to help them "snap into place" (and even keeps them held in place). Actually, seems a bit excessive. Anyway, that is what appears to be causing the resistance. They look similar to the 4 real-pins but they are non-electrical. Also, as you use the sockets they loosen up some.

2 Posts

August 12th, 2018 15:00

3:33:50 PM     Customer   Steve 
Initial Question/Comment: Middle and Left Front USB ports not working. Middle appears to be damaged, two pins bent an pushed to rear of the port. I have not had any problem with USB ports in the past.Appears to be similar problem to: {this page{
 3:33:55 PM     System   System 
You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
 3:33:55 PM     System   System 
Connected with Marie_Estremos
 3:34:15 PM     Agent   Marie_Estremos 
Thank you for contacting Dell Workstation Basic Hardware Warranty Support. My name is Grace. I'll be glad to assist you with that.

Before we start, I would like to get some information to update your records. Can we use the EMAIL address: or CALL you using the phone # if follow up is needed?
 3:34:28 PM     Customer   Steve 
yes
 3:34:45 PM     Agent   Marie_Estremos 
Can you confirm if the machine you need assistance with is XPS 8930 with Service Tag: ?
 3:34:55 PM     Customer   Steve 
yes
 3:35:20 PM     Agent   Marie_Estremos 
Thank you for the confirmation.
 3:35:50 PM     Agent   Marie_Estremos 
Steve, I understand that the middle and left front USB Ports are damaged.
 3:35:57 PM     Customer   Steve 
yes
 3:36:09 PM     Agent   Marie_Estremos 
Unfortunately, your computer does not have Complete Care Warranty to cover issues with physical damage
 3:36:19 PM     Customer   Steve 
it is defective
 3:36:46 PM     Customer   Steve 
others have complained of same issue and the devices I used have worked on other machines and other ports just fine
 3:37:23 PM     Agent   Marie_Estremos 
Any USB device will not because the pins are bent.
 3:37:37 PM     Agent   Marie_Estremos 
This issue falls under Complete Care
 3:37:49 PM     Agent   Marie_Estremos 
but does not falls under normal hardware malfunction
 3:38:25 PM     Agent   Marie_Estremos 
Please call Out of Warranty Support at (800) 288-4410
 3:38:32 PM     Customer   Steve 
so you sold me defective ports but you won't replace them, others have fixed the problem only to have it happen again immediate because the ports are physically defective
 3:38:55 PM     Customer   Steve 
whatever, thanks for nothing
 3:39:15 PM     Agent   Marie_Estremos 
Thank you for choosing Dell. Have a great day!
 3:39:20 PM     System   System 
Marie_Estremos has left this session!
 3:39:20 PM     System   System 
The session has ended!

2 Posts

August 12th, 2018 15:00

Same exact issue.  Middle port has bent contacts and appears to be shorting the right port.  Only the left port works.  Going to Dell support to get this fixed as it is under warranty.

1 Message

August 19th, 2018 11:00

Same problem with my XPS 8930 bought in March or April this year.  Two of the ports have bent contacts.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 19th, 2018 16:00

FWIW, this issue was escalated in April. The platform team said those USB ports did not leave the factory in a "bent" or broken state.

They captured  a couple of these systems and called it, "customer caused damage". Only customers who bought an additional Complete Care warranty could get this repaired by Dell. 

(Please don't kill the messenger...)

1 Message

October 8th, 2018 17:00

Exact same problem on my XPS 8390. I bought in in April 2018 also. It was problematic from the first days. It has now shorted and failed.

2 Posts

October 16th, 2018 20:00

I asked some of my friends selling the parts, the whole module can be 40$

2 Posts

October 16th, 2018 20:00

same  problem. 2 of the 3 usb just bent and shorting 

November 24th, 2018 21:00

Thanks for all the replies. I now know what I am not the only one that experienced this hardware defect. I will gladly pay for a replacement part, but I don't know the part number as I cannot find a parts list for the XPS 8930 PC. Does anybody know this information? thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 25th, 2018 12:00

@BenJammin Koss wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. I now know what I am not the only one that experienced this hardware defect. I will gladly pay for a replacement part, but I don't know the part number as I cannot find a parts list for the XPS 8930 PC. Does anybody know this information? thanks

Best bet is to contact Dell Spare Parts, 1-800-372-3355. Have your Service Tag handy when you call them.

1 Message

January 2nd, 2019 14:00

Well I have now joined this club. Like the first reporter of this issue, I have NEVER had an issue like this in decades of USB port usage on many PCs. Although I knew the odds were long -- given the futile DELL Tech Support chat dialog already shared in this topic -- I tried to make the same argument that at least a half-dozen of us out here have had this SAME issue with the SAME model of Dell XPS 8930 tower and not anywhere else. I had a chat session which led to a Warranty service phone call which led to another part of the tech support labyrinth. All to be told that the "accidental damage" which I incurred by attempting to use the device as it's supposedly designed would be my cost to bear. I was also told -- quite erroneously -- that the front I/O panel was tied into the motherboard and would be over $100 for the part and another $170 or so for a service visit to fix. No Sale! I asked to be escalated to a manager where I could report this manufacturing defect to someone who might care. That went round in circles until I gave up. I may either buy a replacement part as the first poster did and treat it with a ridiculous amount of caution when placing USB devices in the ports OR buy a multi-port USB hub and run it out of the back of this tower, as those ports don't have this issue. Happy New Year, indeed...

February 1st, 2019 11:00

I joined the bad XPS-8930 front USB port club yesterday. All I did was to plug in my USB stick that I was using for 6 years without any problems in my front port. The stick felt snug as I plugged it in. PC would not mount the volume so I pulled the stick out. It felt 'funny' as I did that. I looked with the flashlight into the port to see 3 pins bent, one pin OK. Nothing like this ever happened to me in 20 years I was using USB devices. I called DELL but all I got was run-around. Today I called them again on a different number, and just ordered the front I/O panel for $50. The unit is not new, just refurbished but with warranty. In my opinion it looks like DELL used sub-standard USB ports on that panel. This should be covered by warranty but is not. Lessons learned 1-Never force anything into USB port, even if little force is required. USB device should snap right in. If it does not, use USB hub. 2-Use USB hubs whenever possible. Avoid plugging anything into USB ports directly. 2-Best not to use front ports on XPS-8930 at all. Set up simple usb 2 hub with long cable into the back USB.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 12th, 2019 13:00

@NMITGuy wrote:

These XPS desktops are plagued with USB port failures,

It's also popped-up on recent Alienware Aurora models (very similar case and panel).

I investigated it and posted an evaluation (on page 1 of this thread). I found that it was the extra metal clips around the port (that make it "snap in") and prevent it from falling out. Too much pressure is sometimes required to insert/remove USB plugs, and leads to user accidentally using to much force and sometimes damaging it.

Hopefully, Dell is listening. Maybe it was re-engineered in Aurora-R8 and recent XPS-89xx models.

8 Posts

February 12th, 2019 13:00

These XPS desktops are plagued with USB port failures, not just on the front panel either.  I made the mistake of purchasing one of these for an employee and another for my parents due to being heavily discounted and having past positive experience with XPS ultrabooks and older desktops.  Both of these desktops I purchased are experiencing major and problems with the USB ports failing for no apparent reason. These problems are clearly a manufacturer defect that Dell is not being held accountable for.  If you search Google for Dell XPS USB port failure, you will see just how large of a problem this is.

I have a user I support looking for a solid, new desktop and found a deal on this line again and now I know why: they are trying to clear their inventory of faulty products.  It really makes me wish the US enjoyed the consumer protection that Europe has (or at least Norway that I know of for sure).  Dell would be required to fix this at their expense.  I will no longer be recommending these desktops.

No Events found!