Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

Re: XPS 8930 SE, Exhaust Fan and PSU Upgrade

@wxperson999 

Probably a minor thing but I am not sure what you mean by

"The inserts on the front bezel need to be cut with a Dremel cutting wheel."

Also... with 2 fans sucking air in from the front... doesn't it get a little loud with all of that air being pulled through the small slats?

If you go back to his very first post, about halfway down, he put a photo of some mesh-like filter on the front of the chassis. That's where he said to cut the inserts on the front bezel. That's because the filter will cover the hole where the inserts fit into. Unless you're cool with the inserts puncturing the filter mesh.

I did my first cut of the bezel inserts using tin snips and a file. Only after a few months did I return and tidy it up with a Dremel.

As for the loudness of the air being pulled through the small slats, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The fans will be louder than the air whooshing.

Highlighted
5 Tungsten

@wxperson999  Probably a minor thing but I am not sure what you mean by "The inserts on the front bezel need to be cut with a Dremel cutting wheel."

As pointed out by @GTS81  this would only need to be done if you are installing dust filters on the outside of the case. This is not required for cooling.

5 Tungsten

@wxperson999    which heatsink/fan do you think is better

I have no personal experience with the Arctic Freezer, so I cannot say for certain.

Having said that, the blower fan concept looks like it would be more conducive to the very small space remaining once the PSU swing out contraption is closed. Pushing the heated air out toward the top exhaust fan seems better than blowing it toward the mobo.

The Arctic Freezer is inexpensive, so it may be worth a test.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

I remember glancing a similar discussion before this. Found it:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-i7-8700-3rd-party-CPU-cooler/m-p/6108230/highli...

There's also posts by @sparkymark75 on @HanoverB's thread:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-GPU-and-CPU-Liquid-Cooler-PSU-Case-Swap-Upgrade...

However, he stopped short of making the Arctic Freezer 11 LP work in his nano-case rig and moved on to something bigger and better (seems to be the trend here).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

@GTS81   @wxperson999 

However, he stopped short of making the Arctic Freezer 11 LP work

Not many (if any) users are going to pull out a blower style fan/heatsink and replace it with a $15 Arctic Freezer.  Most users "upgrading" to the Arctic Freezer are replacing the OEM toy fan/heatsink that comes with the 65 watt (non K) CPUs. I would say that the Arctic Freezer may be a improvement over that OEM CPU cooler.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

One is better, on the bottom.

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Why is everybody hooked on Noctua fans? I doubt if they are any better. Where is the silver bullet?

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

>>Why is everybody hooked on Noctua fans? I doubt if they are any better. Where is the silver bullet?

They probably compare fan performance specs, warranty, included bits, product application information provided by the maker, and actual user reviews and then go with what feels best for their application, time, and money.  Fans are relatively cheap so cost is probably not a main deciding factor.

Apparently Noctua is winning market share.  Nothing wrong with that.

GK

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Could you please tell us some words about the productivity of this cooler?

I mean if you start the computer, start the Dell diagnostic at the same time and computer starts from cold what RPM of the CPU fan and the exhaust fan the system reach?

And also what the temperature CPU reach at your the heaviest load?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

@vehf277    Could you please tell us some words . . .

To which cooler are you referring . . . Arctic Freezer or the blower style fan/heatsink?

What kind of top exhaust fan are you running . . . 92mm or 120mm?

What CPU do you have? . . . full length graphics card or the short style? . . . 0, 1, or 2 front intake fans? . . . what computer do you have?

Every setup gives a different result.

0 Kudos