Tiinsky
1 Copper

XPS 8930, Recovery disk

I have an XPS 8930 that came with an ordered recovery disk in a sealed package. 

This may sound like a stupid question but is this recovery disk ready to go, or is just an empty disk and am I still meant to create the recovery disk with windows?

I bought the desktop 10 months ago and it's just shown a critical hard drive error, so I want to make sure it's all good to go if the hard drive has to be replaced (A Dell support ticket is already lodged to replace the hard drive).

Thanks

-Tina

0 Kudos
6 Replies
7- Thorium

Re: Recovery disk

I don't know what's on that recovery disk, aside from Windows, but it's likely out of date since Microsoft released Win 10 v1903 in May'19. 

If you have to reinstall on a new hard drive, you might want to image the old drive before it fails. You can use the free Macrium Reflect to create an image and then transfer that over onto the new hard drive after it's installed. That way you won't have to reinstall all your apps and settings.

At the very least, back up all your personal files on external media ASAP and make sure you have the Product Keys for all your installed apps, eg Microsoft Office, etc.

And if you decide you really want to do a clean install to get rid of all the junk that accumulates in Windows, you can download the .ISO file for the latest v1903 for free from Microsoft and follow instructions on that page to create a bootable USB stick (use at least a 16-GB stick).  Once  Win 10 is installed on the new drive, you'll have go to Dell's Support page to download and install all the right Win 10 drivers for your hardware. Then reinstall your apps and personal files.

If Dell included any of their software on the disk,  eg SupportAssist, you can download it again for free from Dell's site. If you have a paid subscription for McAfee, be sure to register at the McAfee site before you replace the hard drive. That way you'll be able to download McAfee for free onto the new drive and resume the rest of your subscription.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

Re: XPS 8930, Recovery disk

It seems to me, the current way to obtain a Recovery Image from Dell is to download it.  When this is done, the newer Win 10 image is probably included.  I do not know if one you ordered would have that.  You can always look at the DVD and see what file dates or versions are available.

Dell used to use recovery DVDs on older, prior to Win 10 systems.

A hard drive error after only 10 months is a little unusual.  Do you feel the usage since you have had the unit would justify such a failure so early?  Have you been seeing any signs of problems prior to this event?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

If this PC is still under Warranty, contact Dell Tech Support, and have Service Tag handy. But back everything up ASAP.

And who knows how often Dell updates their Recovery Images...???

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

@ilario musuraca   - Is there a question here?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Recovery media on DVD is a bootable disk.

It allows you to reinstall onto a new blank hard drive.

A RESOURCE DVD is NOT Recovery media.

If you want a disk that is ready to go Buy an OEM System Builder DVD.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-32-350-238

There is no difference between home and pro.

They use the SAME disk.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos