Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 8930 SE, Exhaust Fan and PSU Upgrade

Hello all, I am sorry I do not come here with answers but I  have a question:

I did the swap with a 120mm top fan in my xps8930 and now it can't restart.

The shutdown works, but when I'm trying to restart it get stuck.

Any clues?

Thanks

Jno

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

>> Hello all, I am sorry I do not come here with answers but I  have a question:
I did the swap with a 120mm top fan in my xps8930 and now it can't restart.
The shutdown works, but when I'm trying to restart it get stuck.
Any clues?

Is there a got stuck message?

What fan did you install?

GK

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi,

I have installed the  Noctua NF-s12A FLX 3pin that i have seen on these forum.

The Fan is running well full rpm at very low noise (maybe that is why noctua's fan are popular 🙂 )

When I shut down the computer, everything is closing then the fan stops when the power is off.

when i try to restart, everything is closing normally, the screen goes black, but the fan continue to

spin as the power stays on and it stays stuck in this state (I have tried to wait for about 10 mn before

doing a hard reset)

Is there something that need to be changed in the Bios maybe?

Thanks

Jno

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

@jnno   Is there something that need to be changed in the Bios maybe?

I don't know if BIOS will help. I suspect the 'failure on re-start' is unrelated to your fan swap.

You replaced the top exhaust fan with a 3-pin Noctua fan, and that new fan is plugged into the Top Fan header on the mobo, correct?  Can you post a photo or two of the inside of your case?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Yes it is plugged in the top fan header, same as the old fan except for the 3 pin instead of four,

and it is on the right side of the plug.

I can upload some photos, but I have the version with the CPU cooler  fan blower and radiator that covers

everything. I don't think it will be really helpful 🙂 

IMG_1114.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

@jnno   I can upload some photos, but . . .

Aside from all of you components being installed upside down . . . if you want to help your case temps, snap another 120mm intake fan into the lower front position with the Aurora R5/6/7 fan bracket (super simple). Also, remove the empty HDD cage for better air flow. I can't tell for certain if you also have a HDD in the top front. If not, move the one from the bottom up there and help the air flow for your graphics card. Don't leave any empty HDD cages blocking air flow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

>>I have installed the  Noctua NF-s12A FLX 3pin that i have seen on these forum.

Is this new fan connected to the 3 pins on the right side of the 4-pin motherboard case fan header?

If you disconnect the new fan and reconnect the old fan, does the computer boot normally?

If you had bought the PWM version, you'd have the option to run it in 3-pin (full RPM) or 4-pin mode (BIOS controlled RPM).

GK

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks for your answer,

yes the new fan is connected on the right side of the 4 pin header.

On this model with this kind of CPU cooler I have to remove everything just to check the connection, so troubleshooting is a bit unfriendly. But your suggestion is good.

I have serious Heat issues with this case and what Dell let me put inside without warning so I am on the fence here, I am seriously considering ripping this thing apart and build something better with some of the parts (CPU,GPU,ram,PSU) in a new case and maybe a new mobo.

So I think I will live with this issue for now, as a matter of fact I can do a restart, I just have to do it manually 🙂 .

Thank you again

Jno

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

@jnno    I have serious Heat issues with this case and what Dell let me put inside without warning so I am on the fence here, I am seriously considering ripping this thing apart and build something better with some of the parts (CPU,GPU,ram,PSU) in a new case and maybe a new mobo.

If you love your pc components but you just can't take the heat, consider an external radiator and some CPU/VGA water blocks. (click photo to embiggen)

w47.JPG

19.JPG

w48.JPG

with PSU swingout contraption 

Liquid Cooling without PSU swingout contraption 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

This is great fun, maybe when i'll retire 🙂 

But for now I had my problem solved the radical way.

The initial trouble was the very poor heat management of the XPS 8930 despite the description on the Dell website, this is purely false.

When you put a I9 9900k in a Aurora system on the website you've got a warning that you have to take watercooling option. For the

XPS 8930 nothing, there is no warning (there is no watercooling option anyway, that is why I guess) . 

So with this thing in the case plus the GPU I was hitting 85 Celsius with peaks at 95 Celsius on some application, and this is winter in Canada...

In summer this thing is going to melt. 

So this is it, I have picked up a new case, a new motherboard, a CPU cooler, and with the pieces (CPU,GPU,PSU,SSD,etc...) I have build a new computer.

For now I've never had more than 55 Celsius (peak) in two days (same apps) and it is restarting OK 🙂

Never say never, but it was my last Dell for a while.

Jno

0 Kudos