A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 5th, 2019 21:00

XPS 8930 SE, Exhaust Fan and PSU Upgrade

XPS 8930 Tower Special Edition

• Motherboard Chipset Intel Kaby Point Z370, Intel Coffee Lake-S
  • 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core Processor (16M Cache, up to 5.0 GHz)
  • 64GB, DDR4, 2666MHz Samsung
  • 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD Toshiba
  • nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X: 3x DisplayPort 1.3 (1.4 Ready), HDMI 2.0, Dual Link DVI-D
  • 11ac + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1
  • Windows 10 Pro 64bit English
  • Microsoft® Office 2019 Professional
  • 2 x Dell UltraSharp U2717D 27” InfinityEdge QHD Monitors

I will provide a lot of photos for beginners like myself (click photos to embiggen).

Acknowledgement goes to HanoverB for much information and assistance during this project.

IMG_3610 - Copy.JPG

XPS 8930 SE with which most will be familiar; air flow starved small form case; swing-out PSU

My unit has 2TB SSD only; no spinners, so all the HDD cages are removed.

IMG_3613.JPG

My CPU came with the "upgraded" heatsink/blower fan. Unfortunately, the wizards at Dell "downgraded" the top exhaust fan from 120mm to 92mm. The mission was to swap the 92mm top exhaust for for 120mm fan. Initial research revealed that the CPU power connector from the PSU was inconveniently located under the heatsink. So I decided to also upgrade the PSU while I had the heatsink removed and access to the CPU power connector.

IMG_3670.JPG

Gain access to the internal organs by removing, in this order; side cover -> optical drive -> front bezel -> top cover (see service manual).

IMG_3676.JPG

Make sure you have a clean, suitable work area with space for tools and no clutter.

IMG_3681.JPG

Since I was changing out the PSU I took a lot of photos so I would have a record of which connection plugged in where and cable routing. I recommend you do the same if you are a noob like me, but in the end, it was actually very easy.

IMG_3685.JPG

Remove the graphics card.

IMG_3706.JPG

IMG_3711.JPG

The CPU fan header is also inconveniently located under the heatsink, so when you remove the blower fan the cable will still be connected. Set it aside gently on the mobo until the heatsink is removed and you can access the fan header connection.IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_3713.JPG

Once the heatsink is removed you can see the two fan headers and the CPU power connector.

IMG_3716.JPG

Clean the thermal paste from the CPU and disconnect the blower fan from the CPU fan header.

IMG_3718.JPG

One screw to easily remove the top exhaust fan bracket and fan.

IMG_3723.JPG

Familiarize yourself with the location of the connections. Fortunately, they are well labeled.

IMG_3730.JPG

This system board power connector can be stubborn, so be very careful. It has a release clip on the back. This would ONLY need to be removed if you are upgrading the PSU.

IMG_3731.JPG

I went with a Seasonic FOCUS 850 watt fully modular PSU. I was originally going to upgrade the OEM 460 watt PSU to 650 watt, but I followed the recommendation of HanoverB and got the 850 watt PSU and I am grateful for that, for reasons that will become more clear in a subsequent thread. You will also need to purchase separately a 6-Pin Slimline SATA 15-Pin SATA Power Cable to re-connect the optical drive to the PSU.

6-Pin Slimline SATA 15-Pin SATA Power Cable

IMG_3733.JPG

The Seasonic FOCUS PSU is a perfect fit and a very simple swap (4 screws).

IMG_3736.JPG

For the top exhaust fan I went with the recommended 120mm Noctua 3-pin fan that will spin at a quiet 1,200 rpm. You will need to acquire the Aurora R5 120mm top exhaust fan bracket, which is available on the big auction site.

IMG_3738.JPG

This photo shows the substantial difference between a 92mm fan and a 120mm fan. There is approximately 70% more area with the 120mm fan.

IMG_3740.JPG

Slide the new bracket and fan in place and tighten the screw. Note in this photo that I have installed the new CPU modular power cable from the Seasonic PSU. These cables have a lot more insulation and protection than the OEM wires. The wires coming out of the CPU power connector must be bent at 90 degrees and tucked under the fan to provide clearance for the heatsink when it is re-installed. The top exhaust fan power cable must also be bent over and tucked under the fan.

IMG_3743.JPG

Since the CPU fan header is underneath the heatsink, after you have applied thermal paste to the CPU, you will need to thread the blower fan cable through the heatsink and plug it into the CPU fan header first, and then carefully install the heatsink.

IMG_3745.JPG

Route the blower fan power cable so it is not pinched and install the blower fan.

IMG_3746.JPG

Now we are looking to install two front case fans.

IMG_3800.JPG

Carefully install the system board power cable and drape it and the CPU power cable towards the back of the case and out of the way.

IMG_3805.JPG

For the front intake fans, again, Noctua 120mm 3-pin 1,200 rpm fans. The Aurora R5 front cooling case fan bracket (7M0F5) can also be acquired on the big auction site and makes installation of the lower front fan very easy.

IMG_3811.JPG

IMG_3814.JPG

I experimented with several different types of gasket/weather strip material for mounting the top front fan and found this type to work best.

IMG_3815.JPG

Cut the weather strip and make a frame by pressing the glue side against the case.

IMG_3818.JPG

Wedge the fan into the weather strip frame making sure it is tight against the front case mesh, and add the final piece as shown to hold the fan in place. Note the position of the fan power cable.

IMG_3825.JPG

The bottom front fan simply snaps into place in the XPS 8930 case with the Aurora R5 bracket. Again, note the position of the power cable.

IMG_3835.JPG

Reinstall the graphics card.

IMG_3840.JPG

Start connecting the modular cables from the PSU. Since the modular cables need to be "universal fit" and the XPS 8930 is a small form case, you will end up with a lot of extra cable length, so cable management is imperative.

IMG_3842.JPG

Add cables slowly and neatly secure them with zip ties, regularly checking clearance and that there is no binding as the PSU swing-out mechanism opens and closes.

IMG_3844.JPG

I chose to power the two front fans off the PSU with an SATA fan splitter cable.

IMG_3856.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_3863.JPG

For front fans I choses these 120mm ModRight filters. This design includes added relief due to the two-tiered construction and the concave nature of the screen material. I tried to use magnetic tape for mounting the filters, but it did not hold well enough, so I ended up using double-sided tape across the corners, as shown.

IMG_3893.JPG

I left some magnetic tape strips in the indented areas to smooth the surface for the double sided tape. Areas that were vented to the inside of the case were sealed off with Gorilla tape so that the fans are drawing air from outside the case. The top cover has also been reinstalled in this photo.

IMG_3872.JPG

The filters are installed with the double-sided tape. The significance of the aforementioned "relief" can be seen here as the lower filter screen clears the case protrusion such that no cutting is required.

IMG_3889.JPG

The inserts on the front bezel need to be cut with a Dremel cutting wheel.

IMG_3896.JPG

The front bezel is reinstalled.

IMG_3897.JPG

The optical drive is reinstalled and connected to power using the previously mentioned 6-Pin Slimline SATA 15-Pin SATA Power Cable.

IMG_3931.JPG

Re-connect your peripherals and enjoy.

Added link to follow-up thread

XPS 8930 SE - CPU & GPU Water Cooling; External Rad

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 20th, 2019 21:00

@Anonymous    So what exactly is the difference between the two fans from a pin perspective?

The 4-pin fans allow for Pulse Width Modulation; control of the fan speed through software or computer hardware. The 3-pin fans will run at a constant speed. For me, since the Noctua fans I used were very quiet at their top speed of 1200 rpm, I saw no reason slow them down through modulation.

I would also like to get the larger Dell Fan Bracket for the Noctua

There are 2 fan brackets from the Aurora R5/6/7 that will work on the XPS 8930, as the cases are the same. The part number is the same for both brackets; 7M0F5 and they can be purchased on the big auction site  Aurora 7M0F5   You will probably have to purchase the fan also; just replace it with the Noctua. Make certain the bracket is included in your purchase, and not just the fan. The brackets are for the top exhaust position and the lower front intake position.

Lastly, is the hole on the top of the 8930 going to accept the 120mm or do I have to cut it?

No cutting required; slips into place with one screw. The bracket is the same size as the one with your 92mm fan, and mounts exactly the same way. (click photo to embiggen)

IMG_3738.JPG

Note: if you have the blower fan/heatsink like the one I had, it will need to be removed to access the fan and fan power header, so you will also need some thermal compound for reinstalling the heatsink.

This is the lower front intake fan bracket.

IMG_3805.JPG

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 20th, 2019 21:00

Hi there!

I came across this thread purely by accident and I'm so glad that I did.

I have a XPS-8930 SE with that small 92mm exhaust fan at the top of the unit and would like to have more air circulate in the case to lower the overall temps. I see that you have installed a Noctua NF-S12A FLX 3 pin fan.

However, the stock fan is a 92mm Dell VM20H, that is a 4 pin fan.

So what exactly is the difference between the two fans from a pin perspective? Must be important.

I would also like to get the larger Dell Fan Bracket for the Noctua, but all I can find is a used Dell 120 mm fan and bracket as one assembly on EB. Is there a way to get the plate new? I see the Dell part number on your 120mm plate but can't make it out. Perhaps you can share that Dell plate part number.

Lastly, is the hole on the top of the 8930 going to accept the 120mm or do I have to cut it?

Many thanks for your great thread(s) and I look forward to your detailed reply.

Cheers!

BTW - Noctua does offer a 4 pin fan:

NF-S12A PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (120mm, Brown) but it may be quite different.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 20th, 2019 22:00

@Anonymous   Can I get away with just the top exhaust fan? Need just a bit of clarification.

Post some photos of the inside of your computer, so we can see what your setup looks like. The photos will have to be moderator approved before anyone else can see them, which can take some time.

The most important fan to replace in my situation was the top exhaust fan. What CPU, graphics card and PSU wattage do you have? The two fan brackets are different, as pictured above; one metal, one black plastic.

If you only want to replace the top exhaust fan, you would only need the metal fan bracket, and some thermal compound. If you were considering upgrading your PSU, now would be the time to do that.

I can be more specific after you post your components and some photos.

EDIT: the XPS 8930 case already has the mounting notches for the Aurora R5/6/7 lower front intake fan bracket. It simply snaps into place.

IMG_3829.JPG

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 20th, 2019 22:00

Hi!

Thanks for your responses!

Are you saying that the lower front fan should be replaced as well with the same components of the top fan?

If so, I would need to order two sets, correct?

Is the lower front fan hole enlarged to accept the 120mm fan?

Seems that the lower front uses a different bracket? If so, what do I need to order (specify)?

Can I get away with just the top exhaust fan or would that inhibit airflow and make noise?

Need just a bit of clarification. Thanks again for your prompt reply!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 21st, 2019 13:00

Hi again...

Unmodified system, with the ECO cpu fan change just like your pics.

However, I do have one question for you:

If I just replace the Top Exhaust Fan with the 4 pin PWM Noctua 120mm:

Will it throw the airflow out of balance and create noise?

I would leave all the other fans alone.

What do you think?

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 21st, 2019 16:00

@Anonymous   Unmodified system . . .

Not much help . . . 95 watt CPU or 65 watt CPU . . . full length graphics card or short card . . . blower style GPU cooler or triple fan . . . these make a difference in the amount of heat generated inside the case and the internal air flow dynamics (or lack thereof)

Will it throw the airflow out of balance and create noise?

No, nothing will be thrown out of balance. The amount of noise will depend on the rpm of the fan you install. The Noctua 120mm PWM fans range from a quiet 700 rpm @ 6.8 dB to Industrial 3000 rpm @ 43.5 dB    I would recommend 1200 rpm to 1500 rpm for your top exhaust fan (but I still don't know your specific components)

Noctua Fans 

I would leave all the other fans alone.

What other case fans do you have besides the top exhaust fan?? (if you posted photos I would not have to ask)

732 Posts

December 21st, 2019 18:00

I would just make sure the top fan is 120mm and just put a 120mm fan in the lower rear mounted with double sided thick tape and no special brackets (I don't know why everyone uses those Noctua fans) but if it spins more than 1000 rpm it will start getting noisy. Don't use screws to mount fans to metal because it will accentuate the vibration noise. Make sure you block ALL the holes etc around that new 100mm bottom rear fan so ALL the air will come from outside and not just recirculate hot air.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2019 08:00

@Anonymous    If I just replace the Top Exhaust Fan with the 4 pin PWM Noctua 120mm . . .

Have you made any progress on these modifications?  If you are still in the planning stage, I may be able to help you out with some of those parts, if you are located somewhere in the lower 48 states.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 25th, 2019 08:00

@Anonymous 

Hi!

Thanks for your reply...

I have the Dell  7M0F5 AVC 120mm fan - new!

However, I need the Dell part number for the 120mm Dell metal Fan Bracket also called the Mount Plate.

I have a stamped part number, but there is a Dell code 4-5 characters, which would be most helpful.

The stamped part code on the metal is: 13P1-4ZN0201

That doesn't work to identify the part per Dell. It would be a small white sticker on the metal plate.

This would be much appreciated.

Happy holidays!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 25th, 2019 08:00

@Anonymous    The stamped part code on the metal is: 13P1-4ZN0201

Click on photo to embiggen.

image.png

These parts can be purchased from the big auction site. They do not need to be purchased new! from Dell. These are not electronics or moving parts that wear, they are fan brackets. Again, if you are interested in the lower front intake fan bracket (black plastic), and you live in the lower 48 states, I have one that I am no longer using I can send you. Also, if you want to replace the new! Dell OEM industrial grade server fan with some quiet Noctua fans, I have some of those I can send as well; 3-pin or 4-pin, your choice. If you are interested, message me a shipping address.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 25th, 2019 09:00

No worries -

I know it's just a 120mm plate, but I have a friend who can get it for me once I know the Dell Part number.

Like I said the fan is ready to go, so I just need the plate.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 25th, 2019 10:00

@Anonymous   once I know the Dell Part number.

Could take a while for that photo to be moderator approved. These are the numbers on the white sticker:

DP/N 0X64T5

CN-0X64T5-74431-64Q-C02V-AD0

. . . as best I can tell 'zero', O & D may be hard to distinguish. Looks like 'zero' to me.

20 Posts

January 7th, 2020 17:00

I'm running an XPS 8930 with an RTX 2060 which I use for gaming. For the first few months the machine was fine when running it at medium settings and low 80 FPS, and not until Dec 2019 and a game update that it started crashing. I updated graphics drivers, blew out the entire machine and lowered my graphics settings down to bare bones but nothing helped, it kept crashing to a black screen with the tiny fan working overtime. Turns out the OEM headsink/fan were not enough to expel the excess heat. I was reaching high 90° and above when playing. That being said I googled for solutions and I found this thread. I followed everything you posted down to the same exact gorilla tape and weather stripping. 

So this is the outcome, just by installing the 3 12mm fans my temps dropped by 20° down to the mid 70's. The upgraded heatsink like the one you are running brought it down to 60° when playing at 120 FPS and Ultra settings. I've included pictures of my progress and the old heatsink and left over parts. You're post was extremely helpful. You can barely see the OEM heatsink still installedYou can barely see the OEM heatsink still installedThe two intake fans installed, 1 with a case and one with the weather stripping modThe two intake fans installed, 1 with a case and one with the weather stripping modCPU modular cable was a tight fight under the new heatsink, so definitely bend those wires like in the original postCPU modular cable was a tight fight under the new heatsink, so definitely bend those wires like in the original postHeatsink and 3 fans installed, just doing light cable managementHeatsink and 3 fans installed, just doing light cable managementleftover parts, job done!leftover parts, job done!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 7th, 2020 21:00

@juGGer1     I'm running an XPS 8930 with an RTX 2060 which I use for gaming . . .

Great Job! . . . and nice temperatures. Those are some good photos too! You will find those Noctua fans are very quiet.

732 Posts

January 8th, 2020 18:00

One bottom fan probably would have done the same thing. Nice mounting with weather stripping and taped off to draw from outside air (most don't do that and I did a thread on this a while back). Why does everyone go with those brick colored fans? They all doo the same thing (no silver bullet there).

No Events found!