Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

19 Posts

September 16th, 2019 19:00

XPS 8930, LOUD

I know this has been discussed a lot. But I am not sure if my system is even more sensitive than normal. Even when my CPU is registering 15-20% my fan sounds like a jet engine and processor temps are 90c or higher.

This is probably the 5th or 6th XPS system I have owned over the years and I couldn't be more disappointed in the sound (and the high-temps) when I am doing nothing at all except maybe editing text or browsing the internet. I never game or even watch videos on the system. But dare I go to a web page that has some video ads, the fan noise and heat become unbearable.

Thanks, -Bill

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 19th, 2019 14:00

@ivanmoe   Finally, I'd suggest a front, lower-intake fan

I think @wbdoll  has already done the lower front intake. When I first got my 8930, I had the blower fan/heatsink CPU cooler, and a 92mm top exhaust fan that would scream. I changed that 92mm OEM to the 120mm Noctua fan and all was quiet.

This set-up was insufficient for quiet operation

IMG_3613.JPG

19 Posts

September 19th, 2019 19:00

@Anonymous Nice catch on the fan, I will replace next week when I return home. And thanks for the fan bracket number, that will be a huge help.

@savvy2  As @546insp stated, my room temp is usually around 70F.

@ivanmoe When I get home next week I will contact Dell to see if I can order that heat sink and blower fan found in K version systems. Fingers crossed... Also, as @Anonymous mentioned, I have already installed a 120mm lower front intake fan.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I really appreciate it and look forward to trying these suggestions later next week. I will reply back with results.

54 Posts

September 21st, 2019 10:00

I have already installed a 120mm lower front intake fan.

@wbdoll 

That was actually the first thing that I tried as well. Didn't do squat, I'm afraid, 'cept keep the system cooler at idle. My list was basically prioritizing simple ways solve the issue of noise and processor throttling that I experienced with two 8930 that I purchased several months back.  If I began with Dell's CPU/Fan upgrade, its because of my belief that everything has to begin there. The exhaust fan is critical because of the need to increase negative pressure at the top of the case. The intake fan is #3 on the list, because it won't solve a thing until items #1 and #2 are addressed. I had no knowledge of the parts list for this before visiting this forum. Am genuinely grateful for all that I learned from reading the many post on the subject. Good luck, and I know that you'll be much happier with your XPS when you get it cooled down a bit.

732 Posts

September 21st, 2019 14:00

It won't do squat with that little top fan choking it.

19 Posts

October 13th, 2019 18:00

I finally had the chance to do the fan upgrades this weekend. I was able to locate the 120mm fan and bracket for the top exhaust and install it. I also installed the better CPU cooler heat-sink/blower-fan. And of course I already had installed the lower front 120mm intake fan ensuring it was only taking air from the outside as recommended by @546insp .

Results... it is now quieter. The fans still ramp up on occasion when on one of those news websites littered with thumbnail video ads. And If I run a bench-marking app the fans will get loud briefly and then mostly taper off. So at this point I have to call it done and will live with the occasional fan spin ups. Still quite disappointed in this XPS as it is the first of many over the years that isn't completely silent. When I look inside my previous one (XPS 8900) the heat-sink is a VERY tall tower. No wonder it is silent. Unfortunately the XPS 8930 just doesn't have the room for adequate cooling and thus I feel I have reached the best I can do (with the time and money I am willing to sink in to this).

I want to thank you all for your help and suggestions in at least getting it quieter than it was. I really appreciate it!

-Bill

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 13th, 2019 20:00

@wbdoll   Results... it is now quieter.

If you took any photos and are willing to share, we would be interested in seeing the modifications you have done, and the photos could be helpful to someone else with a hot air, screaming fan XPS 8930.

on one of those news websites littered with thumbnail video ads

consider installing uBlock Origin (it is in the Googles)

2.5K Posts

October 14th, 2019 06:00

you don';t own a beach house  , south of the equator, how sad.

learn that helpers can;t see your PC , your room or your CABANA.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 14th, 2019 11:00

you don';t own a beach house , south of the equator, how sad.

confused dog1.jpg

19 Posts

January 1st, 2020 08:00

HI.

Reading through this thread.

I can find the Noctua fan but when I look up the following....

Aurora R5/6/7/8 top exhaust fan bracket part # 7M0F5

All I see are fans for sale... not a bracket part.

Can you tell me where I can find this bracket?

Thanks,

George

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 1st, 2020 11:00

@wxperson999    All I see are fans for sale... not a bracket part.

You will most likely need to purchase the Dell OEM fan along with the bracket(s). Just take it off and throw it away . . . replace with more quiet, better quality fan. Not sure if you are looking for top exhaust fan bracket, lower front intake fan bracket, or both. Top exhaust position is the metal bracket; lower front intake position is the black plastic bracket. Just make certain your purchase includes the bracket.

Aurora 7M0F5 

19 Posts

January 1st, 2020 11:00

HI...

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think most of the noise is coming from the CPU fan.   I really like the one you showed with the large heatsink and fan.

Where can I find that part(s)?

THanks,

George

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 1st, 2020 14:00

@wxperson999    Where can I find that part(s)?

Link below is for the big auction site. You could also try contacting Dell directly with that part number.

HeatSink T57JF     Fan KTDJC

Dell T57JF 

732 Posts

January 1st, 2020 17:00

Why do you say quieter fan? Where is the silver bullet that makes them "quieter"? They are simple and the makers are all in competition so how can one be quieter than another? It's like making a better and stronger belt, they are leather and hold your pants up. How can anyone improve on that?

19 Posts

January 1st, 2020 18:00

@wxperson999 the link that @Anonymous provided above shows the same fan/heatsink that I used. I got mine from Dell but not sure they always have them in stock. If not, those in the link should work fine for the CPU.

19 Posts

January 1st, 2020 19:00

Those are the 2 exact parts I purchased. In fact when I clicked on each of those links each site instantly popped up a message telling me when I last purchased that item.

No Events found!