Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: XPS 8930 LOUD

@wxperson999 does the 3 pin connector connect to the same location on the mother board?

yes

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Tell what makes these Noctua fans better.

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@wxperson999 I have done everything you have mentioned (minus the PSU swap) and also the recommended front fan with closing off all air intake etc. Followed all instructions to the book. After all this money and time my fans scream at me several times a day, seemingly for no reason. I so miss my 8900 also. Had it for years and no matter what it never was audible, not even a little. With this system I am afraid to open a second browser tab. This system has been a huge disappointment and I have put more time and money into it than any other system I have owned with little to no benefit. To be honest, I believe some of us probably have inferior chips. It is my only explanation as to why some people make these mods and have tremendous results and others (like you and me) see little to no benefit. Just my 2 cents. I have stopped spending money and time as I am convinced with "my" system there is no solution except to replace it when I have time to research something that will be better (silent like my old 8900).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@wxperson999 the link that @Dell630i provided above shows the same fan/heatsink that I used. I got mine from Dell but not sure they always have them in stock. If not, those in the link should work fine for the CPU.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Why do you say quieter fan? Where is the silver bullet that makes them "quieter"? They are simple and the makers are all in competition so how can one be quieter than another? It's like making a better and stronger belt, they are leather and hold your pants up. How can anyone improve on that?

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

facts,. all PCs ran too hot. and not one person asked what is the room TEMP. 96F?\ that befirst, I guess 90C processor fans is screaming fast, and heat sink under it not packed on lint right> ? tell me air into the case is NOT COOL ever use DMM thermistor probe. measure air inside the case, if room is 95F then that is hopeless case. so lets start with the room temps. just 1 question.
nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Room temps are normally around 70* F unless he keeps it in the sauna at 96* F...…..lol.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

@wbdollthe place to start is with the HSF that's been suggested. If your'e still unhappy, I'd suggest replacing the top exhaust fan. Finally, I'd suggest a front, lower-intake fan to help keep your graphics card cool. That's how my 8930/I7-8700 is setup, and my temps dropped a cool 25C. BTW, Dell sells the HSF that I referenced above. Shipped, the unit is like $45 (including the tax).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

@ivanmoe   Finally, I'd suggest a front, lower-intake fan

I think @wbdoll  has already done the lower front intake. When I first got my 8930, I had the blower fan/heatsink CPU cooler, and a 92mm top exhaust fan that would scream. I changed that 92mm OEM to the 120mm Noctua fan and all was quiet.

This set-up was insufficient for quiet operation

IMG_3613.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@Dell630i Nice catch on the fan, I will replace next week when I return home. And thanks for the fan bracket number, that will be a huge help.

@savvy2  As @546insp stated, my room temp is usually around 70F.

@ivanmoe When I get home next week I will contact Dell to see if I can order that heat sink and blower fan found in K version systems. Fingers crossed... Also, as @Dell630i mentioned, I have already installed a 120mm lower front intake fan.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I really appreciate it and look forward to trying these suggestions later next week. I will reply back with results.

0 Kudos