Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 9th, 2020 02:00

XPS 8930, Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Bluetooth on not working

Hi - newly purchased XPS 8930 with Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1

The bluetooth shows as: Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Bluetooth.

Upon booting the bluetooth never stays alive long enough to be useful: 

>> Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Running latest drivers i can find: 12.0.0.916

Deleted & reinstalled many times... 

Killer Control Center doesn't offer options for Bluetooth.

Seems like many folks have problems, but never clear resolution.....

Any help appreciated

Thanks

4 Posts

May 23rd, 2020 08:00

Hi @RoHe ,  No "A" on my device name, just QCA61x4.   package states 12.0.0.916, A33, but yes when installed driver properties shows 10.0.0.916

Just spoke to Tech Support...  performed a motherboard reset..... 
1/ shutdown
2/ remove power cord
3/ hold power-button for 10secs
4/ re-insert power cord and power-on

Now working fine.  (Driver still showing 10.0.0.916)

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 9th, 2020 09:00

Make sure you get the killer drivers from Dell instead of Qualcomm--

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/xps-8930-desktop/drivers

4 Posts

May 9th, 2020 10:00

Yep - that's where I've got all drivers from... and specifically, the detect option shows:

"No driver updates found. Your system has the most recent updates"

So DELL think I'm all good.....   but still shows error....

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 9th, 2020 17:00

@shaunpc  -  You said you have Qualcomm BT QCA61x4 but the driver listed on the Support page says: QCA61x4A. So do you have "A"?  (I don't know what/any difference there might be.)

When you said: "Deleted & reinstalled many times...", do you mean you right-clicked the Qualcomm BT entry in Device Manager, selected Uninstall, then rebooted and installed the latest Dell driver again?

I have Qualcomm BT QCA9377 in my XPS 8930 and the driver listed on the support page says it's for both Qualcomm BT QCA61x4A and QCA9377, and is v12.0.0.916, A33.  It's odd because Device Manager on my PC lists the BT driver that's installed as v10.0.0.916, installed 11-19-2020, but none of the previous driver versions that are listed on the support page are 10.x.x.x.xxx.  So what does Device Manager say on your PC?

It's possible the BT card either isn't properly seated in its slot on the motherboard and/or it's just DOA. So you should contact Dell Tech Support ASAP for assistance. Have your Service Tag handy...

4 Posts

May 23rd, 2020 08:00

Hi @Mary 

Just spoke to Tech Support...  performed a motherboard reset..... 
1/ shutdown
2/ remove power cord
3/ hold power-button for 10secs
4/ re-insert power cord and power-on

Now working fine.  

1 Message

June 15th, 2020 13:00

Fantastic. Your posting of the fix has worked. Thanks, thanks and thanks.

3 Posts

September 9th, 2020 03:00

I have the same error on my XPS 8930, but unfortunately doing the shutdown, unplug, press the on button for 10 second, and turning it on again doesn't work.

And now on Device Manager I can't even find the Bluetooth radio after I've uninstalled the driver & reinstalling it, only an "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). Even after unplugging all my USB devices, this still remains. And my computer is now out of warranty. What else is there to do?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 9th, 2020 11:00

@tiadaid wrote:

I have the same error on my XPS 8930, but unfortunately doing the shutdown, unplug, press the on button for 10 second, and turning it on again doesn't work.

And now on Device Manager I can't even find the Bluetooth radio after I've uninstalled the driver & reinstalling it, only an "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). Even after unplugging all my USB devices, this still remains. And my computer is now out of warranty. What else is there to do?

Open Device Manager. Right-click and uninstall that "Unknown USB Device". Then click Action>Scan for hardware changes on toolbar in Device Manager. That should install the BT driver and BT should be listed in Device Manager again and working.

October 8th, 2020 22:00

Thank you so much for putting this up! I was so fed up with not being able to use my PC to play music and radio any more, on this expensive box, and unable to understand much of the gobbledygook in so-called solutions. This one was along the lines of 'have you tried switching it off and on again' (ie simple, obvious, clear and not requiring special qualifications) but with extra oomph. I crossed all fingers and carried out the instructions and lo, behold, my bluetooth is back! After months!

I would love to know how it works but prob wouldn't understand it. Thanks again

1 Message

July 9th, 2021 01:00

ROHE say: Open Device Manager. Right-click and uninstall that "Unknown USB Device". Then click Action>Scan for hardware changes on toolbar in Device Manager. That should install the BT driver and BT should be listed in Device Manager again and working.

Thanks for this tips....
it's ok for me now.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 9th, 2021 10:00

@gradateur wrote:

ROHE say: Open Device Manager. Right-click and uninstall that "Unknown USB Device". Then click Action>Scan for hardware changes on toolbar in Device Manager. That should install the BT driver and BT should be listed in Device Manager again and working.

Thanks for this tips....
it's ok for me now.

YEA!  Glad that helped you too...

2 Posts

January 7th, 2023 19:00

Worked as a start (Thank you for the info) However, after that, I had to go into device manager and delete the "unidentified USB device" and then do a rescan for hardware changes before Bluetooth reappeared in the device manager list.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 8th, 2023 11:00

@justjohnk  Glad you got it working.

We did say to uninstall all Unknown devices listed in Device Manager before scanning for new hardware...

February 17th, 2023 19:00

Thank You for the help.

No Events found!