Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2020 14:00

XPS 8930, RTX 2070 Super, compatible? #2

Hello,

Simple question. Can I upgrade from my GTX1070 to the RTX 2070 Super?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 20th, 2020 10:00

@Alle82    one thing that is really weird is that the PSU fan does not kick in even with the RTX 2080 S

Nice Job!

PSU fan should not come on at all unless PSU is stressed (which is never). I have not seem my PSU fan move in a year-and-a-half of use. Even if you were to turn on the PSU fan (if your PSU has that option), it would not help in cooling your graphics card.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 18th, 2020 15:00

@Alle82    Can I upgrade from my GTX1070 to the RTX 2070 S?

simple answer

yes

longer answer

nVidia recommended minimum 650 watt PSU for the RTX 2070 Super

therefore; upgrade to 850 watt PSU

19 Posts

February 18th, 2020 15:00

That is great news! This is Dell response at the same question today =

Hi,

Good Day!

Thank you for this information. In line with the RTX 2070 it is not compatible since the graphics card is large and it may not fit to the computer. Also the graphics card is not tested by our engineering team which is why we are not able recommend it.

Thank you for choosing Dell.

What do you think about the engineer reply?

• 

25.1K Posts

February 18th, 2020 16:00

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to Dell Community Forum. I understand you have query related to upgrade. Could you confirm the system Service Tag via private message, so I can look into this and provide you with the information.

Dell-ArunV

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 18th, 2020 18:00

@Alle82  - Dell does offer the XPS 8930 with an RTX 2070 Super, but it requires the 850W PSU, as was mentioned. Do you know which PSU you have now?

Looks like retail versions of the card are 10.5 inches long, but I don't know how long the Dell OEM version is. So make sure there's at least enough room for a 10.5 inch card.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 18th, 2020 21:00

@Alle82  that is great news

My GTX 1080 is 10.7" long, and it fit in my case comfortably, even with the Aurora lower front fan bracket. (click photo to embiggen)

IMG_3835.JPG

19 Posts

February 19th, 2020 04:00

Thanks for the replies, really appreciated. The model I have been looking at is the RTX 2070 S (blower). 

I don't have blower style fan and heatsink (I own a i7-8700). I hope this is not an issue.

The idea is to not add additional fan and exploit the blower model to not overheat the case and expel the hot air outside the case.

In terms of dimensions, would that fit?

Brand name ASUS
Item Weight 812 g
Product Dimensions 26.8 x 4 x 11.3 cm
Item model number TURBO-RTX2070S-8G-EVO
Series ASUS TURBO-RTX2070S-8G-EVO
RAM Size 8 GB
Computer Memory Type GDDR6
Hard Drive Size 8192 MB
Graphics Coprocessor amd_fire_pro_v_7800
Graphics Chipset Brand nvidia
Graphics Card Description Dedicated
Graphics RAM Type DDR5 SDRAM
Graphics Card Ram Size 512
Graphics Card Interface PCI-Express x16
Wattage 300 watts

Also how is complicated to replace the power unit? Not really an expert on this, I just want to make sure it is worth spending 650 pounds for better VR performance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 19th, 2020 19:00

@Alle82   I don't have blower style fan and heatsink ( I own a I7 8700) , I hope this is not an issue.

It is not a terminal issue with a 65 watt CPU, but you should make every effort to get additional air flow in your case. This is the thread I did for my fan & PSU upgrade

XPS-8930-SE-Exhaust-Fan-and-PSU-Upgrade 

Regarding your choice in graphics card, different peeps will have different opinions regarding the optimal choices. No particular peeps specifically in mind @GTS81   @r72019  that might offer a differing opinion, but this is my opinion:

I would not opt for the blower style graphics card. While it is true that they are designed to exhaust the hot air out of the case, the single fan, exhausting design is less efficient at actually cooling the GPU, VRAM and voltage regulators. If you visit the nVidia web site, you will see that they no longer offer blower style graphics cards, and have moved to the dual fan/vapor chamber design (for a good reason). Again, that is just my personal opinion.

The PSU swap is super easy and covered in the above link.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

February 19th, 2020 22:00

@Anonymous wrote:

Regarding your choice in graphics card, different peeps will have different opinions regarding the optimal choices. No particular peeps specifically in mind @GTS81   @r72019  that might offer a differing opinion, but this is my opinion:

I would not opt for the blower style graphics card. While it is true that they are designed to exhaust the hot air out of the case, the single fan, exhausting design is less efficient at actually cooling the GPU, VRAM and voltage regulators. If you visit the nVidia web site, you will see that they no longer offer blower style graphics cards, and have moved to the dual fan/vapor chamber design (for a good reason). Again, that is just my personal opinion.

Yeah, for the majority of people the open air GPUs are an all around better and more efficient choice.  The major exceptions would be people wanting a SLI/multi GPU setup, and SFF people suffering from restricted airflow (*cough* XPS 8930 and Aurora R5-10). 

My opinion on Nvidia's move from blower to open air for the FE / RTX titans is that it is more related to a marketing strategy.  This move creates a physical distinction with the Quadro cards.  Note here that the much more expensive Quadro cards are only offered in singe fan blower designs, and that Nvidia has had a monopoly on Titan cards since the pascal generation.  People looking at the Quadro cards are much more likely to need a multi-GPU setup, and open-air GPUs are mostly no good for multi-GPU setups absent special cooling arrangements.  So for these people (lets call them professionals), they are looking for blower style GPUs, which crosses the RTX FE and Titan off the list (I think its safe to assume the typical professional users are less likely to mod a GPU for liquid cooling). So in summary I'd guess that this in part a signal from Nvidia, that it is trying to push professional users over to their Quadro cards instead of the much "cheaper" Titan/FE cards.  On the flip side, those open air cards are generally the best bet for your typical single-GPU average use case consumer. 

19 Posts

February 26th, 2020 09:00

Hello guys

before I click the purchase button

I  decided to buy 

RTX 2080 S blower type

dimensions  28.09 x 12.5 x 4.19 cm  which fits in my case 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GeForce-RTX-2080-Super-Blower/dp/B07V1PCZ8G/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=rtx+2080+super+blower&qid=1582727499&sr=8-1

Corsair RM850x 80 PLUS Gold 

dimensions 16 x 15 x 8.6 cm which has exactly the same dimensions on my current PSU. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-RM850x-Watts-Modular-Supply/dp/B07B71JV8T/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=RM850x&qid=1582735835&s=computers&sr=1-1 

No extra cooling solution.

The upgrade is to allow me to play in VR for a 1 hour straight racing simulators which are high demanding in CPU/GPU.

Is this a bad idea?

19 Posts

February 27th, 2020 05:00

Hello

can you please reply?

Am I going to face overheating issues in your opinion?

2.5K Posts

February 27th, 2020 06:00

Is this booting to UEFI SECURE BOOT? or is PC setup MBR HDD0 boot. SSD0 MBR booted.

The are many issues, and is not really simple at all, there are 12 makers of cards and some do not fit vast PCs.

only you can measure the card and whats inside the case NOW and know if it fits. Desktops can have many things inside even MOD's fans etc.

• has to fit, and is first, for obvious reasons.!
  • not overload the x16 slot, as seen on some SFF mobo, (not you but is part of any full list)
  • not overload the PSU, , the cards sold all tell  you what the card uses, for power and tell you PSU size. RTM? all have a  manual if not DO NOT BUY the card.
  • must  be w10 64bit certified, (nobody uses w7 now) GTX 7xxx series up are. (Nvidia rules)
  • the case internal temperatures must not be allowed to get too hot, intel states 35C max.
  • fans, GPU can have 1 to 3 fans or water cooling, many folks hate load fans, so there is that.
  • then the card has vast features seen on the left side of GPU page, Newegg.com see that? , only you know what you need, even ports needed. Read there carefully first, so you know what you want now and say 3 years out, like wanting to go to DP monitors or pairs or whatever.

2.5K Posts

February 27th, 2020 07:00

allen

there are 3 answers, here always #2 is data,  but tells me your shopping choices,...

1. what dell has tested,  or what they sell, only and tested,  this is covered in the Dell guide, 8930
  2. you are in UK and use Pounds for money ok (not Euros?) and you sad VR well that is gaming. gotcha.
  3. then what other folks on this forum you are on have tried, sure lots.
  4. and last what the world has tried ? called gaming benchmarks see this yet. 8,500 others. did it.

85 pages to look, there, me too lazy all.  but none seen .by me...so far.

most folks do not have $500 USD to spend, in the real wold but ,   and costs as much a  the PC refurbed, wow.

this PC has the wild tilt out PSU. with side vents, what fits is not easy on this PC. 

i forgot to say IDK what DELL sells, now or ever, only the sales ads, sold new.  and they can change this at the drop of a hat.

Here is the newegg list, lots, and fans are not the same , buy carefully, the one that only blows air to rear.

here is your space , use a ruler, for sure, use a ruler and discover TRUE SPACE. physical.

this is real (nothing there now)

xps.JPG

ID go,  Gigabyte   gigabyte WINDFORCE 3X Cooling System with Alternate Spinning Fans

and are turned off if not needed.

https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/global/KeyFeature/1002/index.html

L=280.35 mm long is huge.  (2 inches 50mm longer than my GTX1650 is.) but my card is no longer than the slot. but seems to me in the photo 50 mm more fits.

as you seen just  thermal dynamics is a complex subject, not SIMPLE.

also learn if the PCU or GPU get too hot near 90c they slow down, so that matters too.

2.5K Posts

February 27th, 2020 07:00

Am I going to face overheating issues in your opinion?

why ask this? (lacking all facts as input )

The MT PC can have 4 HDD, in the case all using 12 to 25 watts each, I do not known your current heat load.

nor if you game or not or what? what is the 3D GPU  mode usage. ok VR = gaming, sure..

A PC not gamed (or the like actions) will be like 25 watts, need proof have AC ammeter and a cam.

GO SDD and lower heat loads by 4 times or  more.

The CPU can be 95watts dumped into the case (top fan only)

the MOBO around 25watts, do you see what I am doing here, those watts must be expelled from the case or it will overheat. or run hot and last a short time, you do know that heat is is the #1 cause of electronics fast aging right?  heat Kills. in fact MIL testing uses that  1/2 really to pretest all chips they buy (and fast clocked) mil spec.

learn that heat exploits chip weaknesses. ( and they all do have them!)

i can not see your PC blind. nor know all the parts inside but 1 the MOBO.

the issue of GPU cards,  is endless on this forum endless questions, and all done blind.

the PSU blows air to the rear, out of case never into the case (a win #1)

the CPU blows here, into the case ( failure #1) and is common but common does not make it RIGHT.

that means PSU and some case fans must get that heat out, or fail.! simple no?

the GPU blows into the case, on some cards, and newer ones too and I can tell you why.

here is why (not for better cooling) !!!! IN NO ORDER (  a secret that order IDK)

• to make the card cheaper in   falling fast market,  now that the bit coin mining BS frenzy ended. LOL
  • to make this now higher wattage and FASTER card not too huge, 3 wide factors card and huge fan box.
  • to not make too much noise, for sure fan box 2 slots wide would   scream load, and angry buyers.
  • I am sure other reasons, were the reasons. (sure 75watt cards sure) yours is 175watts, dumped to case.

now what you buy is your choice, just put in a huge front case fan, and end the cooling problems.???

Did you know you can buy fan thermal controllers and add fans to it and set them any why you want?

Hint build your own PCs DYI buy the CASE FIRST !!!

A better PCs can have fans on 4 sides of the 6,  mine has top , rear and front, fans huge and slow. and quite.

or go water cooling the choices here are endless,  why not just do it and monitor heat and do what needs to be done later.  (if need be) There are only 12 makers of cards and many versions of one card,each

good luck finding the best card for you, only you matters, happy.

Id say no other upgrade on ANY DESKTOP is more complex. 

go to newegg.com click GPU

see left column of features, , HUGE variants exist.  learn that first, for now and what you need down the road.

last, is your PC room at 72F or 95F or above.???

buy it where exchanges are easy,  this is always best, that, for sure at brick stores, remember those? LOL

bestbuy?  what amazes me of folks afraid to try first.  use the ruler then buy.?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 27th, 2020 10:00

@Alle82   RTX cards need the optional 850 W PSU in an XPS 8930. If you have the standard 460 W PSU, you'll have to upgrade it to use one of those cards.

No Events found!